Poling out a genoa

geem

Visit site
I have twin poles that mount on the mast and a light whisker pole.

Although both poles can be used at once I store one on the stanchions so it's easy to deploy the single mast mounted pole.

I use fore and aft guys and can leave the pole set up depending on where the genoa is sheeted. I usually use a lazy sheet with trip line as it is easy to rig and release.
View attachment 183034
Rigging is a bit messy with guys secured to the toerail so I usually use this when I have an hour or more downwind. The whisker or pole with no guys is OK for shorter spells. No lazy sheet on the genoa in this picture as I broke the snapshackle the previous day (stick to Wichard or other top quality makes).

My biggest challenge is being able to rig enough sheets, made difficult because they need to pass through turning blocks to winches (odd cockpit layout). I am working on how to have two sets of jib sheets rigged plus a lazy sheet each side so I don't have to "unthread" a sheet to lead a lazy sheet. Or I will need triple turning blocks!

Learning to rig a pole so it stays rigged with or without the sail attached is really useful when singlehanded. You then only attach or detach the pole without the sail attached.
Have you tried wing on wing, genoa and main set with the staysail set but sheeted hard in? You are flying the genoa on the pole and the staysail set on the other side (same side as the main, but with no pole).Sail by the lee at about 150/165° works really well. The wind is funneled off the mainsail into the genoa and the staysail. The staysail set hard in also reduces the tendency for the boat to roll. It's a rig that doesn't expect great results but really does perform. It punches above its weight and is easy to manage single handed. We are using the set up more and more for it's ease and surprisingly good performance down wind, especially when we have more than about 17kts true wind speed when the spinnaker would be too much

Last edited:

flaming

Visit site
He taught me to be a sailing instructor. Top man.
I knew him when I worked at the boat show. We had some great chats about all things sailing, and whilst we disagreed about a lot of things on the subject of how to rig a pole when running downwind we were in full agreement.

To those saying "oh, I just clip the genoa to the pole directly" I would say that this violates the most sacred rule of bowman work. Which is "never do anything with a loaded rope". The people who dance around on the foredeck in all weathers for fun have that as a total rule, well the good ones do anyway. You should be able to set anything you want to do with foresails up whilst everything is slack, and then transfer the load onto it. If you're on the foredeck trying to manhandle the clew of the genoa close to the pole so you can clip it in.... One day it will manhandle you over the side of the boat.

capnsensible

Visit site
I knew him when I worked at the boat show. We had some great chats about all things sailing, and whilst we disagreed about a lot of things on the subject of how to rig a pole when running downwind we were in full agreement.

To those saying "oh, I just clip the genoa to the pole directly" I would say that this violates the most sacred rule of bowman work. Which is "never do anything with a loaded rope". The people who dance around on the foredeck in all weathers for fun have that as a total rule, well the good ones do anyway. You should be able to set anything you want to do with foresails up whilst everything is slack, and then transfer the load onto it. If you're on the foredeck trying to manhandle the clew of the genoa close to the pole so you can clip it in.... One day it will manhandle you over the side of the boat.
Spot on!!

blush2

Visit site
The genoa was always clipped to the pole while it was furled and rolled up again before unclipping the pole. The pole was supported by a topping lift and as the genoa was furled the downhaul was tightened to bring the pole forward.

Supertramp

Visit site
Have you tried wing on wing, genoa and main set with the staysail set but sheeted hard in? You are flying the genoa on the pole and the staysail set on the other side (same side as the main, but with no pole).Sail by the lee at about 150/165° works really well. The wind is funneled off the mainsail into the genoa and the staysail. The staysail set hard in also reduces the tendency for the boat to roll. It's a rig that doesn't expect great results but really does perform. It punches above its weight and is easy to manage single handed. We are using the set up more and more for it's ease and surprisingly good performance down wind, especially when we have more than about 17kts true wind speed when the spinnaker would be too much
I will try that.

I have used the mizzen sheeted in which reduces roll but its better to use the forward sails off the wind. I just acquired a smaller Solent jib which would be perfect to use for that. Do you really mean "by the lee" as at 150 I would be worrying about gybing?

johnalison

Visit site
That’s similar to my recommendation, though I have never had a staysail. Sailing by the lee isn’t inherently bad sailing, and can be beneficial, but obviously, care needs to be taken, or an effective boom brake employed.

geem

Visit site
That’s similar to my recommendation, though I have never had a staysail. Sailing by the lee isn’t inherently bad sailing, and can be beneficial, but obviously, care needs to be taken, or an effective boom brake employed.
A long fin keel with good directional stability, good autopilot makes it a none issue. The addition of the stsysail is everything. Without it, it's not the same experience. Give it a try if you can

geem

Visit site
I will try that.

I have used the mizzen sheeted in which reduces roll but its better to use the forward sails off the wind. I just acquired a smaller Solent jib which would be perfect to use for that. Do you really mean "by the lee" as at 150 I would be worrying about gybing?
150 to165. See what works for you