Pressure

Wansworth

Visit site
I can understand atmospheric pressure causing mighty winds but not obviously up to speed on this other pressure business,do I now refer to a northerly wind as northerly pressure which does not actually give a measurement ie force 5 for example,seems a bit odd pressure……all very posh I must say🙂

Neeves

Visit site
I only know the term from a, yacht, racing environment and I first recall hearing it about 30 years ago. I cannot believe I was at the forefront of its usage - so the use of the word in a sailing context must go back much further. When I first heard it I did not like to show my complete ignorance (as I was the skipper) so nodded sagely. Later I decided it was often used by people simply trying to show off, pretentious rather than posh, - and frankly wind seems as good a word as any. The fact there was 'more pressure' someplace else simply meant you had made a complete bollox of the strategy and had chosen the wrong side of the course (and it was too late to make amends).

The usual use of the word 'pressure' is - 'there looks to be more pressure over there'.

One never seems to have as much pressure as anyone else and 'more pressure' is always somewhere else.

Its a bit like the colour of grass - its always more grassy - someplace else, especially if you are based in Galicia (and its all very subjective).

Jonathan

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
The wind is only ‘over there” when you’ve made a mess of it, as you say. Though when you race a boat as slow as our X, in a place with tides as strong as Cowes, you can have all the ‘pressure you like, and if you’re in the wrong tide, it will make no difference. Having said that, we do look for breeze, and signs of it‘s wicked shenanigans, ie blowing on the opposition, but rarely call it pressure.

Wansworth

Visit site
I received this new wisdom of calling the wind pressure from the commentary on the inshore races during the RTWR…..the course was called a track as in car race track and constant referral to pressure who did they think they were informing hardened yacht racers or joe public……lot of pretentious rubbish