Primocon or Jotun Vinyguard Primer

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
Sorry, its probably been discussed before but I can't find any where that gives the pros and cons of Primocon against Jotun Vinyguard. I'm a about a third of the way through stripping the old antifoul off. Its been flaking quite a bit over the last couple of years when pressure washed, but this Spring it was flaking whilst rolling the new anti foul on. I have been using a Bosch Electric chisel that I bought some years ago to strip my last boat. I'm getting down to a bluey green layer that I think is probably Gel shield. I was originally going to prime the hull with Primocon, but I have seen a few mentions of Jotun Vinyguard. The Vinyguard seems considerably cheaper, but is it a false economy? I will be using SeaJet Shogun as it works reasonably well where I am located and have a spare can left over from last year.

ithet

Visit site
I have found that even International's own antifoul (Uno) does not stay adhered to Primocon, so I would use an alternative.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
I have used Jotun Vinyguard for year and its almost the same as International Primocon but much cheaper and no problems whatsoever.

I used International Paints antifoul for over 20 years but when International paints went stupid on their prices for their antifoul and primers I changed to Jotun Paints
some years ago and it is excellent.

FulmarJeddo

Visit site
Why not just use the Seajet primer? Newer version is 015, old is 011.
I haven't come across any comments or reviews about the Seajet primer. It was a bit of an unknown to me. I have used Primocon in the past and read good comments about Jotun. Whilst Seajet seems to be slightly cheaper than Primocon, it's £55 for 2.5L where the Jotun seems to be available at about £40 for 5L.

Quandary

Visit site
Another vote for Vinyguard, I have been slapping primer on boats since the days when Primocon was full of bitumen which bled through your TBT and have not used anything better. The Jotun stuff is a superior product, more versatile, it comes in bigger tins but keeps well for years and the prices are not nearly as silly.

FulmarJeddo

Visit site
Thanks to all those that commented on this. My local chandler had a Christmas event on Friday with some quite good discounts. I bought 2.5 L of Seajet Shogun in addition to the can I have left over from last year. During the conversation I mentioned I was about a 1/3 way through stripping the hull. He immediately suggested I needed primer. I said I was going to use Jotun and he said as a leisure chandler he is unable to buy Jotun as its only available for commercial use and confirmed it was a similar product to Primocon and Seajet.

Lightwave395

Visit site

ianabc

Visit site
Not sure it's relevant...

BUT

Primacon now I believe contains aluminium

So

Should not be used as a primer under epoxy as it will for certain lift the epoxy.

Learned from experience and by talking to manufactures tech rep. In response to written enquiry

Note that the manufacture s website does confirm

But

The information on the label does not

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Thanks to all those that commented on this. My local chandler had a Christmas event on Friday with some quite good discounts. I bought 2.5 L of Seajet Shogun in addition to the can I have left over from last year. During the conversation I mentioned I was about a 1/3 way through stripping the hull. He immediately suggested I needed primer. I said I was going to use Jotun and he said as a leisure chandler he is unable to buy Jotun as its only available for commercial use and confirmed it was a similar product to Primocon and Seajet.

The chandler is not correct, you can buy Jotun Primer and antifouls from SML Paints no problem I have for years and they have an excellent service plus delivered to your door
https://www.smlmarinepaints.co.uk/antifouling?gclid=CJ67_YWY3a8CFYsntAodRj-HAA

Lightwave395

Visit site

Quandary

Visit site
It is disappointing but not surprising that the OP places more reliance on the advice of a shop assistant than that of folk who actually have exerience of using the products, it has always been thus.
On the one hand you have a person whose motivation is to sell a more expensive product increasing his turnover and profitability while avoiding having to broaden his stock, on the other you have the PBO forum ethos, helping each other to find cheaper, better or easier solutions to problems which hopefully might also encourage suppliers to think about the value of what they offer. A shopkeeper's task is to make a profit and they are entitled to that but for many of us here it is to control the absurd costs of maintaining a boat.
If we continue to share information about value for money or better ways to do things and all act on that knowledge, you might hope that it might encourage those whose job is to sell us stuff to think that they might be better to offer value, because if they do not it will be exposed with consequent loss of business?

rudolph_hart

Visit site
Always use a well thinned first coat of primer on cast iron so it soaks into the surface.

Good point, but I'd recommend first using Jotun 2-pack epoxy metal primer, which is specifically designed for priming metal that isn't 'bright' e.g. a cast iron keel. It contains aluminium.

It's so viscous that it's virtually impossible to brush on without thinning, so first coat should be very thinned. Then fill any imperfections before applying thicker 2nd coat. Then antifoul primer.

It's very impressive stuff - did mine almost 10 years ago & it's still in excellent condition.

Hope this helps.