Poole Harbour

lustyd

Visit site
Thinking of Poole Harbour this weekend, prefer to anchor and would like a shore trip in the dinghy for a beer and maybe food. Don't know the harbour at all though aside from staying at the haven a few times.

36' 1.9m draft

Any advice?

Tranona

Visit site
Nothing really suitable inside the harbour unless you are prepared for a long dinghy ride from the Pottery Pier end of Brownsea. Just about all the north shore except for a short stretch off Baiter is either moorings or marinas. Best marina berths in Poole Yacht Club. 15 minutes walk from the flesh pots and unlike the haven you don't have to put up with the noise and general bustle when you retire for the night.

lustyd

Visit site
Hmmm might have to be Studland then. Was hoping there's be somewhere in the south of the harbour to go ashore from south deep

capnsensible

Visit site
I used to enjoy nights rafted on the Town Quay.....is that still done?

And I always thought that if I had a bar there I would call it 'The False Amphidromic Point' to draw the sailing crowd in.

Tranona

Visit site
Hmmm might have to be Studland then. Was hoping there's be somewhere in the south of the harbour to go ashore from south deep
No, that is all National Trust and nature reserve with the odd cottage and camp site. One of the delights of the harbour is that I can anchor there as if in another world but actually see where my house is about 4 miles due north.

lustyd

Visit site
I can anchor as if in another world in Chichester too, but it's nice to know a short dinghy ride and a 20 minute walk will be rewarded with a pint 😂 really trying to avoid the pontoons as the boss likes to anchor but I may yet convince her as Poole town quay is a nice place for a wander

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
You're 'supposed' to be allowed to tie up on the quay for 3hrs free of charge (there's a designated area next to the trip boats) but the marina staff try to discourage you and send you to the marina and pay for 4hrs short stay!
This was negotiated when the marina was built, but it's difficult / impossible to find where it's written down.

colhel

Visit site
If you turn to Port once clear of the chain ferry, there's an anchorage and a fish restaurant. I last did this nearly 40 years ago when the restaurant was a cafe so can't offer a review, but would be interesting to hear one 🙂

Boathook

Visit site
I like the yacht haven on the town Quay at Poole. I've never found the noise particularly bad, but then I live next to the A24 on the Surrey / London borders.

As mentioned the south side of Poole harbour has very little which makes it nice.

You are meant to pay (£10?) for the ecco buoys at Studland via the sippi app. The reviews for the app are terrible so I won't be downloading it.

Boathook

Visit site
If you turn to Port once clear of the chain ferry, there's an anchorage and a fish restaurant. I last did this nearly 40 years ago when the restaurant was a cafe so can't offer a review, but would be interesting to hear one 🙂
Possibly need to anchor to the side of the channel. As you go close in it gets shallow.

Tranona

Visit site
Deep pockets required for the restaurant and as in post#11 very shallow although there is a landing stage in the boatyard which I think goes out far enough for some water at low tide for dinghy.

Tranona

Visit site

And I always thought that if I had a bar there I would call it 'The False Amphidromic Point' to draw the sailing crowd in.
Happy (?) memories of the rush hour waiting for the 6.30 bridge into Holes Bay on a summer Sunday evening praying that the Stuart Turner would not choose that moment to oil its plugs!