Quick roller headsail question

Tam Lin

Visit site
Fitting the headsail to Tam Lin this evening an pulled it up to the top of the furler then noticed there was a gap of about nine inches between the bottom of the sail and the furler drum. I lowered the sail to secure it but am wondering if that was the best thing to do or should I have the sail ad high as possible and secure the foot to the drum with cable or rope. Yes I know that I could look it up but am completely cream crackered and hope that someone can give me a quick reply.

Spyro

Visit site
I would say keep it low as possible. keeps all the pull from the sail lower down and will cause less heeling.

VicS

Visit site
I agree as low as possible but you might want to raise it a bit to clear the rail or to improve visibility.

Experiment, then if you decide to raise it a bit get a short wire strop made of the appropriate length.

If you have a halyard diverter on the mast, as opposed to one of those wheel things on the top of the spar, its position comes into the equation too.

Finally you will need to look at the sheeting position and if the existing track gives the range of adjustment you will need