Rafting etiquette

johnalison

Visit site
Realistically though - not wearing boat shoes won't stop dirt blowing down onto the boat. The quay will probably have some dust on it, any rain will wash out dust etc from the atmosphere, you'll spread hair, skin cells, crumbs of food just by being near it. Salt will dry on it, birds will crap on it. It's going to get dirty. if you then walk on it, it will get ground in.

Are you entitled to ask people. yes of course. ask what you like. You can ask to sleep with the attractive daughter of the guy moored next to you but for either of them don't expect a positive reaction. Personally i would interpret it as rude and inconvenient but probably do it then post on here along the lines of " you'll never guess what some guy asked me to do!"
I have never been refused by the daughter of a neighbour, but then again, I've never been accepted either.

RupertW

Visit site
I don't particularly like it when people disagree. Who does? But fair enough.
This thread and others have thrown up useful suggestions such as carpets, rubber mats, overshoes etc which are reasonable, and welcome.

And shown that some people don't give a damn, so be it. There are those that agreed with me and those that disagreed. I took the vague liberty of totting up responses and including "likes" that were favourable to my view of the world. And I didn't count very carefully, mea culpa.

It doesn't matter a stuff whether the decks are new or second-hand. What matters is I want to look after them; I consider it idle and wasteful not to. Likewise I consider it idle and wasteful to heave on guardrails and to bring avoidable dirt on GRP decks; teak or not, mine or yours. If I set foot on your decks I and my crew will have clean shoes or bare feet, to the benefit of your decks and you are welcome.

What I expect is a polite request to be met respectfully e.g. (as was suggested) "I don't want to take my shoes off but I'll definitely check they are clean". Fair enough. But instead I got dirty hoofprints. Not fair enough.

What I particularly dislike, and indicated I dislike, is being called "materialistic prissy-knickered get-over-yourself" and the rest. It's beastly, boring, and most of all gives me the impression that the aggressors in this post not only wouldn't remove footwear, but generally wouldn't give a flying sh1t, not about the decks nor the guardrails nor the fenders nor the shorelines etc. Some of you give the impression that if you were asked to do anything you didn't feel like doing, you would make yourself some excuse not to do it.

Which is interesting. I think I may be younger than many of you; I was taught to sail by people older than many of you, and the guiding principle was you observe, within reason, what the inside skipper asks. That included specifically removing shoes, per the RYA informal guidance. And I shall stick to it
Oh dear, the description you object to is exactly what you have shown yourself to be.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
It's just occurred to me that if you take your shoes off on a dirty quaysiide before you step on to someone's deck then you will likely be carrying more dirt on your foot than you would be if you had kept your shoes on. Maybe not if you've got a pair of those deck shoes with razor cut soles. Certainly a tricky business. Maybe you could call the OP up on deck to inspect your feet?
I believe that the traditional razor-cut boat shoe carries more grit than almost any other.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
You can ask to sleep with the attractive daughter of the guy moored next to you but for either of them don't expect a positive reaction. Personally i would interpret it as rude and inconvenient but probably do it then post on here along the lines of " you'll never guess what some guy asked me to do!"
Rude and inconvenient to ask or to oblige?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Realistically though - not wearing boat shoes won't stop dirt blowing down onto the boat. The quay will probably have some dust on it, any rain will wash out dust etc from the atmosphere, you'll spread hair, skin cells, crumbs of food just by being near it. Salt will dry on it, birds will crap on it. It's going to get dirty. if you then walk on it, it will get ground in.

Are you entitled to ask people. yes of course. ask what you like. You can ask to sleep with the attractive daughter of the guy moored next to you but for either of them don't expect a positive reaction. Personally i would interpret it as rude and inconvenient but probably do it then post on here along the lines of " you'll never guess what some guy asked me to do!"
This is an extreme point about sleeping with a daughter'. If some one said that to me in regards to my 10 year old daughter I might with my aspergers and ADHD. Swing for them . But also if I was asked politely to remove my shoes I would compliy without hesitation because I am entering some one else's property and would not blink and eye ..
Maybe I was brought up to be respectful and understanding of others needs and wants .
I also take my shoes off if asked by others when I enter their house . I see no difference.
I have an aunt that asks me to do this and if I do not mind not to bring my dogs over. When I visit I respectfully adhere to her request as a positive respectful person
It seems that those on this thread that have an extreme view to this request have serious social issues and need to take a long hard look st themselves.
I have an excuse to be bloody minded and an arogant fool but choose not to ,,pray tell what is your excuse

RJJ

Visit site
It's not the equivalent of entering someone's house. It's the equivalent of being in someone's garden and being asked to take shoes off so as not to make the patio dirty.
...if the patio is made of thin teak planks; and if your shoes are dirty; and if the teak is otherwise hundreds of yards from sources of dirt;

and especially if replacing the teak planks costs four times as much in labour as in materials because of the need to rebed deck fittings, possibly with mast down, make it all waterproof, caulk the grooves and all the other things it takes.

Sounds like a pretty unusual patio. Or, it's not a very good comparison. Nonetheless, it's theirs, you are a guest, and why not just do what you are asked, for the sake of fifteen seconds of your life?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
...if the patio is made of thin teak planks; and if your shoes are dirty; and if the teak is otherwise hundreds of yards from sources of dirt;

and especially if replacing the teak planks costs four times as much in labour as in materials because of the need to rebed deck fittings, possibly with mast down, make it all waterproof, caulk the grooves and all the other things it takes.

Sounds like a pretty unusual patio. Or, it's not a very good comparison. Nonetheless, it's theirs, you are a guest, and why not just do what you are asked, for the sake of fifteen seconds of your life?

I'd suggest that if you have a public footpath crossing your patio you don't surface it with teak decking.

Visit site

Sorry, but all you're doing is highlighting the impracticabilty of teak as a deck material. You must surely see by now that although some might agree with you the majority aren't going to, which means that most of the people you ask to remove their shoes won't.

RichV

Visit site
Nonetheless, it's theirs, you are a guest, and why not just do what you are asked, for the sake of fifteen seconds of your life?

The point was really about the difference between inside spaces and outside spaces, not patio construction techniques. If invited down into the saloon I would happily take shoes off if asked. The deck is an outside space hence I would have shoes on, so that my socks stay clean, so I don't stub my toe, or slip in transferring between boats, or tread on a splinter or loose bit of chicken wire or duck mess in bare feet in stepping on and off the pontoon.

stranded

Visit site
Sorry, but all you're doing is highlighting the impracticabilty of teak as a deck material. You must surely see by now that although some might agree with you the majority aren't going to, which means that most of the people you ask to remove their shoes won't.
Teak is only impractical as a decking material if you are going to try to get others to treat it as your new lounge carpet. It has many practical and/or aesthetic virtues for many, including me, and one serious vice - cost. But the same could be said for the cars many people choose, the new kitchens, fancy watches, original art, designer clothes... Anyone dissing others’ choice of teak decks had better examine their own choices to make sure they only ever take the most practical, economical, option, lest they emit the whiff of hypocrisy.

johnalison

Visit site
Teak is only impractical as a decking material if you are going to try to get others to treat it as your new lounge carpet. It has many practical and/or aesthetic virtues for many, including me, and one serious vice - cost. But the same could be said for the cars many people choose, the new kitchens, fancy watches, original art, designer clothes... Anyone dissing others’ choice of teak decks had better examine their own choices to make sure they only ever take the most practical, economical, option, lest they emit the whiff of hypocrisy.
It is a natural human characteristic that people will try to justify their own choices, by hook or by crook. Those who for whatever reason, usually price, have not had teak decks will argue against them and pick up each crumb of negative comment about them. Those like me who have had the good taste and fortune (there I go) to have teak decks will praise them to the skies. Teak decks are neither good nor bad. They provide benefits not obtainable without, but at the cost of a little more trouble in care and some expense.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
It is a natural human characteristic that people will try to justify their own choices, by hook or by crook. Those who for whatever reason, usually price, have not had teak decks will argue against them and pick up each crumb of negative comment about them. Those like me who have had the good taste and fortune (there I go) to have teak decks will praise them to the skies. Teak decks are neither good nor bad. They provide benefits not obtainable without, but at the cost of a little more trouble in care and some expense.

I've got a teak deck (it came with the boat) and thoroughly dislike the thing.

RupertW

Visit site
I think your general point about justification is bang on, but although I’d always loved the idea of teak decks in the UK (not really knowing about the extra work needed), I have since learnt how horrible they are in hot climes as the slightest bit of sunshine makes them scorching hot - the only thing worse for that is fake teak.

johnalison

Visit site
I've got a teak deck (it came with the boat) and thoroughly dislike the thing.
I had given the deck no thought until we bought ours. I'd have happily bought the boat without teak if teak had been an optional extra, but having made the decision I have learned to manage it and enjoy its advantages. After twenty years it looks good for another forty, so I'm really not concerned about it's disadvantages. All our buying decisions are compromises, except for those of the super-rich, but at least I have a boat which suits me and looks quite nice, I think.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Cannot believe this is still going on now , anyways one thinks you are missing the point dear fellow . The point is it is their property and they have a vested interest in it and have asked nicely I may add to remove shoes if possible, now any decent fellow would oblige wholeheartedly with such a mundane request were as an aloof narcissist would get all heaped up about it and sweat a lot blustering away like an old fool

In my youth sailing up and down the west coast when pontoon and mooring buoys were a fantasy of the sailors today . We would moor up with the scottish fishing fleet all over scotland some times 5 deep with us the only boat with no smell of fish ,

By god if we as kids did not tip toe through the fleet my old man and uncle would be having the hand of doom out

Why because you respected their sleep and they respected our boat and they would take their boots off when crossing our decks , a little humility and respect to others makes me a better person know
We were not posh or rich just had a nice big boat and my elders taught us respect of the sea and sailing etiquette no matter what boat you were on or what decks they were , I believe I can do a seminar on it for those on here if you like you all might learn sonething :p
It's not the equivalent of entering someone's house. It's the equivalent of being in someone's garden and being asked to take shoes off so as not to make the patio dirty.

RichV

Visit site
I'll take your point about this still going on. After all, I joined the discussion a long way into it, so I'll make this my last post on the subject.

I don't think it's a mundane request because it isn't a matter of mere inconvenience. I think it's impractical and unwise to cross a raft of boats without adequate footwear for the reasons I posted earlier. So I would decline as politely as I was asked. If you think that makes me an 'aloof narcissist who would bluster away like an old fool' then quite frankly you're just making stuff up to try to prove a point.

I don't know what to make of your tale of when you were a lad. I try to be a good raft-neighbour as it is, so I'll give your lecture a miss thanks. Feel free to have the last word, I've given my input to the op's question so I'm done.

[2574]

Visit site

i understand your objective in your approach. Clearly it is not widely appreciated by others. Fair enough. Just like some people pay £500k for a 40 foot Scandinavian yacht because they love the qualities of the workmanship and exquisite construction other people choose to spend £150k on the same size yacht as they see function over form and are concerned less about aesthetics. Put these two groups of people in an enforced get together then there are likely to be differences of opinion. The French largely see their boats purely as a tool for the job. No polishing. Who cares about a scratch. What dirt? They simply don’t see it.

So, best to anchor off, take a finger berth and not expose the oil to the water.

NormanS

Visit site
Since with our present boat, we are almost never alongside anywhere, I have very little current experience of rafting. Our boat is not a status symbol sitting in a marina. It is for sailing and cruising, with all that that entails. Mainly we anchor, so it is normal for mud and sometimes weed, to come aboard, which then gets washed off with the deckwash hose. If someone is so materialistic and obsessive that they go all bubbly at the idea of other yachtspeople crossing their decks in their ordinary sailing shoes, maybe they should avoid the possibility by never going in alongside. PS I don't have teak decks.