Preveza Anchorage some call it Hospital Bay

BurnitBlue

Visit site
The Greek coastguard are telling boatowners to move from the preveza anchorage into Cleapatra marina. Effectively pimping for the marina. I refused and sailed down to Vliho

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Greek coastguard are telling boatowners to move from the preveza anchorage into Cleapatra marina. Effectively pimping for the marina. I refused and sailed down to Vliho

That's New , never have been a problem , you have to wonder if there something going on , on your lines of thinking.
I would had done the same

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi, where precisely are you talking about as that is a huge area for anchoring. Is it just outside the marina?

I would say he talking about outside the old fishing harbour , that what we use to refer to hospital bay.

I not surprise this is happening, N , now the new marina opened athought it has always been a anchorages as long as you keep away from the channel .

Has you and I know the town wall which alway have been free , there now a charge and the last bit they wasn't changing is moving into the charging area too , even tho it can be down right dangerous to moor there when the winds are easterly

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Hi, where precisely are you talking about as that is a huge area for anchoring. Is it just outside the marina?

Yes, Vic has it outside the fishing harbour. I had been there just two days when a coastguard rib went the rounds. When i got to Vlicho was chatting with folk already there and they wondered if they were keeping the entrance to the fishing harbour clear. Did not really make sense as there is no defined entrance channel and fishing boats arrive from any direction.

One skipper thought this was the start of mooring buoys. I myself was told to move from a position nowhere near obstructing the entrance.

All the free water taps even in the fishing harbour have been turned off and replaced with those card operated plinths.

It rained a bit yesterday and I expected a tap on the shoulder to pay for it. Silly, i know but it demonstrates the suspicion folk are developing about unmitigated greed.

greeny

Visit site
Same thing happened in Portimao Portugal some 10/12 years ago. The anchorage was cleared and boats "encouraged" to use the marina as the River was not an Anchorage according to the PM. Owners clubbed together and went to see a local solicitor who wrote to both the PM and marina management requesting their legal view on the anchorage. Miraculously the practise stopped. Rumour has it that the local PM were receiving commission on boats that relocated into the marina. Never proven but highly suspicous.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Yes, Vic has it outside the fishing harbour. I had been there just two days when a coastguard rib went the rounds. When i got to Vlicho was chatting with folk already there and they wondered if they were keeping the entrance to the fishing harbour clear. Did not really make sense as there is no defined entrance channel and fishing boats arrive from any direction.

One skipper thought this was the start of mooring buoys. I myself was told to move from a position nowhere near obstructing the entrance.

All the free water taps even in the fishing harbour have been turned off and replaced with those card operated plinths.

It rained a bit yesterday and I expected a tap on the shoulder to pay for it. Silly, i know but it demonstrates the suspicion folk are developing about unmitigated greed.

Cheers, good to know, will probably be there in September, sounds as if there should not be too much of a problem finding a place to anchor

truscott

Visit site
Great! So, you splash across at Aktio and your options for the hour while you collect your Transit Log and pay your 100 Euro/month cruising tax to the Customs girl, are to pay 52 Euro for the New marina, or 20 Euro's for the wall? Just cementing my decision to relocate from the Ionion.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Great! So, you splash across at Aktio and your options for the hour while you collect your Transit Log and pay your 100 Euro/month cruising tax to the Customs girl, are to pay 52 Euro for the New marina, or 20 Euro's for the wall? Just cementing my decision to relocate from the Ionion.

BE CAREFUL some will accuse you of having a rant about their beloved Greece .:)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If that's what's happening , it's nothing unusual, for PP to do a deal with marina ,
Some years back the same happened in Messolonghi until the Greek director fall out of favour with the PP .
Some here got very excited when town harbour was being developed , same as what's happen in Vasiliki , very short sighted people ,
I not hear one person yet report they used it and the same will happen in vasilki, combine that the local boats once finish will take over the little space on the old town harbour which will only leave two option , pay marina fees ,or anchor ,
Until the PP decide to clean that anchorage too .

Not a rant just my opinion

jordanbasset

Visit site
If that's what's happening , it's nothing unusual, for PP to do a deal with marina ,
Some years back the same happened in Messolonghi until the Greek director fall out of favour with the PP .
Some here got very excited when town harbour was being developed , same as what's happen in Vasiliki , very short sighted people ,
I not hear one person yet report they used it and the same will happen in vasilki, combine that the local boats once finish will take over the little space on the old town harbour which will only leave two option , pay marina fees ,or anchor ,
Until the PP decide to clean that anchorage too .

Not a rant just my opinion

To be fair Vic since they started charging in Vassiliki a couple of the small local boats have moved from the town wall and there is now more space for visiting yachts. Yes it does cost us around 7 euros a night , although the last time we were there for 4 nights the bloke didn't come around and collect the money - so we had it for free.
I know you may not agree but in many ways I wish they did the same thing in other places, Vliho for example and get rid of some of the dead boats or rather boats that don't move for month after month

sailaboutvic

Visit site
To be fair Vic since they started charging in Vassiliki a couple of the small local boats have moved from the town wall and there is now more space for visiting yachts. Yes it does cost us around 7 euros a night , although the last time we were there for 4 nights the bloke didn't come around and collect the money - so we had it for free.
I know you may not agree but in many ways I wish they did the same thing in other places, Vliho for example and get rid of some of the dead boats or rather boats that don't move for month after month

After 9 years Neil I would had thoughts you knew what my view on boats that's been abandoned in harbour are ,
what ever the Greek can do to removed them I all for .
But unless the law change , changing mooring fees isn't going to make one bit of different , People will still dump there boats .
To remove a boat it has first got to get the court approval, that cost lots of time and money , that why you see so many abandoned boats in Ionian and Akko yard ,
What surprise me is why the harbour or local council don't remove them because dangerous of sinking , one would think they could under local harbour laws ,
but again that cost money , not as if any of them are worth anything .

On the other hand if what you mean stopping people staying days , I all for that too They should do as in Italy 48 hours then you have to go .

I not sure why you think I wouldn't agree with it , how offend over the years have a compliant about such a subject, it don't effect us one bit , how often have you seen us on town or quays ? Its not one cent out of my pocket .

Vissiliki
I can't comment on Vassiliki what's gone on in the last two years , I haven't got a clue ,
but the local boats never took any part of the harbour quay that cruiser moor to ,
the nearest they got was right in the corner by by the tables ,
And then because local boats moored where on the street wall you couldn't get 10 mts boat on there any way .
I suggest if there any reason they move into the new marina is because local boat would have some rights of using it ,
so I guess to taken there place before the abandoned boats do .

Re you stayed for four nights without paying , ( by the way I glad you mention the €7 moor fees not to give others the impression it always free like some have done on other places but then you are an upstanding guy ) , that's nothing unusual if the collector can't be bothered or busy doing something else,
it's that cruiser luck day.

The point I made and made badly it seems is everyone so excited when there see a new marina/harbour being build as if they are going to get some benefits out of it ,
Dream on guys ,
we will see what will happen in Vissiliei when it's is up and running , most likely it be lease out and run as another marina charging marina prices in which case I doubt anyone here will be using it .
It may as it happened else where give the PP the excuse to stop people anchoring in the bay , as it's used by swimmers and wind surfers
Anyway
Hope you enjoying your time back in the UK .
We loved Italy and now in France .

Please note , this is not a rant , but a reply to an old friend posting :) .

Yngmar

Visit site
Must be a very recent thing. We stopped there for a couple days, departing June 24. Plenty of boats, nobody bothered anyone. Shame, as it's a convenient stop before the Lefkas canal. Can still anchor a bit further into the gulf though. We also briefly anchored out in front of Ionion marine (aktio side) to pick up a part from their chandlery, few boats staying there as well and no trouble. Maybe recent change of government stirred up something - hopefully it'll settle down again! :)

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Must be a very recent thing. We stopped there for a couple days, departing June 24. Plenty of boats, nobody bothered anyone.p Shame, as it's a convenient stop before the Lefkas canal. Can still anchor a bit further into the gulf though. We also briefly anchored out in front of Ionion marine (aktio side) to pick up a part from their chandlery, few boats staying there as well and no trouble. Maybe recent change of government stirred up something - hopefully it'll settle down again! :)

I must correct a wrong impression about how many boats were targeted. I only described what happened to me and about ten othrr boats that i could see. There were about thirty anchored yachts and not all of them got their anchor up. Maybe half the boats moved out, i have no idea where they went, some followed me to Lefkada. If it was just coastguard filling up the marina then i am sure there could not be room for thirty boats arriving at once.
I think therefore that when the marina and the jetty are full then the few anchored boats will be left alone.
There was one other noticeable fact. The coastguard did not bother with small boats. A twenty foot flicka complete with baggywrinkle was passed by even though it was anchored next to me. So it was a selective cull of posh yachts. Hope that puts the record straight. What the future holds regarding mooring bouys was pure speculation from folk i spoke to.

alexsailor

Visit site
I heard (don't remember when or where) that Clepatra is run by albanian mafia. So...
Go to Preveza town quay, go shopping, take watter, frappe and then... Vonitsa. F... them...

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We passed the bay a few days after this event and noticed that it was pretty empty and the inland sea anchorages (Gulf of Amvrakikos) seemed a little busier during the next week. Hospital bay seemed to have a few boats at anchor a week or so later on our trip back out to sea.

Our plans to sail to Italy changed due to a minor problem and we returned to Preveza, anchoring off Cleopatra. There were 20+ boats at anchor in Hospital bay on 8th August and we assumed that all was well again.

A loud noise woke my wife on 9th and she found a weasel in the cockpit. It wasn't possible to get rid of him at anchor and we went to Preveza town Quay. Problem solved after much hosing, dismantling hatch garage etc. A whole section of the quay had been reserved for a regatta and we got the last slot next to the regatta section. We heard a lot of complaints from boats being turned away. The quay was full and boats were told to go to the marina but several said they'd tried already and the marina was full. It certainly looked a lot busier than last month.

I assumed that there would now be little reason to drive boats from the anchorage.

Some German friends dropped in today to let us know that they were in the anchorage and had a tale to tell. The Port Police had visited boats at anchor in Hospital Bay and spent quite some time there. Our friends were busy hoisting their dinghy for repairs and didn't get a visit, they suspect PP thought that they were leaving. Another German boat owner told them that the PP wanted him to complete a form giving last port, next port, etc. plus size of waste tanks, date and location they had last been emptied. He was also told that it was forbidden to release anything into the anchorage. Our friends confirmed that this meant showering, washing dishes and obviously use of heads.

I'm not 100% convinced about the grey water part but they seemed very certain.

I wondered if this was just a data gathering exercise to see if more legislation or enforcement was needed. Why only tackle boats at anchor? The town quay has a much higher boat density and boats are easier to visit. Local businesses would take a dim view of PP doing anything likely to drive people away from the quay. Perhaps it's a local problem with Hospital Bay anchorage (can't see why). It could be related in some way to the original incident OP reported.

Last edited:

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
You have to accept that Yacht Owners and flotilla yachts are the only"Cash Cow"the Greeks can milk with impunity!:rolleyes::rolleyes: