Protecting propellers. Anodes and paint

Tranona

Visit site
There have been a number of recent threads on this subject and I thought I might share what I have done for the coming year.

My Golden Hind had no anodes for the first 40 odd years of its life (except uselessly on the steel bilge plates!) and there was no sign of any galvanic action anywhere. Four Blakes seacocks and one DZR ball valve underwater and a fixed 3 blade propeller on a stainless shaft. I have fitted a new engine and stern gear with a Featherrstream propeller. The latter does need an anode because it is mixed bronze with stainless gears and blades. The boat is only hauled once a year and I was hoping that the anode would last a year. However after 10 months the anode was over half gone and crucially, as often happens with this style had eroded around one of the fixing screws. As that lift (end of July) was primarily to change the propeller pitch I just replaced the anode. Hauled 2 weeks ago and the first photo shows the state of the anode - unlikely to last another year.

I had already had discussions with Darglow and Mike Wills who installed the engine and stern gear and come to the conclusion that a second hull mounted anode would be useful. The challenge with the hull anode was to get it as close to the propeller as possible given the back end of the hull is full of fuel tanks. The second photo shows what we managed. The next problem was how to wire it to get good consistency of contact with the shaft and therefore the propeller. The most common way is using the gearbox housing bolts, but we have fitted a Bullflex coupling which makes a wire across from the gearbox flange to the output difficult. Decision therefore was to use a shaft brush which was easy to mount on a studded bar through the mounting bolt for the inner end of the stern tube. See third photo.

I had left the prop bare hoping that it would keep clean enough but at the first liftout I was surprised at barnacles and tube worm on the blades. I am also aware that there is some support for painting propellers to reduce the surface area exposed to salt water as a way of slowing galvanic action. I have previously used Velox on propeller blades but was concerned about whether it would stick to stainless, so decided to give Hempel Ecopower which I have also used previously a try. Last 2 sinister looking photos show the result - hope it will also scare the barnacles away.

Back in the water today but obviously won't know if it is all worth it until next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_154658.jpg
    IMG_20231025_154658.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20231023_135230.jpg
    IMG_20231023_135230.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20231016_165203.jpg
    IMG_20231016_165203.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20231023_134639 (1).jpg
    IMG_20231023_134639 (1).jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20231023_134649 (1).jpg
    IMG_20231023_134649 (1).jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 84

Slipperman

Visit site
Very interesting, especially with regard to antifouling the prop. Can I ask how you prepared the prop to take the Ecopower? I know there is an Ecopower spray primer, but did you do anything else first?

NormanS

Visit site
I have a Bruntons Autoprop, which has an apparently similar anode. Mine is attached to the propeller boss by three nylon machine screws. There's not a lot of metal around the fixing holes, so to stop it getting eaten away, I put some paint on the parts of the anode closest to the holes. The anode has to be replaced annually, but at least I've never had one fall off.

Tranona

Visit site
Cleaned and degreased, abraded the blades with 120 grit. Took the shininess off them. Difficult to abrade the hub easily because of all the lumps and bumps, but made sure there was no grease around the roots of the blades. 2 coats of primer and 5 coats of top.

Tranona

Visit site
I have a Bruntons Autoprop, which has an apparently similar anode. Mine is attached to the propeller boss by three nylon machine screws. There's not a lot of metal around the fixing holes, so to stop it getting eaten away, I put some paint on the parts of the anode closest to the holes. The anode has to be replaced annually, but at least I've never had one fall off.
Yes, I painted around the holes. Fortunately the one that stayed in place on the first one held the anode on. You can see this anode is only depleted around one hole, the other was perfect. No paint on that one.

Problem with making so many changes at once is that it might be difficult to establish what makes the difference.

Neeves

Visit site
Problem with making so many changes at once is that it might be difficult to establish what makes the difference.

On top of what you have done there will also be changes in the seawater environment, warmer, colder, more or less salinity (rain) (If you keep in a marina or river fed swing mooring). How you use the yacht.

Its not easy - but thank you for documenting.

Jonathan

jwilson

Visit site
Each year I give my basic 2-blade bronze prop on P-bracket a cleanup and sand to metal, then a coat of high-zinc paint, before antifouling it. Now prop is 17 years old and no real sign of dezincification. Logically the zinc in the paint just might be doing something to protect, as well as the paint film itself isolating the bronze from the seawater. Two anodes, one a shaft collar and one a conical tip anode.

Most years there is little erosion on the anodes, except for one year when the tip anode simply vanished leaving the SS machine screw behind. Interestingly each winter when you sand back through the remnants of blue AF on the blades, you get to a creamy layer of paint, not the silvery stuff you put on (currently Rustoleum Galva Zinc which claims to be 90% zinc).

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
Different ball-game I know - brackish Baltic - but having lifted my latest boat and found prop and shaft heavily crusted .... along with all the through hulls .... I shall be applying standard eroding A/F to all those - but hard racing to main hull .... after sanding back old of course.

My idea is that I don't want paint build up on prop / shaft etc. Prop is a two blade folder so hopefully eroding will keep it for the season - then a quick scrape of remnants before applying again following season.

zoidberg

Visit site
I'm quite the Noobie at protecting my prop. ( is this topical/current affairs? )
I managed a thorough abrasion, then slapped on some Hammerite Metals Primer, followed by a couple of coats of Velox. I did the same for the s/s stripper blade just ahead of it. Time will tell....

Tranona

Visit site
I'm quite the Noobie at protecting my prop. ( is this topical/current affairs? )
I managed a thorough abrasion, then slapped on some Hammerite Metals Primer, followed by a couple of coats of Velox. I did the same for the s/s stripper blade just ahead of it. Time will tell....
The Velox should work well to keep antifoul at bay. Not sure how well it will stick to a stainless cutter. Potential adhesion problems was my main reason for not trying it on the stainless blades of my propeller.

zoidberg

Visit site
The Velox should work well to keep antifoul at bay. Not sure how well it will stick to a stainless cutter. Potential adhesion problems was my main reason for not trying it on the stainless blades of my propeller.
Yes. I had the various gunks out on t'worktop and chose to get on with the 'fitting' job after an aeon of procrastination.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I went with the old wives tale solution of pure thick lanolin. I was amazed to find after spending 18 months in the water my Maxprop was in the prime of health and cleanliness when lifted out this past summer so I did it again, we'll see how it goes.

Pye_End

Visit site
Identical set up, except a bridge over the Bullflex rather than a shaft connector.

Featherstream anode has lasted substantially longer when I started putting Velox on the prop - ie years. Well worth weighing the anode as it always looks more 'gone' than it is to me.

Although adhesion has not been perfect for the Velox coating, the Hammerite special metals primer has always been intact. 5 coats might be a bit thick, and the thickness I find counter productive. 2 modest coats enough and may well adhere better.

Tranona

Visit site
That is encouraging.

Five coats is for the spray, not Velox. Recommendation is for minimum 4. The problem with the anodes is the concentration of depletion around the fixing screw. The first one went completely around one screw even though it was still more than half the original weight. Decided on the shaft brushes because there is plenty of accessible shaft and it was easy to get a neat installation using the stern tube mounting bolt to anchor the bar. Also had experience in the past of a bridging strap failing.

Last edited:

Poey50

Visit site
Here's my Darglow after two seasons with the same prop anode and shaft anode and ready for a third. Both shaft and prop are Veloxed.

Attachments

• 20231103_153344.jpeg
    20231103_153344.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 21

Tranona

Visit site
I like the sculpting of the keel to give better flow over the prop and rudder. (y)
Yes, it needs every bit of help. This one is of course a GRP hull but the deadwoods on most of the wooden boats were more or less the same shape. Earlier boats had smaller engines and 15" propellers whereas mine has a 17" with a large blade area.