Port Corinth

Irish Rover

Visit site
When we did it last April we left Galaxidhi first light and arrived at the canal mid morning. We only waited around 15 minutes to enter. There had been a rock fall a few weeks previously and the canal was closed on and off so I called the night before and was told to come and call on VHF 11 about 2 miles out and no delays were expected. If you have time lapse video on your phone set it running as you enter.

grumpygit

Visit site
This thread surprises me Vic, I thought you'd washed your hands of Greece and never to darken it's seas again?

The train to the airport leaves about on the hour from Kiato. 14 minutes past the hour at Corinth. You'll need to change at Kato Acharnai but this is just 10 strides across the platform and one train does not leave without the other coming in. Simples

One A.

Visit site
This thread surprises me Vic, I thought you'd washed your hands of Greece and never to darken it's seas again?

The train to the airport leaves about on the hour from Kiato. 14 minutes past the hour at Corinth. You'll need to change at Kato Acharnai but this is just 10 strides across the platform and one train does not leave without the other coming in. Simples

Should that preclude him from offering advice on something he has experienced of?

sailaboutvic

Visit site

The thread was started last year . If you care to look .
I reply to Alex question to help as I would to anyone else I can help , has I have done and will continue to do so , just because We may disagree on some stuff Or don't share the same view on certain subject , it's Not going to stop me from helping if I can ,
while I continue sailing the seas .
Now
Has for me washing my hands off Greece , it's not Greece I washed my hands of , it's the stupid tax they brought in .
I not going to go into it , I not interested in the excuse some what to make why the tax was brought in ,
only to say if your happy to pay it , that's fine , I have no problem , good on you ,
At the same time I would like to think other respect my decisions not to .
If it wasn't the fact that's is totally unfair for people like my self to have to pay three times the cost for being . 01 bigger then a 12 mts boat then my attitude would be very different ?
The day will come when I have to pass through Greece again , has I not plainning to stop going to Turkey but when I do it mean a non stop through Greek waters .
To us it's no big deal .
If as I said many times before the tax is reduced and made fairer , I will then decide what cause to take .
In the mean time do enjoy your Greek cruiser , as I have not missed it for one second so far this year , and although Chris god bless him as help many here sort out paying there still many who are still having problems and personally know people who still have money in limbo ,
I personally could do without the stress .
I can only talk for my self but I am €1313 better off not being in Greece this year , that will just about cover the cost of buying my copper coat .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If I may add to my posting #21 without Surprise in anyone else .
If by any chance you find you need to get through on a maintenance day , maybe weather or you just forgotten , it's well worth ringing them on the day ,
Has if there a ship booked in to pass they will let you follow on , plus they are know to only close for part of the day if there little work to be done .

grumpygit

Visit site
The thread was started last year . If you care to look .
I reply to Alex question to help as I would to anyone else I can help , has I have done and will continue to do so , just because We may disagree on some stuff Or don't share the same view on certain subject , it's Not going to stop me from helping if I can ,
while I continue sailing the seas .
Now
Has for me washing my hands off Greece , it's not Greece I washed my hands of , it's the stupid tax they brought in .
I not going to go into it , I not interested in the excuse some what to make why the tax was brought in ,
only to say if your happy to pay it , that's fine , I have no problem , good on you ,
At the same time I would like to think other respect my decisions not to .
If it wasn't the fact that's is totally unfair for people like my self to have to pay three times the cost for being . 01 bigger then a 12 mts boat then my attitude would be very different ?
The day will come when I have to pass through Greece again , has I not plainning to stop going to Turkey but when I do it mean a non stop through Greek waters .
To us it's no big deal .
If as I said many times before the tax is reduced and made fairer , I will then decide what cause to take .
In the mean time do enjoy your Greek cruiser , as I have not missed it for one second so far this year , and although Chris god bless him as help many here sort out paying there still many who are still having problems and personally know people who still have money in limbo ,
I personally could do without the stress .
I can only talk for my self but I am €1313 better off not being in Greece this year , that will just about cover the cost of buying my copper coat .

We've heard all this time after time Vic so nothing new there. Apologies for not realising the dates on the first few posts. It's just as easy to start a new topic than chewing over out of date info. Sorry for trying to help though!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We've heard all this time after time Vic so nothing new
Bit like your posting on paying the tax then , we heard that time and time again how you couldn't fine a away to pay ,
thank god Chris Robb is about to hold our hands.

your remark was the straw that broke the camel back .
Let's just say I getting a bit fed up with childish and snide remake made by a few on my deciding to leave Greece .
You should be happy there one less boat to take up space .
Enjoy .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Bit like your posting on paying the tax then , we heard that time and time again how you couldn't fine a away to pay ,
thank god Chris Robb is about to hold our hands.

your remark was the straw that broke the camel back .
Let's just say I getting a bit fed up with childish and snide remake made by a few on my deciding to leave Greece .
You should be happy there one less boat to take up space .
Enjoy .

Ha Ha, vic...... I cannot hold both hands anymore as I stuck my hand in the anchor winch....... so back home recovering.... hope to be on the water again in mid September.... want some pics? best not to look!

Its a salutary lesson on keeping hands away --------- thread drift.......

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Ha Ha, vic...... I cannot hold both hands anymore as I stuck my hand in the anchor winch....... so back home recovering.... hope to be on the water again in mid September.... want some pics? best not to look!

Sorry to hear Chris hope it's not going to put you out of Acton for too long , it's easily done mate , just a second of lost concentration that's all it take , Christine is most of the time up that end , and now and then some thing happen like the chain get a knot or shit comes up and she as a happen of shouting out some in a different tone of voice , my first reaction is , oh FU@k only to find out it nothing .
Any way just to cheep you up a bit , we sailing in one hell of a thunderstorm and it's raining so hard that it hurts , best of luck get well soon , we need good cruisers out here .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

Sorry to hear that Chris. I hope that you've not lost any digits. :ambivalence:

I have to ask, but no photos please, how did it happen? Were you on the windlass controls at the time?

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Sorry to hear that Chris. I hope that you've not lost any digits. :ambivalence:

I have to ask, but no photos please, how did it happen? Were you on the windlass controls at the time?

Richard

Richard you may have to wait a day , poor Chris started the other posting a few days ago , not easy typing with a pencil in your mouth ....
Chris got a Sence of humor :)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Richard you may have to wait a day , poor Chris started the other posting a few days ago , not easy typing with a pencil in your mouth ....
Chris got a Sence of humor :)
Vic, Richard,
No pics as I dont know how to post them here! Remember what soutzoukakia in tomato source looked like...:disgust:

So June 6th 7.30 am - raise anchor and leave Kythnos -Bay on NW side to go to find shelter from imminent Meltemi. One Crew started the engine, so I thought I might as well do the anchor for a change - been a long time since I dirtied my hands on this menial task.

Anchor come up fine, and true to form the Manson comes up ok onto the roller, and is cocked slightly up, so I push down to bring in the last few of inches - but instead of holding the anchor I must have held the chain, which is quite close to the anchor winch. Next thing I noticed was my hand trapped under the chain in the gypsy with the chain now taught as the anchor was tight on the bow roller... funny .... better press "down"..... it runs like a video - which I think I can reverse...... (controls are deck buttons - left down, right Up) So a very bad crush with 3 and 4 all but severed. We wrap it up in a big bandage and set off for Kythnos Ferry Port - 20 minutes away.

We arrive and space is available on the Ferry berth alongside. Harbour master gets a taxi at once and despatches me plus one crew as support to local hospital.... Shit they say - you must go to Athens... But clean it first... Iodine...... ouch - up till now t has not hurt - but the Iodine.......

Catch 1 oclock ferry to Lavrio but have leisurely lunch of Squid after moving Carina to an alongside berth at the east end - he has made another boat leave to make space. Taverna owner says - no charge.

Crew tie up correctly - breasts loose, springs tight, and fendering which I had not seen since the french canals.

Harbour Master warns my crew to avoid Port Police and not to talk to them about anything. HM is brilliant and for €30 keeps watch for us for a week, and my crew go home and brother and son fly out to get the boat back to Petros Boat Club in the Evia Channel.

I go to Athens - Ferry Captain arranges for ambulance to be waiting. Steward on ferry keeps bringing me Frapee's and bits to eat.... Arrive and in Athens Trauma (KAT) by 4.30 pm. Operated on at once under local as no time for general - fine I didn't feel a thing - but other than the Iodine, I never felt any pain or discomfort ever..... 4 hours later - surrounded by students getting their education the 3 surgeons pronounce this is the best job they have ever done.

Then 2 more people come in with crushed fingers from 2 charter boats - one is the skipper of 30 years experience. So how many accidents a year are there with Anchor winches?

1 week later back to Blightey and into QA Portsmouth....

All doing well - all taken well despite early worries with one not showing blood when pricked. Tomorrow, I start having physio on the fingers, a bit scarred as they dont move at all at the moment.

Plan to go back in Mid september + 1 electric winch handle.... hopefully!

All in all everything was superb in hospital - other families in the room just took over when they realised I was by myself - soooo kind.

A surgeon friend here who served in Afghanistan and Iraq said I probably could not have gone to a better hospital in Europe - they fix all the war wounds from Syria.

All covered by EHIC.... ( this year only)......

Winch is a Horizontal axis winch - much more dangerous i thing than vertical axis.

Next job - Design guard to prevent happening again. Hopefully working with Lewmar on this - My son James, is drawing up some ideas on CAD - It looks fairly obvious how to do it.

Now to fill in my ballot paper....... not telling you....:encouragement:

Damn - my pencil's worn out

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic, Richard,
No pics as I dont know how to post them here! Remember what soutzoukakia in tomato source looked like...:disgust:

So June 6th 7.30 am - raise anchor and leave Kythnos -Bay on NW side to go to find shelter from imminent Meltemi. One Crew started the engine, so I thought I might as well do the anchor for a change - been a long time since I dirtied my hands on this menial task.

Anchor come up fine, and true to form the Manson comes up ok onto the roller, and is cocked slightly up, so I push down to bring in the last few of inches - but instead of holding the anchor I must have held the chain, which is quite close to the anchor winch. Next thing I noticed was my hand trapped under the chain in the gypsy with the chain now taught as the anchor was tight on the bow roller... funny .... better press "down"..... it runs like a video - which I think I can reverse...... (controls are deck buttons - left down, right Up) So a very bad crush with 3 and 4 all but severed. We wrap it up in a big bandage and set off for Kythnos Ferry Port - 20 minutes away.

We arrive and space is available on the Ferry berth alongside. Harbour master gets a taxi at once and despatches me plus one crew as support to local hospital.... Shit they say - you must go to Athens... But clean it first... Iodine...... ouch - up till now t has not hurt - but the Iodine.......

Catch 1 oclock ferry to Lavrio but have leisurely lunch of Squid after moving Carina to an alongside berth at the east end - he has made another boat leave to make space. Taverna owner says - no charge.

Crew tie up correctly - breasts loose, springs tight, and fendering which I had not seen since the french canals.

Harbour Master warns my crew to avoid Port Police and not to talk to them about anything. HM is brilliant and for €30 keeps watch for us for a week, and my crew go home and brother and son fly out to get the boat back to Petros Boat Club in the Evia Channel.

I go to Athens - Ferry Captain arranges for ambulance to be waiting. Steward on ferry keeps bringing me Frapee's and bits to eat.... Arrive and in Athens Trauma (KAT) by 4.30 pm. Operated on at once under local as no time for general - fine I didn't feel a thing - but other than the Iodine, I never felt any pain or discomfort ever..... 4 hours later - surrounded by students getting their education the 3 surgeons pronounce this is the best job they have ever done.

Then 2 more people come in with crushed fingers from 2 charter boats - one is the skipper of 30 years experience. So how many accidents a year are there with Anchor winches?

1 week later back to Blightey and into QA Portsmouth....

All doing well - all taken well despite early worries with one not showing blood when pricked. Tomorrow, I start having physio on the fingers, a bit scarred as they dont move at all at the moment.

Plan to go back in Mid september + 1 electric winch handle.... hopefully!

All in all everything was superb in hospital - other families in the room just took over when they realised I was by myself - soooo kind.

A surgeon friend here who served in Afghanistan and Iraq said I probably could not have gone to a better hospital in Europe - they fix all the war wounds from Syria.

All covered by EHIC.... ( this year only)......

Winch is a Horizontal axis winch - much more dangerous i thing than vertical axis.

Next job - Design guard to prevent happening again. Hopefully working with Lewmar on this - My son James, is drawing up some ideas on CAD - It looks fairly obvious how to do it.

Now to fill in my ballot paper....... not telling you....:encouragement:

Damn - my pencil's worn out

Bloody hell chris your lucky you didn't lost any , I bet once the shock worn off the pain was allful .
I was think of your problem while I was trying to untangle this mess this evenin , trying keeping my hand well away from the windlass and chain , we picked up an old spider anchor two and a half meters long , only one prong left , our shank got caught in a T bit on its side , all the time I trying to release it images of your hand kept running through my head .
I bet you photo be a lot better then mine .

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 0

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

That sounds really bad Chris. I'm so glad that you were well looked after by our Greek friends.

I had imagined that another crew member was operating the windlass and that there must have been a temporary communication breakdown between the two of you. Luckily my anchor and the windlass are in separate lockers and are a couple of feet apart so it would be difficult to make a similar mistake, thankfully, because if something can go wrong then eventually it will.

I hope everything mends properly in due course.

Richard