Poole marinas / shelter

Visit site
Let's just say you do not need to ask twice for a large spare extra fender from the marina office at Poole Town Quay when a blow is expected.

Oooo err, I just looked at the forecast. In your position I would head for Weymouth, Bucklers Hard or Cowes. Yarmouth and Lymington will be safe but miserable in those sort of winds.

Pinnacle

Visit site
I fear you may not get much of a choice - windy weekend in prime holiday time. If you haven't tried to book yet, in your shoes I would be getting on the phone asap. Hope you have success!

Visit site
That will be OK. The Poole marinas are all well sheltered from the SW by the high bund walls on the western boundaries.
Hmmm. There is "well sheltered" as in your boat won't get damaged and there is another definition for "well sheltered" which equates to "it is pleasant to live aboard for 36 hours while is it gusting 40kts in nearby open water".

Poole Town Quay does not offer much protection from SE through to W, which is why the view across the harbour is so good at high tide on a calm day.

Tranona

Visit site
Hmmm. There is "well sheltered" as in your boat won't get damaged and there is another definition for "well sheltered" which equates to "it is pleasant to live aboard for 36 hours while is it gusting 40kts in nearby open water".

Poole Town Quay does not offer much protection from SE through to W, which is why the view across the harbour is so good at high tide on a calm day.

Very happy to stay on board my boat in PYC marina in far stronger winds than that. As I said earlier the three major marinas in the harbour (PYC, Parkstone and Salterns are all well protected from the west. Unsurprising as that is where our major weather comes from. The Haven is more exposed, particularly from the South.

Visit site
As I said earlier the three major marinas in the harbour (PYC, Parkstone and Salterns are all well protected from the west. Unsurprising as that is where our major weather comes from. The Haven is more exposed, particularly from the South.
Actually you said
The Poole marinas are all well sheltered from the SW by the high bund walls

Anyhow we have arrived at a consensus, you now agree the marina that Poole Town Quay is not a good refuge in a blow, although it gets whacked worse from the SE and not the S.

Tranona

Visit site
Actually you said .

Anyhow we have arrived at a consensus, you now agree the marina that Poole Town Quay is not a good refuge in a blow, although it gets whacked worse from the SE and not the S.
Never said it was. I referred to the marinas. So not a question of "now agreeing".

Suggest you stand on the quay at the eastern end when a depression comes through to experience the full force of southerlies. Those are usually the strongest of winds (not helped by the longer fetch) - stronger than the subsequent more westerly ones as the depression moves east - and are the ones that cause the most damage in Poole. Based on 40 years keeping boats in Poole, including having one blown ashore in Parkstone Bay in the early period of the 1987 storm.

Visit site
Never said it was. I referred to the marinas. So not a question of "now agreeing".
Ah so you were right all along providing we change the common definition of a marina to exclude the marina type establishment built at the eastern end of Poole Town Quay which every resource I can find lists it as a marina.

Suggest you stand on the quay at the eastern end when a depression comes through to experience the full force of southerlies.
I have done so while my yacht was moored in the Boat Haven. The place is a touch more exposed to the SE than the South as a cursory 10 second glance at a chart will confirm.

the full force of southerlies. Those are usually the strongest of winds (not helped by the longer fetch) - stronger than the subsequent more westerly ones as the depression moves east
"Usually" is not significant in this discussion. The Isle of Wight is usually hit by strong SW winds but prior to the new breakwater at Cowes it was the unusual north easter that caused problems. Likewise in Yarmouth IOW which is good in prevailing winds but suffers from the occasional NE blow.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
As I said earlier the three major marinas in the harbour (PYC, Parkstone and Salterns

That is a little disingenuous - to us non-locals the "main" marina at Poole is the one at the town quay. I've been there plenty of times, but apart from a brief stop at Salterns once to collect fuel, I've never visited any of the others and could not have identified them on a chart. I had to use Google Maps just now to discover which one I fuelled up at.

When you said "The Poole marinas are all well sheltered" I did assume you were including all of them. Fortunately I'm not snugged up in the town quay marina on that recommendation :)

Pete

colhel

Visit site
What weather forecast are people looking at that's causing so much concern? This is a genuine question as all I can see around Poole is 20 mph winds gusting 30. Okay not nice at anchor but any Poole marina would be fine surely?

GrahamD

Visit site
28kts max on Windguru. Force 7 max on Meteo Consult, so BBC looks a bit like an outlier.

If you can't get into one of the marinas on the quay or in one of the club marinas at Poole or Parkstone YC you could try Cobbs Quay through the bridges, or contact Ridge Yachting Centre in the Wareham River, if time and draft permits.

Alternatively you could pick up a spare mooring in the Wych Channel, which is well sheltered in a SW blow, or anchor at Shipstal or between Green Island and Goathorn. Studland is also OK in the sort of wind strength and direction generally being forecast.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Wave break at PYH looking South West-ish, the short fetch produced a surprising amount of "stern slap" on my last visit

e0da6e48a73cb762ccb50e6918bcbb87.jpg

Seajet

Visit site
If draft allows - and it's not too late - how about grabbing a mooring on the Frome up to Wareham ? That's where I'd go but I have a lift keel.

Incidentally was at Lymington yesterday with a general idea of heading west solo for a few days but the forecast put the kybosh on that and everyone on the raft I was on agreed ' let's get outta here and back to Chichester ' !

Hope you have a quiet night wherever.

Robin

Visit site
Wave break at PYH looking South West-ish, the short fetch produced a surprising amount of "stern slap" on my last visit

e0da6e48a73cb762ccb50e6918bcbb87.jpg

If by PYH you meant Parkdtone YC Haven, thst pic loks like it was taken from my old berth where we were stern to that view and the prevailing winds. We had no problem at all there in over 10 years sleeping aboard in all weathers We did have a fullcockpit enclosure to keep the rains out however and our owners cabin was up front, no stern slap at all. Mind you getting in and tied up needed skill in strong winds as we could be going in at over 3kts even withh effectively a dead stop before making the right turn in. WE had a marked spring line system organised to stop us from reaching the main pontoon We had good 'brakes' with a Brunton Autoprop, but the prop kick to port astern was somewhat unhelpful berthing starboard side to as we did.

So to the OP I would say Parkstone YC, and Poole YC marinas would be fine and dandy as would he have an Poole Quay although the quay itself was always 'orrible in SE winds. a better option in SE nasties is to go through the bridges and up to Cobb's Quay MARina. We had long experienc of anchoring safely in Studlan in SW winds, even gale force plus. in our days with smaller boats we would prefer the east side of Brownsea in the Wych Channel or going up to Arne ( Shipstall point IIRC) if a subsequent West wind swing was expected, but beware of shallow depths getting there, even though there are ( or were back then at least) deeper pools once up there Good walks ashore i the bird sanctuary and superb Poole cockles in the mud banks. Salterns Marina would be OK but you would need a lottery win to pay for it and thereis little turning room to play with inside.

Last edited: