Pressure

Baddox

Visit site
Surely the aerofoil or Bernoulli effect of a sail relies on the airflow speeding up over the sail and reducing the pressure on the outside curve. With this in mind it is a pressure drop that moves the boats; are they looking to vacuum around the course.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Surely the aerofoil or Bernoulli effect of a sail relies on the airflow speeding up over the sail and reducing the pressure on the outside curve. With this in mind it is a pressure drop that moves the boats; are they looking to vacuum around the course.
It certainly is if you have a tri. Most monos don’t spend much time with laminar flow.

jlavery

Visit site
The classic use of "pressure" was in the 90s TV coverage of the Americas Cup.

In a program which being broadcast on mainstream TV, any opportunity to demystify yacht racing for the masses was lost, with the very kiwi expert commentator referring to "pressure" (but of course pronounced "prissure") and another wonderfully obscure racing term "gauge"!

On racing boats I still find "pressure" mildly pretentious. I call the wind from the bow as "breeze" or "wind". 😇

Martin_J

Visit site
Big areas of high pressure have very little wind.

Big areas of low pressure have a lot of wind around them.

With that... Low pressure means more wind.

But if you replace the word 'wind' with the word 'pressure', that sentence would become..

Low pressure means more pressure.

Although I've only heard it's use whilst racing, it does seem an odd term to me.

And in on further thoughts, the sentence "low pressure means high wind" would become "low pressure means high pressure"!

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Is that wind?
I am rather bemused by the OP. I don’t understand. Is there a context?

Pressure is a scalar quantity. In meteorology, it is a measure of the weight (force) exerted by the mass of air above the surface of the earth.

Wind is a vector quantity combining the speed (a scalar quantity) of the air moving with the direction of movement.

Wind is caused by differences in pressure.

The idea of using pressure when you mean wind seems stupid. Clearly, I am missing the point of the OP.

I have heard the word “gauge” used in the context of sailing warships having the “Weather gauge,” in other words, being up to wind of another vessel and, therefore, having the tactical advantage. I suppose the same sense could apply in match racing. Are our former colonies living in a different era?

Wansworth

Visit site
I am rather bemused by the OP. I don’t understand. Is there a context?

Pressure is a scalar quantity. In meteorology, it is a measure of the weight (force) exerted by the mass of air above the surface of the earth.

Wind is a vector quantity combining the speed (a scalar quantity) of the air moving with the direction of movement.

Wind is caused by differences in pressure.

The idea of using pressure when you mean wind seems stupid. Clearly, I am missing the point of the OP.

I have heard the word “gauge” used in the context of sailing warships having the “Weather gauge,” in other words, being up to wind of another vessel and, therefore, having the tactical advantage. I suppose the same sense could apply in match racing. Are our former colonies living in a different era?
Well exactly,wind is caused by diffences in pressure and my question was addressed too the use of the word pressure in recent commentary on a race.They I assumed to use the word pressure instead of wind hence my inquirey,I thought I had missed something living as I do in darkest Galicia🙂

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Well exactly,wind is caused by diffences in pressure and my question was addressed too the use of the word pressure in recent commentary on a race.They I assumed to use the word pressure instead of wind hence my inquirey,I thought I had missed something living as I do in darkest Galicia🙂
The use of the wor pressure to mean wind still sounds stupid. Are trying to introduce mystique? Are the trying to be clever an, apparently, failing. I have never heard such a nonsensical use of the word pressure. Was it a commentary in English or were you listening to a Spanish commentary? Did you or they miss something in translation?

Wansworth

Visit site
The use of the wor pressure to mean wind still sounds stupid. Are trying to introduce mystique? Are the trying to be clever an, apparently, failing. I have never heard such a nonsensical use of the word pressure. Was it a commentary in English or were you listening to a Spanish commentary? Did you or they miss something in translation?
I wholehearted agree🙂

Wansworth

Visit site
No it was a commentary of the last inshore RTWR by two experts,who bandied about ”pressure”. and race track” as if it was Formula One……..maybe it’s to make it more exciting 😳…..one commentator was Sam Davis who has many years sailing to her credit,such is the modern wold

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Pressure is commonly used in racing to indicate wind. One could argue that if you get in it the pressure on the sail will increase. It's just a simple common colloquialism used in racing. So what? If you don't race don't use it. If your crew prefer another term fine use whatever you agree to. The most important thing in communication is the meaning not the word.
Track is a common term. Your track is what is called course over the ground in sailing terms. In aviation we use track, it's shorter and everyone knows what it means. We might achieve it by steering to a set heading or by setting a course based on a navigation aid but when being guided by the flight management system we are guided to achieve a desired track.
They are just words, the important thing to understand is that both the course and track guidance will correct for drift (leeway) whereas steering to a heading will not.

The words don't matter so long as everyone defines them the same way in the environment you are working in. Don't get me started with True wind vs ground wind!!! :)

Wansworth

Visit site
Pressure is commonly used in racing to indicate wind. One could argue that if you get in it the pressure on the sail will increase. It's just a simple common colloquialism used in racing. So what? If you don't race don't use it. If your crew prefer another term fine use whatever you agree to. The most important thing in communication is the meaning not the word.
Track is a common term. Your track is what is called course over the ground in sailing terms. In aviation we use track, it's shorter and everyone knows what it means. We might achieve it by steering to a set heading or by setting a course based on a navigation aid but when being guided by the flight management system we are guided to achieve a desired track.
They are just words, the important thing to understand is that both the course and track guidance will correct for drift (leeway) whereas steering to a heading will not.

The words don't matter so long as everyone defines them the same way in the environment you are working in. Don't get me started with True wind vs ground wind!!! :)
Yes I can see that but the commentary was to all kinds of listeners not all yacht racers…….like me

Cariadco

Visit site
Right then, I'm going to have another go at this one....
Pressure means Force.
The difference between 2 or more of these forces causes wind to Flow.
The Wind flowing over the sails causes us to Sail!!
All them calling pressure, are wrong.
It's Wind.

Simples...isn't it??

Wansworth

Visit site
Right then, I'm going to have another go at this one....
Pressure means Force.
The difference between 2 or more of these forces causes wind to Flow.
The Wind flowing over the sails causes us to Sail!!
All them calling pressure, are wrong.
It's Wind.

Simples...isn't it??
Thankyou,thought I was going mad