Corfu Bareboat Charter - Refusing to return our deposit

ylop

Visit site
Why would you do that? Innocent or otherwise I would think the fact you did would be a pretty big red flag for the charter company.
Not really, the plotter gets cluttered if all the past tracks are displayed and certainly for someone unfamiliar with it to work out how to save them without displaying them is likely harder than just deleting. But if there was an AIS transponder then marine traffic likely has a record anyway.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Is it usual for a charter company to get a diver to inspect the hull when the boat is returned? Do they take photos?
Yes, very common, happened on every charter I've done in last 6 years. All boats return to base for changeover on Sat morning. Diver jumps in at one end and gives thumbs up (or not) as he proceeds down the line of boats.

wonkywinch

Visit site
I believe they photograph if there is damage but I've always had the thumbs up. I've also always taken out deposit insurance to save any arguments with friends I go sailing with if one of us did damage the boat and needed to share the cost.

Sailing steve

Visit site
I believe they photograph if there is damage but I've always had the thumbs up. I've also always taken out deposit insurance to save any arguments with friends I go sailing with if one of us did damage the boat and needed to share the cost.

That's what what we do too.

Overall big picture is deposit insurance adds a couple of hundred quid to the deal but it's worth it for peace of mind. You've no idea if the yacht you have chartered has some cosmetic damage underwater but you can bet the charter company does, and they could quite feasibly be indulging in a lucrative scam by retaining deposits from different parties several times over through the season for the same damage.

And how are you going to challenge any accusation - ask the airport taxi to wait whilst you jump in to have a look yourself?

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Another one to support talking to your card company. We had a similar scenario with Sixt at Faro - turns out to be franchised to a local business. I took loads of pictures of the car, went around with the Sixt guy and pointed out marks and digs that he hadn't recorded. Thought that I had done well. Brought it back and they went to an almost invisible barely tangible slight depression on the boot - straight to it without pause - they knew what they were doing. When I got back home they told me that they were going to slap 400 euros on my card.
Called Barclaycard - the guy was really cross for me, he cancelled the card immediately and assured me that there would be no comeback on the matter. He was going to make a formal complaint through their systems as Barclaycard feels that it reflects badly on them if one of their dealers/companies does this sort of thing.

A bit long winded, but definitely talk to your card company.

Good luck!

Matt

Hermit

Visit site
I used to take a cheap underwater camera and take some underwater video/photos at the start as evidence myself. Easy in the clear water of the med.

Annabubble

Visit site
Why would you do that? Innocent or otherwise I would think the fact you did would be a pretty big red flag for the charter company.

Overall big picture is deposit insurance adds a couple of hundred quid to the deal but it's worth it for peace of mind. You've no idea if the yacht you have chartered has some cosmetic damage underwater but you can bet the charter company does, and they could quite feasibly be indulging in a lucrative scam by retaining deposits from different parties several times over through the season for the same damage.

And how are you going to challenge any accusation - ask the airport taxi to wait whilst you jump in to have a look yourself?

We absolutely believe this is what they are doing. Someone on here mentioned looking at the AIS tracker and having just checked the boat is currently back out in the Ionian Sea having left the day after we checked out. They may well have fixed the boat in that short time but my suspicion is that it hasn't been fixed and this will just happen again further down the line to someone else. We were naïve and have learnt an expensive lesson but we will definitely get deposit insurance out next time!

Annabubble

Visit site
Is there an easy way to find out if it went through change over and off with the next set of punters?
Looking at the AIS tracker it is back in the Ionian sea having left the harbour the day after we left (Sunday) so I am assuming it has gone to the next charter guests.

crown22

Visit site
No consolation to you but many years ago I chartered in Greece and paid my £500 deposit to an English owner.Took several nasty letters and a threat of County Court action to get my deposit back.I think unscrupulous Charter companies will try it on thinking that people will just give up on the money.I invented the term "Charter Sting".It was part of the reason I went down the road of buying a Yacht Share in the Med.But that's another story....