Queenborough

xyachtdave

Visit site
Queen Phillippa hotel at the end of the High St.

Believe me I've tried everywhere and that's currenty the best there!

oldgit

Visit site
A ex local speaks out.............

Have eaten at the QP in Queenborough High St several times.

Cuisine on the island has evolved over the years between a choice of boiled or stewed rat perhaps varied with the odd bit of road kill, up to the present day where your only decision is to where you threw you Mcdonalds or Kentucky Chicken wrappers out the car window.
Most pubs on the area serve up whatever pre cooked food factory packs happen to be in the freezer.Sometimes its not frozen in the middle and not burnt on the outside,

The Phillipa has struck out on a brave path in providing well cooked local food and dared to mention the word "Salad " on their menu. A decent selection of wines and beers and the staff are well informed and friendly.
No silly Whitstable (Kensington -on -Sea) prices either .
On the way up,have look in the church tiny front graveyard and find the tombstone which states more or less

You who stand there reading this and looking down, will be down here soon enough looking up. ! :)

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
A ex local speaks out.............

Have eaten at the QP in Queenborough High St several times.

Cuisine on the island has evolved over the years between a choice of boiled or stewed rat perhaps varied with the odd bit of road kill, up to the present day where your only decision is to where you threw you Mcdonalds or Kentucky Chicken wrappers out the car window.
Most pubs on the area serve up whatever pre cooked food factory packs happen to be in the freezer.Sometimes its not frozen in the middle and not burnt on the outside,

The Phillipa has struck out on a brave path in providing well cooked local food and dared to mention the word "Salad " on their menu. A decent selection of wines and beers and the staff are well informed and friendly.
No silly Whitstable (Kensington -on -Sea) prices either .
On the way up,have look in the church tiny front graveyard and find the tombstone which states more or less

You who stand there reading this and looking down, will be down here soon enough looking up. ! :)

Best food review i've read for a while :):)

apollo

Visit site
Cheapo Carvery in the Flying Dutchman, it ain't Cordon Bleu but it is fine after a long day and not so far to walk.

Tin Tin

Visit site
I'm now wondering whether I should have asked where the best place is on the Medway to visit ;-)

monty684a.jpg

oldgit

Visit site
Cheapo Carvery in the Flying Dutchman, it ain't Cordon Bleu but it is fine after a long day and not so far to walk.

The word "walk" is one that the locals will not be familiar with, even the shortest journies require turning the volume up to full before gunning your Corsa across the road to the chippy/betting shop/ local dealer or your fence of choice :)

Last edited:

lydiamight

Visit site
Fond memories of a "lock in" at The Queenborough Yacht Club many years ago (before the building of the All Tide Landing)---plenty of exercise as we moved the dinghy up and down the old slipway as the tide came in and then went out, can't remember if it came in again as we were there for such a long time.

slowboat

Visit site
Micro pub between the Old house at home and the Dutchman was Ok a couple of weeks ago, Admiral's arm I think it's called,
if you want somewhere to buy a beer.

oldgit

Visit site
Re: Queenborough goode enough fore Mr S Pepys Esq.

Friday 18 August 1665

Up about 5 o’clock and dressed ourselves, and to sayle again down to the Soveraigne at the buoy of the Nore, a noble ship, now rigged and fitted and manned; we did not stay long, but to enquire after her readinesse and thence to Sheernesse, where we walked up and down, laying out the ground to be taken in for a yard to lay provisions for cleaning and repairing of ships, and a most proper place it is for the purpose. Thence with great pleasure up the Meadeway, our yacht contending with Commissioner Pett’s, wherein he met us from Chatham, and he had the best of it. Here I come by, but had not tide enough to stop at Quinbrough, a with mighty pleasure spent the day in doing all and seeing these places, which I had never done before.

Search

[h=1]Friday 17 November 1665[/h] [Continued from yesterday. P.G.] Sailed all night, and got down to Quinbrough water, where all the great ships are now come, and there on board my Lord, and was soon received with great content. And after some little discourse, he and I on board Sir W. Pen; and there held a council of Warr about many wants of the fleete, but chiefly how to get slopps and victuals for the fleete now going out to convoy our Hambro’ ships, that have been so long detained for four or five months for want of convoy, which we did accommodate one way or other, and so, after much chatt, Sir W. Pen did give us a very good and neat dinner, and better, I think, than ever I did see at his owne house at home in my life, and so was the other I eat with him. After dinner much talke, and about other things, he and I about his money for his prize goods, wherein I did give him a cool answer, but so as we did not disagree in words much, and so let that fall, and so followed my Lord Sandwich, who was gone a little before me on board the Royall James. And there spent an houre, my Lord playing upon the gittarr, which he now commends above all musique in the world, because it is base enough for a single voice, and is so portable and manageable without much trouble. That being done, I got my Lord to be alone, and so I fell to acquaint him with W. Howe’s business, which he had before heard a little of from Captain Cocke, but made no great matter of it, but now he do, and resolves nothing less than to lay him by the heels, and seize on all he hath, saying that for this yeare or two he hath observed him so proud and conceited he could not endure him. But though I was not at all displeased with it, yet I prayed him to forbear doing anything therein till he heard from me again about it, and I had made more enquiry into the truth of it, which he agreed to. Then we fell to publique discourse, wherein was principally this: he cleared it to me beyond all doubt that Coventry is his enemy, and has been long so. So that I am over that, and my Lord told it me upon my proposal of a friendship between them, which he says is impossible, and methinks that my Lord’s displeasure about the report in print of the first fight was not of his making, but I perceive my Lord cannot forget it, nor the other think he can. I shewed him how advisable it were upon almost any terms for him to get quite off the sea employment. He answers me again that he agrees to it, but thinks the King will not let him go off: He tells me he lacks now my Lord Orrery to solicit it for him, who is very great with the King. As an infinite secret, my Lord tells me, the factions are high between the King and the Duke, and all the Court are in an uproare with their loose amours; the Duke of Yorke being in love desperately with Mrs. Stewart. Nay, that the Duchesse herself is fallen in love with her new Master of the Horse, one Harry Sidney, and another, Harry Savill. So that God knows what will be the end of it. And that the Duke is not so obsequious as he used to be, but very high of late; and would be glad to be in the head of an army as Generall; and that it is said that he do propose to go and command under the King of Spayne, in Flanders. That his amours to Mrs. Stewart are told the King. So that all is like to be nought among them. That he knows that the Duke of Yorke do give leave to have him spoken slightly of in his owne hearing, and doth not oppose it, and told me from what time he hath observed this to begin. So that upon the whole my Lord do concur to wish with all his heart that he could with any honour get from off the imployment. After he had given thanks to me for my kind visit and good counsel, on which he seems to set much by, I left him, and so away to my Bezan againe, and there to read in a pretty French book, “La Nouvelle Allegorique,” upon the strife between rhetorique and its enemies, very pleasant. So, after supper, to sleepe, and sayled all night, and came to Erith before break of day.

Last edited:

jimi

Visit site
So Wot Did Jimi Do ?
. We left Orwell at 8 and headed off, too much south in the wind for the Medway so we headed off through foulgers to Ramsgate, 12 miles short of Ramsgate we ran out of tide and were doing 2 knots over ground bashing into the tide and a F6, switched engine on and it started to overheat dumping a mix of coolant and seawater into bilge. We turned round and sailed back to Orwell cracking sail! 80 Nm in 12 hours. We ate on board ;-)

Last edited:

Triassic

Visit site
Well we had a cracking weekend doing the Swale regatta which included a proper beat down (up) the Sheppey coast from Harty to Queenborough on the Saturday before overnighting there. We stayed on the inside of the floating pontoon which is about 300m downriver from the ATL which turned out to be pretty bumpy during the last of the flood about 1am, but the trot boat service and the food/beer (BBQ) at the micro pub was excellent as was the company. Someones put a lot of effort into Queensborough recently and it shows.