Possible dream/idea feasibility

Sea Change

Visit site
I don't like to underestimate how difficult things can be I guess, people tend to make complicated things look simple and then you find out its a real pain.
You point the boat in the direction you want to go, let the sails out until they flap, and then pull them slightly in again until they stop flapping. That's how you sail.
All the really hard stuff, like weather, tides, buoyage, COLREGs, is exactly the same on motor or sailing boats.

I like the idea of a catamaran due to the wider living space and they seem a bit more organised to make it simpler as well as being more stable. from the ones I have seen on youtube, you have a clutch with all the main lines and electric winches to make life a bit easier. do correct me if im wrong, or misguided though.

Cheers,
Craig
You can have lines led aft and electric winches on monohulls too.

But cats are nice. If I had your budget I'd seriously consider one.

Tranona

Visit site
First thing to do is to find out whether BOTH of you like boating. Perhaps take a course on sailing - you can do this in a nice warm place like Gibraltar, Canaries etc as in the UK it can be a bit more off putting then charter a boat a few times to get the feel for living on board in hot climates. You will find that if you like it your ideas will form into a real plan about what sort of boat and style of cruising is likely to suit you. Obviously look at how other people have done it successfully - plenty of youtube, books, magazine articles, blogs etc but perhaps more importantly learn from those who were not successful.

Clearly much less available on this aspect as people tend not to share "failure", but for those that have been around this scene there are some common themes. First is that some couples quickly find that only one of them actually enjoys it. Second is the boat is "wrong" - perhaps too big/small, too much maintenance, poorly prepared. Third financial, manifest in a number of ways. Underestimating the amount/cost of work to keep it going. Getting stuck in expensive places. Major failure. Maybe sinking too much into it with not enough fallback - particularly relevant as you get older and at some point will have to return to (UK) land based living. Unwise to spend all your house money on a boat. You really do not have to do this, and the more you spend the greater usually the loss in value. Keeping a permanent residence and property in the UK is wise.

I think it is important that a retirement project like this is very different from doing it when you are young. Young(er) people have a chance to build again when they have the cruising out of their system. Older people don't and better to do it earlier rather than later to avoid being forced to give up because of health or financial issues. Obviously each individual is different and some jump straight in but at 50 you have the time to plan as well as have some fun on the way. We bought our retirement boat at 55 with a 10 year plan, but the boat cost less than 10% of our assets so could afford to bail out if it all went wrong. As it happened my health issues curtailed the plan after 10 years, but realistically those 10 years showed us that long term full time liveaboard was not for us but we did establish a good part time pattern. then moved on.

Visit site
First thing to do is to find out whether BOTH of you like boating. Perhaps take a course on sailing - you can do this in a nice warm place like Gibraltar, Canaries etc as in the UK it can be a bit more off putting then charter a boat a few times to get the feel for living on board in hot climates. You will find that if you like it your ideas will form into a real plan about what sort of boat and style of cruising is likely to suit you. Obviously look at how other people have done it successfully - plenty of youtube, books, magazine articles, blogs etc but perhaps more importantly learn from those who were not successful.

Clearly much less available on this aspect as people tend not to share "failure", but for those that have been around this scene there are some common themes. First is that some couples quickly find that only one of them actually enjoys it. Second is the boat is "wrong" - perhaps too big/small, too much maintenance, poorly prepared. Third financial, manifest in a number of ways. Underestimating the amount/cost of work to keep it going. Getting stuck in expensive places. Major failure. Maybe sinking too much into it with not enough fallback - particularly relevant as you get older and at some point will have to return to (UK) land based living. Unwise to spend all your house money on a boat. You really do not have to do this, and the more you spend the greater usually the loss in value. Keeping a permanent residence and property in the UK is wise.

I think it is important that a retirement project like this is very different from doing it when you are young. Young(er) people have a chance to build again when they have the cruising out of their system. Older people don't and better to do it earlier rather than later to avoid being forced to give up because of health or financial issues. Obviously each individual is different and some jump straight in but at 50 you have the time to plan as well as have some fun on the way. We bought our retirement boat at 55 with a 10 year plan, but the boat cost less than 10% of our assets so could afford to bail out if it all went wrong. As it happened my health issues curtailed the plan after 10 years, but realistically those 10 years showed us that long term full time liveaboard was not for us but we did establish a good part time pattern. then moved on.
You raise some very interesting points. I think we will definitely be taking time out to go on some sailing courses before buying a boat. and im certainly not jumping into this without a solid plan and some experience behind me.

It seems in the course of this thread, I have given up the idea of a motor cruiser and am looking towards a catamaran. but things no doubt will change. Im fairly close to the Bristol channel so I may go and ask a lot of questions there.

Sea Change

Visit site
The Bristol channel has the second biggest tidal range in the world. If you learn to sail there, the rest of the world will seem easy!

Visit site
You point the boat in the direction you want to go, let the sails out until they flap, and then pull them slightly in again until they stop flapping. That's how you sail.
All the really hard stuff, like weather, tides, buoyage, COLREGs, is exactly the same on motor or sailing boats.

You can have lines led aft and electric winches on monohulls too.

But cats are nice. If I had your budget I'd seriously consider one.
good to know the monohulls have the same options. little bit more weebly wobbly though

Cheers
Craig

Bouba

Visit site
Go to this forum and ask your same question
Trawler Forum
It’s a forum for people who have actually done what you want to do...anything is possible and good luck👍

doug748

Visit site
You raise some very interesting points. I think we will definitely be taking time out to go on some sailing courses before buying a boat. and im certainly not jumping into this without a solid plan and some experience behind me.

It seems in the course of this thread, I have given up the idea of a motor cruiser and am looking towards a catamaran. but things no doubt will change. Im fairly close to the Bristol channel so I may go and ask a lot of questions there.

Before a course I would go for something placid, maybe a canal holiday in France, somewhere warm, the Midi. Look carefully at your other half, is she really enthusiastic or trying to please you?

The alternatives are not: rotting in a retirement home vs selling the farm and sailing the world. Lots of people mange to enjoy a great deal of sailing by other means. It must be faced that a lot more men are attracted to boatlife than woman and there are varying degrees, it's got to work for the pair of you.

KevinV

Visit site
As well as (very sensibly) staying on the property ladder, consider whether being in IT means you can work remotely - there is a marine version of starlink already. This means you might not have to wait ten years, it gives you something to do (there's only so much staring into the sunset that's fun), keeps your skills up to date, and the income will change your budget considerably (and the length of time you can stay cruising) - even just £500 a month from work and £500 rent has your budget at a far more comfortable £2500 a month.

Visit site
As well as (very sensibly) staying on the property ladder, consider whether being in IT means you can work remotely - there is a marine version of starlink already. This means you might not have to wait ten years, it gives you something to do (there's only so much staring into the sunset that's fun), keeps your skills up to date, and the income will change your budget considerably (and the length of time you can stay cruising) - even just £500 a month from work and £500 rent has your budget at a far more comfortable £2500 a month.
Ah the ten years is really about paying off the house, which then allows me to buy a small flat and boat outright. For my job I already work remotely so I can either continue or do consultancy I guess.

Starlink is interesting and something I definitely would require, the maritime version is commercial from my understanding and it seems many people use the RV/motorhome version which works just as well but without the pricetag....I could be wrong though.

Visit site
Before a course I would go for something placid, maybe a canal holiday in France, somewhere warm, the Midi. Look carefully at your other half, is she really enthusiastic or trying to please you?

The alternatives are not: rotting in a retirement home vs selling the farm and sailing the world. Lots of people mange to enjoy a great deal of sailing by other means. It must be faced that a lot more men are attracted to boatlife than woman and there are varying degrees, it's got to work for the pair of you.

Absolutely, it all might work out that we just buy a small boat for short trips or just retire to SE Asia.

Lots of figuring out to do, I'm just starting at the fun end 😀

Sea Change

Visit site
Starlink is interesting and something I definitely would require, the maritime version is commercial from my understanding and it seems many people use the RV/motorhome version which works just as well but without the pricetag....I could be wrong though.
The RV version works just fine but it's geographically locked to a continent. I know people who have been on a North American contact in the Caribbean, who then don't get coverage in Columbia.
You can switch, but only once every few months. And they'll need to switch back to N America when they reach Panama. So a bit of a pain.

In ten years time satellite communication will look very different. Starlink have just launched the first bunch of 'direct to cell' satellites, which will carry text and possibly low rate data, but they haven't announced coverage or costs yet. Should be operational by the end of the year.
Amazon will shortly start launching their 'Kuiper' satellites.
OneWeb are just about ready, but they seem to be aiming to sell services to existing telecoms companies target than directly to users.
And China has announced plans for two satellite broadband systems of its own.

Visit site
The RV version works just fine but it's geographically locked to a continent. I know people who have been on a North American contact in the Caribbean, who then don't get coverage in Columbia.
You can switch, but only once every few months. And they'll need to switch back to N America when they reach Panama. So a bit of a pain.

In ten years time satellite communication will look very different. Starlink have just launched the first bunch of 'direct to cell' satellites, which will carry text and possibly low rate data, but they haven't announced coverage or costs yet. Should be operational by the end of the year.
Amazon will shortly start launching their 'Kuiper' satellites.
OneWeb are just about ready, but they seem to be aiming to sell services to existing telecoms companies target than directly to users.
And China has announced plans for two satellite broadband systems of its own.
By the time I'm ready I'll just get a hover boat. 😀

I'd imagine also that better solar will be out then as well as more affordable global connectivity.

prestomg27

Visit site
Tranona was spot on. It is quite possible, or even probable, that either you or your wife would hate being on a boat or get strongly seasick.

Go on a motorboat for a coastal trip. Go on a sailing boat. See if you both like it.

There is a well known sailing youtube channel, with charming people and beautifully shot, who were going to sail round the world. They put out a couple of videos about how seasick they get and suddenly the channel is about anchorages on the uk south coast within spitting distance of their home base.

One other thing. A 40 ish foot motor boat would do around 1 mpg at cruising speed. Just getting across the channel is srveral hundred quid.

Visit site
Tranona was spot on. It is quite possible, or even probable, that either you or your wife would hate being on a boat or get strongly seasick.

Go on a motorboat for a coastal trip. Go on a sailing boat. See if you both like it.

There is a well known sailing youtube channel, with charming people and beautifully shot, who were going to sail round the world. They put out a couple of videos about how seasick they get and suddenly the channel is about anchorages on the uk south coast within spitting distance of their home base.

One other thing. A 40 ish foot motor boat would do around 1 mpg at cruising speed. Just getting across the channel is srveral hundred quid.
Oh absolutely, at this point I'm just looking at the fun side and requirements for such an undertaking out in the future. We will definitely be spending time on boats well before throwing money at something physical.

I'm also resigned to the fact that I need a sail boat at this point 😀

Stingo

Visit site
@spindly_killer_fish ref a catamaran, don't get distracted by speed i.e. those fast, narrow hulled ones with daggerboards just don't have the needed carrying capacity that a typical cruising sailor needs, what with long term provisions, spares, toys (diving gear etc). Saying that, the typical Lagoon or Fontaine Pajot do need to be handled with care. Just don't push them unless absolutely necessary.

Sea Change

Visit site
Cadoha? Agree, their videos are surprisingly good considering they hardly actually go anywhere.
We tried to buy their boat but they pipped us to the post.

I'm amazed at the number of people who suffer chronic seasickness yet persevere with the lifestyle. We're very lucky that the three of us are nearly immune. Our 7yr old will occasionally feel a bit green, but he insists on staying below playing with Lego on the cabin floor 🙄. We now pre-emptively medicate which has a 100% success rate.

Sea Change

Visit site
@spindly_killer_fish ref a catamaran, don't get distracted by speed i.e. those fast, narrow hulled ones with daggerboards just don't have the needed carrying capacity that a typical cruising sailor needs, what with long term provisions, spares, toys (diving gear etc). Saying that, the typical Lagoon or Fontaine Pajot do need to be handled with care. Just don't push them unless absolutely necessary.
There was an Outremer flipped by a gust in Croatia a couple of years ago, scary stuff. I understand that in more cruising-oriented cats the rig will likely fail before that happens. Still, it's something you just don't need to worry about on a mono.