Poll - Best Windvane Self-steering system ?

Best Windvane Self-steering ?

• Aries

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Capehorn

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Fleming

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Hydrovane

Votes: 45 40.2%
  • Monitor

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Neptune

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Sailomat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sea feather

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Voyager

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windpilot

Votes: 15 13.4%

• Total voters

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>So (as far as I know), that would be the WindPilot Pacific Plus and the Auto-Helm (the one by Scanmar, not the little electronic thing) with the Monitor having an emergency rudder capability if you have the MRUD add-on.

From the Wind pilot site: Can be used as an emergency rudder? No.

From the Scanmar web site: The Scanmar rudder is a fixed emergency rudder not a windvane.

The Monitor site says: Your MONITOR now has a very rigid and strong spade rudder ready to steer your boat. Of course you need to balance your boat carefully and possibly reduce sails somewhat. <B>Compared to your boat’s rudder you may feel that the MRUD is too small to control your boat</B> However, we have purposely kept it this way (will not break, easy to store, easier to install, etc.). With a normal boat there are very small corrections with the rudder unless you carry too much sail or have ignored
balancing the sail plan. The large size of the boat’s main rudder is necessary for maneuverability which is needed when you dock the boat or are on a race course. With MRUD in the open ocean and a course to teer you can make slow corrections. At your destination you can anchor or get help for the last few miles if you feel that you cannot maneuver in tight corners. You can now steer by three different methods.

The MRUD is strengthening for the Sothern ocean with no inrease in rudder size and as above they admit the rudder isn't big enough to act as an emergency rudder.

So back to my question, is there a windvane other than Hydrovane that can act as an emergency rudder?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I voted for Aeries & I have had positive dealings with the current manufacturer although mine is a Franklin lift up one.
Its biggest disadvantage is its weight but my one can be quickly removed for racing & that os why I have it
However, I hav spoken to loads of Windpilot owners & they all speak well of those. If i had another I would look at weight first then go for either - monotor, windpilot, hydrovane or sailomat

TimBennet

Visit site
> So back to my question, is there a windvane other than Hydrovane that can act as an emergency rudder?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea which websites you've been looking at.

From the Wind Pilot Pacific Plus: to the question; can it be used as an Emergency Rudder?: YES.

http://windpilot.com/n/wind/en/prod/plus/

From the Scanmar site: "The auto-helm is a true emergency rudder which will effectively steer your boat back to port in case of main rudder failure. The semi-balanced auto-helm rudder is strong and efficient with a low drag, high lift profile".

http://www.selfsteer.com/products/autohelm/index.php

And as I said about the Monitor: "the Monitor having an emergency rudder capability if you have the MRUD add-on." (MRUD stands for emergency rudder).

And this is from their site: email received from Andrew Wilkes, February 2005: "In 2003-2004 we sailed from the UK, around South America and back - a logged distance of 20.000 miles. . . .We lost our [boat's] rudder in the South Atlantic halfway between Estrecho de Magalles and Buenos Aires.The MRUD was rigged and steered us the remaining 500 nm to Mar del Plata in Argentina. We could, literally, have been lost without it."

macd

Visit site
From the Wind pilot site: Can be used as an emergency rudder? No.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion, for it certainly says otherwise. Check out: http://windpilot.com/n/wind/en/prod/plus//

The Windpilot Atlantic can also be used as an emergency rudder, as can the Stayer/Sailomat 3040.

(Sorry for the duplication, TimBennet: I took a while to write this post due to distractions, and yours popped up in the meantime.)

Last edited:

fishermantwo

Visit site
Very few of us get to have experience with all the windvane systems. I would suggest searching out and downloading the free book "Self Steering under Sail" by Peter Christian Fortmann. This book describes all the major brands mentioned here plus many other units used world wide that are not. It also has comparison charts showing all the ratios, shaft sizes, bearings etc to compare the units.

Links to the book can be found on manufacturers sites or the windvane forum.

RobbieW

Visit site
Coming in a bit late to this discussion, prompted by the OP following an item I put on the For Sale forum.

I can add little to the preceding discussion on usage because I have experience mainly of a Monitor only. My current boat had an Aries, sadly this got trashed by a passing mobo before I got the chance to try it out. As I had free choice then, after all his insurance were paying, and like for like wasnt an option (it was an old Aries), I chose a Monitor. Mostly sentiment (I previously had one on a Vancouver 28) but also I felt the SS tubing would be more resilient to bumping than the alloy castings used in the Aries. Its on a Rival 41 so overall weight is less of an issue.

I've tried a Hydrovane (downwind on a Bowman 42) but it was one of a batch made with the rudder incorrectly drilled - this seems to have affected those manufactured 3-4 years ago. The incorrect drilling meant the Hydrovane rudder wouldnt self centre when unlocked and was not very effective in use. Hydrovane seem to have replaced without question those rudders known to have this defect.

Chris1961

Visit site
Thanks to all who have input on this thread. Those with experience of only one system are just as valuable to me as those with a broader view. Very informative and critical to my research.

Spuddy

Visit site
I've experience of the Aries (too heavy and lumpen for my current boat), Hasler and several thousand miles with a Hebridean. Hebridean was best for variety of reasons but it's not one of the big ten as yet.

jjorio

Visit site
Hello,
I ordered a South Atlantic windvane, with an auxiliary rudder, from the B list, and was very disapointed, as the unit I received was badly engineered and not in working order.
On top I received no help, and no guidance from the company.
I definitely don't recommend,
Cheers,
Jaad
on CINCO

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>I had a Hydrovane on my last boat. Excellent support when selecting, buying and fitting- fitting was easy singlehanded while afloat. 15 years of faultless service from it.

Our Hydrovane did 12,0000 nms with the previous owner and just over 10,000 nms with us. The only thing I had to change was the sail cover because of UV damage.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Would that be the same Hydrovane to which you referred in the same vein when responding to the same post on this same thread six years ago? Or have you bought another one since?

it was the same one we left the UK in 2004 and got back six and a half yeas later and sold the boat.