Polish yacht registration

voyager35

Visit site
I am currently starting to look for a new to me boat. There is more choice of the type of boat I am looking at in the EU, however I am very aware as a UK resident of the cost and complexity of bringing the boat back to the UK.
I know that I could register the boat under a Polish flag and have it owed by a Polish ltd company.
Has anyone any knowledge of how the UK authorities would react when I arrive back into the UK with the Yacht which I would do some times

Tranona

Visit site
Registration is unrelated to the process of importing a boat into the UK. If you are UK resident then you will have to pay VAT and get the boat certified to the latest standards. This effectively makes it unviable both practically and economically to buy a boat in the EU for use in the UK for UK residents.

If you are formally resident outside the UK you can bring a boat in under the temporary admission rules for up to 18 months at a time.

On registration there are various options, but if you are a UK citizen then British registration is probably still the best option.

voyager35

Visit site
Registration is unrelated to the process of importing a boat into the UK. If you are UK resident then you will have to pay VAT and get the boat certified to the latest standards. This effectively makes it unviable both practically and economically to buy a boat in the EU for use in the UK for UK residents.

If you are formally resident outside the UK you can bring a boat in under the temporary admission rules for up to 18 months at a time.

On registration there are various options, but if you are a UK citizen then British registration is probably still the best option.
Thank you for your answer. What I am thinking of is having the boat owned by a Polish ltd company. That should I hope mean that I could bring it into the UK for upto 18 months.
Have you ever heard of this been done?

Tranona

Visit site
Thank you for your answer. What I am thinking of is having the boat owned by a Polish ltd company. That should I hope mean that I could bring it into the UK for upto 18 months.
Have you ever heard of this been done?
If you are the owner of the Polish company and are resident in the UK you cannot take advantage of temporary admission which comes with the condition that only the owner can use it while it is in the UK. That would be my reasoning but you really need to check with HMRC.

Very much doubt such a "loophole" would exist as the aim of the legislation is to ensure that UK residents pay VAT on boats imported into the UK.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
🇵🇱 Polish Flag Registration €395

I would not set up a company due the the extra cost of setting up a company and the possible cost of maintaining and submitting any tax returns in Poland

Also if the boat is currently in the EU no matter where it is registered if you import it into the UK you would most likely to have to pay duty and VAT

If you are a returning resident you may be able to avoid the duty and VAT it th boat is part of personal affects and not in the name of a company