Ramsgate ...an apology.

Vara

Visit site
Based on previous experience at every opportunity I have slagged off Ramsgate, well having just visited again, both the marina and the town has cleaned up its act.

Marina...good facilities, staff with a " nothing too much trouble" attitude, stunning Wifi. Not cheap though!!

Town, some very interesting boozers and eateries, all very clean and civilised.

Tiller Girl

Visit site
Semi pot luck. They tell you which row to aim for and that's it - in our case the row for which the letter is missing so we had to turn round (wooden, long keel, cantankerous) in front of two German super smooth yachts! Didn't hit them though. Very expensive, not that's not accurate, very very expensive just under £30 for a 32ft yacht.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
do you still have to take pot luck when finding a berth or are they now allocating berths on arrival in the harbour?

I'd rather have the pot luck than having to find that the berth we have been allocated is totaly unsuitable for a boat our size. (As happened to us twice before).

Despite all its faults, I have always liked Ramsgate.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Likewise, it was always our stop of choice. But then Dover was reduced to £11 (TransEurope) or free on the many occasions we've anchored in the harbour. It's an utter dump but you get a cracking tide down there and often it's only 90 minutes extra from Ramsgate to Dover

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Based on previous experience at every opportunity I have slagged off Ramsgate, well having just visited again, both the marina and the town has cleaned up its act.

Marina...good facilities, staff with a " nothing too much trouble" attitude, stunning Wifi. Not cheap though!!

Town, some very interesting boozers and eateries, all very clean and civilised.

Might have to go there for good if they turn your current slot into a lorry park.And me.:(

pvb

Visit site
Dover as a town is grim, but the marina is very helpful, and it's easy to get in and out of the port, with superb Port Control response. Also, which is important if single or short-handed, there's loads of space to sort out fenders and lines in sheltered water. I stayed there on Tuesday night - £23 for 11.5 metres can't be bad.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
No one believes we're 10m. I have a measurement certificate to show 10.03m. It's just that Colvic Watson's are big boned so to speak. Genuinely 4m, we're practically half as wide as we're long :eek:

toad

Visit site
Ramsgate has certainly improved since I was last there. Find the village grill in the town, it looks a bit greasy spoon but will do a lovely roast dinner for £6, they are not the fastest of service but it is fresh.

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
I would say it's fine unless you have to berth on the visitors linear, the hamnerheads inside those or the east linear. In those cases, the swell coming in the entrance is appalling. It's like being at sea still. One poor yacht had to move in the dark when we were there and the elderly crew struggled to get off and on the boat because she was moving up and down so much. Agree that it's massively expensive too. £42 a night for us at (ahem) 14m ! As for eateries, there's a cafe under one of the arches that does a great brekkie and the place in the port control building does a mean roast with views out to sea.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Back in the 80's, one of the finest French restaurants used to be in the old part of the town called "Gaslight". It was run by two Gay men, who not only served at the table, but cooked the food. There were only a few tables so they could cope. Many French people knew about it, who were presumably sailing from or to France. Some of the dishes would be flambe'd at the table and were simply delightful. The decor wasn't all frilly, but basic scrubbed tables with a bottle and a candle in the middle. It was an excellent reason to go to Ramsgate.

Tomahawk

Visit site
At £42 for 14m we will think carefully about visiting there...
Doesanyone know if yhey surcharge proper boats?

And how is the depth? Last time we were there many of the berths in the outer marina were pretty close to becoming mud berths....

Tiller Girl

Visit site
At £42 for 14m we will think carefully about visiting there...
Doesanyone know if yhey surcharge proper boats?

And how is the depth? Last time we were there many of the berths in the outer marina were pretty close to becoming mud berths....

Where they send visitors seem to have sufficient depth but the other side of the walkway/pontoon where there were only local small boats was badly silted - mind you the Border Agency boat still got alongside the wall. But all the modern racers were gathering for Ramsgit week as we left and I guess they all had deep keels and didn't seem to have a problem.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Semi pot luck. They tell you which row to aim for and that's it - in our case the row for which the letter is missing so we had to turn round (wooden, long keel, cantankerous) in front of two German super smooth yachts! Didn't hit them though. Very expensive, not that's not accurate, very very expensive just under £30 for a 32ft yacht.

Unless things have changed they would like you to pay that rate even if rafted on the outside of the Eastern Marina breakwater :ambivalence:

As an aside, are Dover still operating the code system for getting shore power?