R/C Boat help?

B175Chris

Visit site
Hi All

Reading about the Lidl r/c sailing boat and found a Mobo version, one of the many out there i'm sure:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=46910&doy=10m5#faq

Now it says on the website the chargeup time is 5 hours but the running time is a mere 12 minutes!

Even my bayliner doesnt use that much fuel! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So question is really, what's the best (and cheapest) R/C boat you've ever bought as i'm on the lookout... hopefully for something that lasts a bit longer though...

cheers

Chris

landlockedpirate

Visit site
These little electric motors are very power hungry, if you want speed they dont last long !!

I doubt you will even get 10 minutes out of a quick boat, but buy a spare battery and you can get 12volt 'quick' chargers. These take about 15-30 mins.

Mark

Alrob

Visit site
as already said - you use a fast charger - but the charger will cost more than the model

also these are chinese imports dont expect them to last

mjkinch1

Visit site
My dad builds model boats - this is a PT boat he put together a couple of months ago, its about 4ft long, and is powered by twin shafts, I think they are 800w motors, powered by two large 6 volt batteries, with lots of electrics. And of course a Remote controller.

boat1-2.jpg

boat3-1.jpg

Great fun on the canal, but sadly unused now, so open to reasonable offers!

dpb

Visit site
The only way to get good speed and good run time is to go with an IC engine, but these are much more money and some types of engine are a pain to get running. They are very quick however.

B175Chris

Visit site
Under £30? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Would love to be mechanically and electronically-minded enough to be able to do that kind of thing though I have to say...

Not really what i'm looking for but just out of interest, what kind of money would you say was a reasonable offer?

Sixpence

Visit site
WOW , now THAT is what I call a model , I love PT's and MTB's , probably out of my price bracket ( purse string holder says so anyway ) but that is definately on my want list

Alrob

Visit site
the value is in the labour - which you are meant to do yourself /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
The last boat I made was a scale model of a harbour launch so I know that , but that is so much better than my effort was because we all have different skills , and model making isn't one of mine

Alrob

Visit site
no nor me - but Im good at wrecking them /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
my effort sprang a leek in the keel after a month , so it filled to about a third full within ten minutes , but its power pack usually lasted a good thirty minutes if I was careful so when I realised it was sinking I had enough power left to just make it to the riverbank before it sank