Premier Marinas: Now I know why I pay

Martin_Billings

Visit site
20:30, 1 May: kneeling on pontoon at Chichester working on boat. I hear a splash and know it's my car keys, (although this doesn't stop me from searching pockets etc).

Marking the spot for future reference I consider options, taking into account that boat and car are locked, phone is in car and water depth is approx 2.5 metres:

Briefly consider and dismiss the idea of a swim.

Seriously think about walking to phone box, making reverse charge call (money in car) to Mrs B and inviting her to make 200 mile round trip with 3 children to bring spare keys.

Then walk round to lock. Yes there is a large magnet on a cord which I can borrow.

Return to pontoon where darkness has fallen and begin fishing. Catch keys. Drive back to lock and return magnet. Job done by 21:00.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
I keep one of these magnets on my boat, mainly because the bilge is a lot deeper than I can reach. Course, I don't keep it next to the compass!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Damned electronics

One problem with dunking the car keys is that so many of them now contain gizmos to open doors, disarm immobilisers, etc. While they're proof against a little dampness, they're not designed to be parked several metres deep in salt water. So you must have been relieved to find you could actually drive away.

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
Umm, I've done that, but you only ever do it once! Since then I got one of those cork ball things. Tested it in the bath. I didn't work. So now I either keep the keys in an inside pocket or have them on a short lanyard attached to my belt loop.

Its the feeling of total dispair as the things go "plop" and slowly fade from sight in the depths.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Gunfleet

Visit site
As far as practicable. I find it's okay at a metre and a bit (in a cockpit locker) but if I had any doubts I'd put it in the bow locker.

<hr width=100% size=1>

townquay

Visit site
I've got one of those purpose build maagnets on a length of line. It is so strong that it is a real effort to remove the gate between the two poles. (The gate reduces its magnetism when the things not being used).
The instructions say that the gizmo must be kept 3 metres from any compass.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Martin_Billings

Visit site
Re: Damned electronics

I had expected the electronics to decline my entreaties to do their usual stuff, but was ok and now 100% dried out....which reminds me of a top domestic tip picked up at Christmas when one of the kids dropped a video in the washing up bowl (don't ask): that is that you can only get so far drying out a video tape with a hair dryer before the spools start to go curly.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I lost the feeder arm from my spinnaker winch over the side a couple of weeks ago. At low water I had a good poke around with the boathook and was about to give up when I saw a glint from under the pontoon. Couldn't believe my luck when I fished it out! I think the whole marina must have heard my gleeful 'Geronimo'!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gordonmc

Visit site
We use an old loudspeaker bass driver on a bit of string. It keeps the kid amused for hours hunting for treasure on the bottom.

We failed to tell her it won't work on gold... silver... stainless... brass... etc etc

<hr width=100% size=1>

brianhumber

Visit site
Hmm,
Not sure the extra 4K a year that a marina costs balances out against the remote chance of loosing keys/other equipment overboard whilst alongside your berth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Re: Damned electronics

Yes Ken,
Some friends just dropped their keys to the Audi while going to unlock the car, which they were able to do but the imobilser bit had broken and it was then the rail trip back home, second set of keys and back to the car and then drive home.

London to Bury St. Edmonds by train etc.etc. was still only half the cost of call out and replacement imbobiliser.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Now if only I'd done that with my phone as it fell out of my top pocket into the bottom of the bilge. Sadly, the 10mm of water (less than a cup full) at the bottom was sufficient to bring an immediate end to the phone. Free insurance with the phone is great /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site
Barry,

I once bought a great key ring that had a "float" attached. If, like me your car/house keys weigh too much, the cork ball type hasn't a hope in hell of floating. However, this "float" actually sank with the keys, but after a few seconds the water reacted with the plastic and it parted, the hollow top half of which floated to the surface. Attached to this was 15 metres of thin line, with the other end still attached to the key ring. It was then simply a matter of pulling up the line, the keys coming with it. The problem was, it was rather bulky, and rather flimsy - after a few weeks, it fell apart. A brilliant idea, rather let down by poor quality.

<hr width=100% size=1>