Pulled a bit of gelcoat off with the old sikaflex

seanfoster

Visit site
I've just been removing the windows and hatch from my boat, the windows came off with no problem but the front hatch had been bedded down with sikaflex or something similar.
When I eventually got it off it took a bit of gelcoat with it.
(See the photos below).

When I'm putting the hatch back, what should I do to the surrounding area, I don't want to encourage wicking or delamination so it needs looking at. Not really sure what to do - reapply some gelcoat?

Also any recommendations what to bed the frame of the hatch on? I don't want to use sikaflex or I (or the next owner) will have the same problem all over again. I was thinking of using a compressible tape for the windows, will that do?

Any help, as ever, is greatly appreciated!

knuterikt

Visit site
If the area where gelcoat is missing I would try to get some matching gelcoat.
If the will be covered by the frame you can use epoxy as an alternativ.

I have used butyl tape for my windows with success

capetown

Visit site
Yes, looks like some of the surrounding paint has to be removed, then as said in earler posts gelcoat or epoxy.

If poss try to stop any rain getting on it in the mean time.

Good idea not wanting to use a setting sealeant.

I use this "Universal Marine Bedding Sealeant"

http://www.marinemastics.com/universal-marine-bedding-sealant.html

It skins to air, but does'nt set, surplus can be cleaned off with white spirit.

Bloody site cheaper than the S brand.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I have never understood the logic of 'I might want to remove it' for something as integral a part of the boats structure as a window or a hatch. I replaced the hatches on our boat after they had been there for over twenty years - and if they get replaced again in another twenty years, I won't mind too much, and I'll worry about removing them then.

In the meantime I bed them on Sikaflex because, a) I am very confident that they won't leak if I do it properly. b) It actually makes the whole structure stronger and when waves are breaking over the boat and tonnes of water are hitting them (because that's what really happens sometimes) I have confidence in the structural integrity. c) If I really do need to remove them, even Sikaflex gives up with a bit of effort (ok its sometimes a lot of effort..)

Remove excess sikaflex with paper towels and white spirit. The white spirit is a lubricant to help get a smooth edge/finish rather than a solvent.

For what its worth, I would not be happy with windows bedded on a flexible bit of foam or non setting bedding compound. Especially on some hulls or in some circumstances as the long thin windows of some boats really does becomes part of the structure when they are bedded in place properly.

Have you noticed how flimsy the surrounds are on some windows and hatches? Even with top quality Ocean Lewmar hatches you have to be careful with the frames until they are bedded and screwed down. But when they are bedded down properly and bolted in place, the slightly wobbly flexible edge of the GRP and the hatch edge combined makes a solid structure.

Last edited:

gjgm

Visit site
I've just been removing the windows and hatch from my boat, the windows came off with no problem but the front hatch had been bedded down with sikaflex or something similar.
When I eventually got it off it took a bit of gelcoat with it.
(See the photos below).

When I'm putting the hatch back, what should I do to the surrounding area, I don't want to encourage wicking or delamination so it needs looking at. Not really sure what to do - reapply some gelcoat?

Also any recommendations what to bed the frame of the hatch on? I don't want to use sikaflex or I (or the next owner) will have the same problem all over again. I was thinking of using a compressible tape for the windows, will that do?

Any help, as ever, is greatly appreciated![/QUOTE
If this is a new boat you might get some gel to match from the dealer, otherwise you have several hours of colour matching ahead of you, if you know how to mix colours to start with.
In other words, you arent going to get a colour match. So you can touch up the damaged bits , or mask off and make a new band all the way around the window, which wont look so blotchy. Paint is going to be easier that gel, just in labour.
I dont think you are going to see delamination from this tiny area, but you could forget the gel and just paint some epoxy resin on. This isnt beneath the water line or anything critical. And even then, it would take years.

seanfoster

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's give me some food for thought.

I think I will go with epoxy, as the areas exposed are under the frame of the hatch.

As to bedding, I agree with the arguments about sikaflex about adding to the structure, I think under (perspex or similar) windows is different because they will be replaced more often than a hatch.

Once again, thanks!