Planning first passage. Brightlingsea to Walton Backwater

johnalison

Visit site
"You don't need a chart plotter"
Agreed, I managed for 40 years, but when you are short handed, inexperienced and unsure of your position it is so comforting to press a button and see exactly where the dangers are.
Even a cheap option is worthwhile. I use MX Mariner on my phone and tablet, does most of what I need. Temporarily not available to new users but I'm sure there's lots of alternatives.
I don't want to go back to taking bearings, working out deviation and variation and plotting it on a soggy chart at night when I'm nervous!
We were always kitted out for traditional navigation and pilotage but I can scarcely remember ever having to take bearings on shore features. The only place, pre-Decca where we regularly had to do this was off Courseulles in Normandy where there is a large shallow to be avoided and a featureless shore with three church spires to be identified. It should be possible to sail round our area and across to Ramsgate with eyeball navigation, even if it means sailing near enough to buoys to read their names.

ianc1200

Visit site
The concrete barge in Nortada's first photo above is for sale on FB Marketplace for 16k. The advert comes with a warning EA permission will be required to remove from the sea wall.