Princess 435 Service

Keith W

Visit site
My brother bought a Princess 435 what seems like ages ago now ( End of March). A marine mechanic was going to come over and take a look at it as the boat has not been moved for a few years but he then had another job to do instead of ours. He was also going to bring the boat back to our marina 150 miles from Brighton where she is now.
We had her taken out of the water for a jet wash underneath to clean her bottom and see if there were any anodes left (a couple). There are props and rudders so that was good news. Unfortunately there was no hard standing free so the boat had to go straight back in the water where she is now.
Does anyone know a Volvo mechanic that may be available who could checkout the twin 61a's (The telegraph cable is stuck on one of them so cannot engage gear) and any other running gear so that we could reliably bring her back ourselves.
The mechanic that was going to take her back to our marina said that the oil change would be done after the 150 miles trip back along with the proper service which I thought was a bit strange but could be the norm i guess as I would think that it may or may not need a fuel filter change on the journey. ( I ran 300 litres of fuel from one tank to the other as one was empty and the other full) through a 10 micron filter / water trap and the filter was clean with no debris and no water in the water trap. Electronics working and Nav lights also good.
I think Volvopaul worked on the boat many years ago but i think he is based in the Midlands so probably too far.
Any recommendations would be great.
Many thanks all.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
My brother bought a Princess 435 what seems like ages ago now ( End of March). A marine mechanic was going to come over and take a look at it as the boat has not been moved for a few years but he then had another job to do instead of ours. He was also going to bring the boat back to our marina 150 miles from Brighton where she is now.
We had her taken out of the water for a jet wash underneath to clean her bottom and see if there were any anodes left (a couple). There are props and rudders so that was good news. Unfortunately there was no hard standing free so the boat had to go straight back in the water where she is now.
Does anyone know a Volvo mechanic that may be available who could checkout the twin 61a's (The telegraph cable is stuck on one of them so cannot engage gear) and any other running gear so that we could reliably bring her back ourselves.
The mechanic that was going to take her back to our marina said that the oil change would be done after the 150 miles trip back along with the proper service which I thought was a bit strange but could be the norm i guess as I would think that it may or may not need a fuel filter change on the journey. ( I ran 300 litres of fuel from one tank to the other as one was empty and the other full) through a 10 micron filter / water trap and the filter was clean with no debris and no water in the water trap. Electronics working and Nav lights also good.
I think Volvopaul worked on the boat many years ago but i think he is based in the Midlands so probably too far.
Any recommendations would be great.
Many thanks all.
I possibly did , where is the boat now ? Yes I do live in the midlands but I feel alive on the south coast , Im here 3/4 days a week .

Keith W

Visit site
I possibly did , where is the boat now ? Yes I do live in the midlands but I feel alive on the south coast , Im here 3/4 days a week .
The boat is still in Brighton marina which is a right pain as my brother lives in Essex and I live in the West Midlands.

oldgit

Visit site
Having done that little trip three times last year with a P35, a Corniche 31 and my own boat and not having any real idea of prior service history would if at all possible get it serviced before departure.

If no luck and DIY, my main concern would first be impellers, change regardless then fuel system plus spare filters etc.
Would want full fuel aboard. before departure.
Detailed entry to all diversions on the way would be useful, Newhaven/Eastbourne/ the worrying bit to Dover and then Ramsgate.
Would also take a couple of stand alone independant Nav. systems Ipad etc.
A chart on one chartplotter we were using ended just we approached the Goodwins.
Last tip ...never ever believe a word the previous owner has said regards servicing/ mantainance or functionality of anything electronic or electrical on the boat.
The proud new owner of a Corniche berthed in Dover was adament that the previous owner had assured him that the boat had been fully serviced only months before at the end of the last season.
This produced some wry comments as we nursed a couple of very unhappy engines towards Ramsgate in less than perfect conditions.
One of of the engines decided it had finally had enough just as we entered the marina.
Both Racals were clogged solid with crud.
Racals cleaned and secondaries replaced and boat finished trip round to the Medway without incident the following weekend.

Last edited: