Pss seal failure

sailygirl

Visit site
I had a pss seal with a water feed, fail yesterday. This was fitted professionally, just over a year. I was told by the engineer that it did not need squeezing and didnt need to do anything with it. The engineer attending breifly yesterday said that the ceramic seal showed signs of getting hot. I am going to have to fit a new one. Has anyone had a similar problem. Should I be still be squeezing the seal despite the water tube being fitted? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_6535.jpeg
    IMG_6535.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a pss seal for over 10 years without any issue,

The vent pipe looks like is goes down so could restrict any water flow. Mine is feed upwards to way above the waterline fo have feed from the raw water pump if its a high speed boat

Crinan12

Visit site
Wow unlucky. Do you have a y piece with a water feed and a breather? I can only see one pipe coming from yours? What boat? I understood that on a boat with a speed of less than 12 knots you dont need a water feed.

Does it only leak when the shaft is rotating ?

srm

Visit site
I have a similar type of seal, Maincraft (I think). This has a "Y" tube on the connector. One side takes a feed from just after the engine raw water pump and the other an open tube to well above the waterline. This will bleed any air out of the seal when launching. I replaced the seal a few years ago as had to remove the shaft to change the cutless bearing. I suspect the original seal had done about 20 years without problems.
In your case a Y connector and bleed tube may be worth adding.
Also, check that you are actually getting a water feed when the engine is running. If you have a waterline filter on the engine intake topping this up with sea valves closed when the boat is ashore should leak out of the stern tube.
Burping the seal on launching will not do any harm, and may help if you do not fit a breather/air bleed tube.

Tranona

Visit site
I had a pss seal with a water feed, fail yesterday. This was fitted professionally, just over a year. I was told by the engineer that it did not need squeezing and didnt need to do anything with it. The engineer attending breifly yesterday said that the ceramic seal showed signs of getting hot. I am going to have to fit a new one. Has anyone had a similar problem. Should I be still be squeezing the seal despite the water tube being fitted? Thanks in advance
If it is fed by a bleed from the engine then you need to check that the stern tube and rear bearing has enough clearance for the water to exit. There should be no need ever to squeeze the bellows as there should be ample clearance in the stern tube for water to flow either in from outside or from the feed. Squeezing is often required on a Volvo type seal because that does not normally have a feed or vent. However the PSS design is different.

Common problems with restricted flow are stern tube blocked with grease if the PSS replaced a stuffing box, tight clearance non fluted composite rear bearing and limited clearance between rear bearing housing and propeller - ideally 20mm minimum.

What boat is it in?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Thanks you Roger. I will check the feed. Do you squeeze the seal after it has been out of the water?

No newer need to squeeze the the seal hens the boat has been out of the water in fack my boat is in the water all year round and only come out once every 2 years for antifouling.

I just check that water flows out of the vent pipe if i have been away from the oat for some time to check if the vent becomes blocked

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have owned my PSS for many years with the only problem being crevice corrosion of the stainless steel face. I rinse the faces with fresh water at haul out and again before launching (which PSS advise)

Hoolie

Visit site
I`ve had a PSS seal for several years now without problems. It does have a feed form the raw water pump and does`t need squeezing. But I always break the seal between the stainless face and the carbon disk as it tends to get stuck after a period of not being used. This not only prevents the bellows being twisted but also allows some water to escape to lubricate the seal.

sailygirl

Visit site
I have a similar type of seal, Maincraft (I think). This has a "Y" tube on the connector. One side takes a feed from just after the engine raw water pump and the other an open tube to well above the waterline. This will bleed any air out of the seal when launching. I replaced the seal a few years ago as had to remove the shaft to change the cutless bearing. I suspect the original seal had done about 20 years without problems.
In your case a Y connector and bleed tube may be worth adding.
Also, check that you are actually getting a water feed when the engine is running. If you have a waterline filter on the engine intake topping this up with sea valves closed when the boat is ashore should leak out of the stern tube.
Burping the seal on launching will not do any harm, and may help if you do not fit a breather/air bleed tube.
Thank you. This is all very useful.
I have a sailing boat speed approx 6-7 knots but sometimes I need to put a few re s on the boat handle the wind and tide.

Is it easy to replace a pss seal? Dropping the shaft back makes me a bit nervous. How do you know that it is realigned properly?

Crinan12

Visit site
I don't have much mechanical knowledge and I fitted one to my boat recently (while out of the water). My shaft just unbolted from my gearbox coupling and I drew it back and installed the PSS seal and re attached the shaft to the coupling. I didn't need to re align anything and it was reasonably easy.

I would have fitted a volvo seal because I prefer their design but they don't fit my stern tube. Maybe they would fit yours though.

Tranona

Visit site
I have a sailing boat speed approx 6-7 knots but sometimes I need to put a few re s on the boat handle the wind and tide.

Is it easy to replace a pss seal? Dropping the shaft back makes me a bit nervous. How do you know that it is realigned properly?
See post#6. You should not need a positive water feed on a sailing boat. It is primarily power boats that need it as the speed can suck water out of the tube. However there are some boats - Contessa 32 for example - where the tube is very restricted as is the space for water to exit at the aft end so a water feed is used. Non drip seals require more water cooling than traditional stuffing boxes which rely on water slowly seeping into the packing.

From your phot there seems to be enough space to fit a Volvo type seal and the Radice version has a vent so no squeezing. you will need to check the size of your stern tube and shaft as the choice of sizes is more limited than the PSS.

Photo is of a Radice seal in my boat on a 30mm shaft.

Attachments

• IMG_20231016_165203.jpg
    IMG_20231016_165203.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 27

srm

Visit site

My boat is a cruising sailing boat so modest speeds, but as I said, not a PSS seal.
As @Crinan12 said removing and replacing the shaft is straight forward. Alignment should only be needed if you have moved the engine.
Before removing the shaft check the stern bearing for play as it can be replaced at the same time if worn.