Rafting etiquette

RJJ

Visit site
But the OP came on here for opinion, and it seems to me he doesn't like what the considerable majority of responders have opined.

I don't particularly like it when people disagree. Who does? But fair enough.
This thread and others have thrown up useful suggestions such as carpets, rubber mats, overshoes etc which are reasonable, and welcome.

And shown that some people don't give a damn, so be it. There are those that agreed with me and those that disagreed. I took the vague liberty of totting up responses and including "likes" that were favourable to my view of the world. And I didn't count very carefully, mea culpa.

It doesn't matter a stuff whether the decks are new or second-hand. What matters is I want to look after them; I consider it idle and wasteful not to. Likewise I consider it idle and wasteful to heave on guardrails and to bring avoidable dirt on GRP decks; teak or not, mine or yours. If I set foot on your decks I and my crew will have clean shoes or bare feet, to the benefit of your decks and you are welcome.

What I expect is a polite request to be met respectfully e.g. (as was suggested) "I don't want to take my shoes off but I'll definitely check they are clean". Fair enough. But instead I got dirty hoofprints. Not fair enough.

What I particularly dislike, and indicated I dislike, is being called "materialistic prissy-knickered get-over-yourself" and the rest. It's beastly, boring, and most of all gives me the impression that the aggressors in this post not only wouldn't remove footwear, but generally wouldn't give a flying sh1t, not about the decks nor the guardrails nor the fenders nor the shorelines etc. Some of you give the impression that if you were asked to do anything you didn't feel like doing, you would make yourself some excuse not to do it.

Which is interesting. I think I may be younger than many of you; I was taught to sail by people older than many of you, and the guiding principle was you observe, within reason, what the inside skipper asks. That included specifically removing shoes, per the RYA informal guidance. And I shall stick to it

ashtead

Visit site
It’s not only the shoes of course but also the weight and number of legs which might cause concern. As a dog owner I always try to avoid rafting to avoid disturbing others when with our canine crew but I object more to heavy crew bouncing across the deck most of all but sadly I guess a weight limit on rafters isn’t practical , but a ban on obese rafters might also be beneficial . It seems that a benefit of CV19 is a reduction in rafting and many marinas seem to have got this point currently at least.

johnalison

Visit site
Seriously? Please - I hope thats said in humour.
Almost certainly, but obese people are sometimes very light on their pins, though I think this mainly refers to men. I remember watching a spherical barrister in Deauville crossing a couple of boats to reach his own and it was like watching a fairy tripping across the grass, though I hasten to say that that is something I have never actually witnessed.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It's beastly, boring, and most of all gives me the impression that the aggressors in this post not only wouldn't remove footwear, but generally wouldn't give a flying sh1t, not about the decks nor the guardrails nor the fenders nor the shorelines etc. Some of you give the impression that if you were asked to do anything you didn't feel like doing, you would make yourself some excuse not to do it.
I cannot speak for any "aggressors", but when rafted I am meticulously careful about other people's boats. I am also careful to make it as easy as possibly for other people to cross mine. We are sharing a resource, and I have no right to inconvenience them to any extent more than is unavoidable.

The image of someone saying "Please take your shoes off, as my decks can't take being walked on" is, I'm afraid, a bit silly. Sorry.

James_Calvert

Visit site
I have once demanded rafters remove their shoes, the occasion was in St Peter Port: the footwear were heavy clumpy things then in fashion for a night out. We have also had decks sprinkled with strawberry or raspberry juice from a leaky gashbag: this was particularly annoying.

On the other hand we've managed our way across numerous foredecks, some with sails across them, others with inflatable dinghies, wind surfers, SUP boards, open hatches, awkwardly placed stays and shrouds, ridiculously high topsides, dinky toy boats that would have been better outside or elsewhere which heel alarmingly when stepped on, toe rails to stand on, varnished ones to avoid etc etc and have never been asked to remove our shoes, sandals, flip-flops, wellies or whatever.
But until reading this thread I had no idea that some owners allow their dogs to foul their decks and don't clear up right away.

Every day's a learning day I suppose. But yuk really?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I cannot speak for any "aggressors", but when rafted I am meticulously careful about other people's boats. I am also careful to make it as easy as possibly for other people to cross mine. We are sharing a resource, and I have no right to inconvenience them to any extent more than is unavoidable.

The image of someone saying "Please take your shoes off, as my decks can't take being walked on" is, I'm afraid, a bit silly. Sorry.

This seems to be a very reasonable response.
As for those who feel that if they raft up but then expect those on the outer raft to remove their shoes before crossing their boats, unless as in #147 where the footwear described was not really reasonable for clumping across someone else's deck, then sorry just don't go where you may have to raft up.
As JumbleDuck points out we are sharing a resource not a private mooring, so just be sensible, treat other owners boats with respect, but in return don't expect to have demands such as 'no shoes' to be a condition of crossing to shore.

superheat6k

Visit site
... I had no idea that some owners allow their dogs to foul their decks and don't clear up right away.

Every day's a learning day I suppose. But yuk really?
Well, and as trained as my dog Archie is and indeed he is encouraged to use the foredeck for his toiletry purposes, I haven't yet got him trained sufficiently to pick the stuff up, scrub off the deck afterwards, although he does sort of hose it down, and oh yes - he generally prefers to keep these events private, like most of us, so no generally he doesn't piss and tell either !

So if he goes out for his Morning George at 7.30 AM and I don't make it out there until 8.30 so what - it's my deck and besides allowing it to crust off a bit reduces the 'scent'. If rafted it remains open to others outboard of me to cross, but perhaps I should encourage wearing (sensible) shoes !

I would certainly recognise nil liability at all for someone treading in his doings and wrecking their brand new after yachting strides, or even slipping up on the stuff, indeed I think I would have a right to be damned annoyed that they have carelessly spread the mess around.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Well, and as trained as my dog Archie is and indeed he is encouraged to use the foredeck for his toiletry purposes, I haven't yet got him trained sufficiently to pick the stuff up, scrub off the deck afterwards, although he does sort of hose it down, and oh yes - he generally prefers to keep these events private, like most of us, so no generally he doesn't piss and tell either !

So if he goes out for his Morning George at 7.30 AM and I don't make it out there until 8.30 so what - it's my deck and besides allowing it to crust off a bit reduces the 'scent'. If rafted it remains open to others outboard of me to cross, but perhaps I should encourage wearing (sensible) shoes !

I would certainly recognise nil liability at all for someone treading in his doings and wrecking their brand new after yachting strides, or even slipping up on the stuff, indeed I think I would have a right to be damned annoyed that they have carelessly spread the mess around.
I specifically encourage my 2 dogs to leave landmines up front to discourage all bit the brave to navigate this bio hazard in their inebriated state at night.
It is a source of great hilarity to here sweary words and a slip and bump on my deck .
Only in jest ofc.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Perhaps ( I have no view to share on that point - do you have a gun ? ) - but the OP came on here for opinion, and it seems to me he doesn't like what the considerable majority of responders have opined. Perhaps he should therefore at least understand his expectations of boating are not what others might more generally expect or agree with, when in a public mooring situation. Thus he has several choices - perhaps always be the outside boat or do not use public moorings, but do not be surprised when perfectly reasonable and sensible shoe wearing boaters refuse to remove their shoes to exercise their unwritten right to cross an inside boat on a publicly shared mooring.
I have two large safes in my house. One is narrow and tall, the other is much smaller and square. They have both been subject to police certification. ;)

Richard

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
The OP’s boat was ‘new to them’. In other words it was second hand and not brand new.
You might not have any ‘deck shoes’ but substitute‘ footwear suitable for boating’. Thousands of people at the boat show turn up in everyday walking shoes that are very much not suitable for walking across brand new decks - whatever they’re made of.

Very much not the same.

I’ll bet that even you in your ‘we don’t have any deck shoes’ boat draw the line at people who try to wear trainers that leave marks everywhere. If you don’t you’re a rare exception.
Trainers is what I have.

Richard

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
This thread and others have thrown up useful suggestions such as carpets, rubber mats, overshoes etc which are reasonable, and welcome.

And shown that some people don't give a damn, so be it. There are those that agreed with me and those that disagreed. I took the vague liberty of totting up responses and including "likes" that were favourable to my view of the world. And I didn't count very carefully, mea culpa.

It doesn't matter a stuff whether the decks are new or second-hand. What matters is I want to look after them; I consider it idle and wasteful not to. Likewise I consider it idle and wasteful to heave on guardrails and to bring avoidable dirt on GRP decks; teak or not, mine or yours. If I set foot on your decks I and my crew will have clean shoes or bare feet, to the benefit of your decks and you are welcome.

What I expect is a polite request to be met respectfully e.g. (as was suggested) "I don't want to take my shoes off but I'll definitely check they are clean". Fair enough. But instead I got dirty hoofprints. Not fair enough.

What I particularly dislike, and indicated I dislike, is being called "materialistic prissy-knickered get-over-yourself" and the rest. It's beastly, boring, and most of all gives me the impression that the aggressors in this post not only wouldn't remove footwear, but generally wouldn't give a flying sh1t, not about the decks nor the guardrails nor the fenders nor the shorelines etc. Some of you give the impression that if you were asked to do anything you didn't feel like doing, you would make yourself some excuse not to do it.

Which is interesting. I think I may be younger than many of you; I was taught to sail by people older than many of you, and the guiding principle was you observe, within reason, what the inside skipper asks. That included specifically removing shoes, per the RYA informal guidance. And I shall stick to it
Sums it up rather well. ;)

Richard

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Trainers is what I have.

Richard
Good for you. You may have noticed that they come in various styles and makes. Some makes have soles that are like crayons on GRP and decks and If you say you allow those on your boat I don’t believe you.

My point was that 99.9% of people on boats wear footwear that’s appropriate and suitable. Unlike a lot of people at the boat show.

QED.

john_morris_uk

I don’t have much of a problem with any of this. After all, I quote from a previous post of mine:

“ However it takes all sorts and no doubt I’d comply if asked.”

I’ve often removed shoes when visiting boats in the med so I’m no stranger to the practice. Rafting up in the UK I’m not so sure... but I would be making sure my deck shoes were clean and I’d definitely be wiping feet on a mat put out for the purpose.

In real life, I hope we’d end up sharing a glass or two as rafting up is invariably a sociable experience.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
It's just occurred to me that if you take your shoes off on a dirty quaysiide before you step on to someone's deck then you will likely be carrying more dirt on your foot than you would be if you had kept your shoes on. Maybe not if you've got a pair of those deck shoes with razor cut soles. Certainly a tricky business. Maybe you could call the OP up on deck to inspect your feet?

johnalison

Visit site
In real life, I hope we’d end up sharing a glass or two as rafting up is invariably a sociable experience.
How I wish that were true. You clearly have never had a boat with four blokes turn up halfway through the evening, make a feeble attempt at securing ther boat, go across your boat en masse several times for no obvious reason, finally go ashore for entertainment, returning at around 2am, and spend the next morning trying to fumigate your cockpit with their cigarette smoke.

Either that, or you're a saint.

johnalison

Visit site
It's just occurred to me that if you take your shoes off on a dirty quaysiide before you step on to someone's deck then you will likely be carrying more dirt on your foot than you would be if you had kept your shoes on. Maybe not if you've got a pair of those deck shoes with razor cut soles. Certainly a tricky business. Maybe you could call the OP up on deck to inspect your feet?
Most rafting is on pontoons, but dirty quays can be a problem even for anyone moored there. A mat on the side deck is about all one can do in mitigation.

john_morris_uk

How I wish that were true. You clearly have never had a boat with four blokes turn up halfway through the evening, make a feeble attempt at securing ther boat, go across your boat en masse several times for no obvious reason, finally go ashore for entertainment, returning at around 2am, and spend the next morning trying to fumigate your cockpit with their cigarette smoke.

Either that, or you're a saint.

I have experienced that - or similar. But it's relatively rare and usually rafting is a sociable experience.

I recall that we used to have a rope mat on some of the boats at JSASTC. It was woven in an idle moment from a few metres of old halyard or the like. Just like this:

jac

Visit site
Most rafting is on pontoons, but dirty quays can be a problem even for anyone moored there. A mat on the side deck is about all one can do in mitigation.

Realistically though - not wearing boat shoes won't stop dirt blowing down onto the boat. The quay will probably have some dust on it, any rain will wash out dust etc from the atmosphere, you'll spread hair, skin cells, crumbs of food just by being near it. Salt will dry on it, birds will crap on it. It's going to get dirty. if you then walk on it, it will get ground in.

Are you entitled to ask people. yes of course. ask what you like. You can ask to sleep with the attractive daughter of the guy moored next to you but for either of them don't expect a positive reaction. Personally i would interpret it as rude and inconvenient but probably do it then post on here along the lines of " you'll never guess what some guy asked me to do!"