Planning first passage. Brightlingsea to Walton Backwater

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
When I first bought my boat it was on a mooring over at west mersea. There was a boat next to me and the guy would come every so often on his own and spend the day sailing. I kinda took a liking to him, although we never spoke. I was a total beginner and had never even manoeuvred a boat before. I was always very careful not to crash into his boat. I could tell he knew what he was doing. He'd always come in with his jib, rush to the foredeck, and grab his mooring. Then this one time I was preparing to go out and he was heading back. He came right past me, we acknowledged eachother, he tried to do his usual thing, and missed. He ended up stuck on the mudbank. I pretended not to see.
There are two kinds of East Coast sailors. Those who have gone aground, and liars!

johnalison

Visit site
When I first bought my boat it was on a mooring over at west mersea. There was a boat next to me and the guy would come every so often on his own and spend the day sailing. I kinda took a liking to him, although we never spoke. I was a total beginner and had never even manoeuvred a boat before. I was always very careful not to crash into his boat. I could tell he knew what he was doing. He'd always come in with his jib, rush to the foredeck, and grab his mooring. Then this one time I was preparing to go out and he was heading back. He came right past me, we acknowledged eachother, he tried to do his usual thing, and missed. He ended up stuck on the mudbank. I pretended not to see.
Even having an engine is no guarantee of success. We spent a very happy half an hour or so at Felixstowe Ferry on our mooring watching a small boat trying to moor next door. There was little wind, but the two young men had obviously read that you turn your boat into the wind to stop it. This was fine, except for the fact that this meant that they were facing down-tide. They passed the mooring buoy at least four or five times at a ground speed of about four knots before they decided that this might not be the right solution.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
ah the crafty ploy of distracting the helm at the crucial moment :)

Khaos

Visit site
There was a bit of fouling around the water intake. I cleared it away and didn't think too much of it. But weirdly now the problem is much worse. The water is now dripping slowly rather than coming out with a bit less force than usual. I don't get it. How can clearing a bit of debris away from the intake have made the problem worse..

Looks like I'm going to have to get a socket set and dismantle it in order the check the impeller.

Khaos

Visit site
It's not so bad. Tomorrow is going to be calm so I'll be able to disassemble it easily from my dinghy. Learning about how my motor works is good anyway and it's good that this is happening somewhere with easy access to chandeliers and Amazon lockers.

I'm confused about what's happened though. All I can think is that by removing the partial blockage I've restored the impeller to full speed, and then that's either compressed detritus in the system into a blockage or finished off the impeller. I have my socket set so will hopefully find out tomorrow.

DanTribe

Visit site
It's not so bad. Tomorrow is going to be calm so I'll be able to disassemble it easily from my dinghy. Learning about how my motor works is good anyway and it's good that this is happening somewhere with easy access to chandeliers and Amazon lockers.

I'm confused about what's happened though. All I can think is that by removing the partial blockage I've restored the impeller to full speed, and then that's either compressed detritus in the system into a blockage or finished off the impeller. I have my socket set so will hopefully find out tomorrow.
I assume you have an outboard motor. If at all possible, dismount it and work in the cockpit. (Block 5he cockpit drai with kitchen towel). Working from a dinghy is inviting dropping essential bits in the water.
There is a lot of fine green weed this year, it took several attempts to clear my water inlet.
Regarding your fuel problem I would suspect rust, water or muck in the tank being stirred up rather than E10 fuel.

Juan Twothree

Visit site

Is the motor actually overheating, or is it just the water outlet nozzle that's blocked?

Not sure what engine you've got, but usually on engines above a certain size that "tell tale" is just a visual indication that the impeller is working. Most of the cooling water goes down the outboard leg and out through the propeller with the exhaust.

Where I am, the outlet nozzle is always getting blocked with pieces of shell or weed. But the cooling water is still being pumped around the engine block, and it all works fine.

Daydream believer

Visit site
The outboards in our club RIBS suffer from salt in the pipe where the water exits the engine if not sufficiently flushed by the RIB crews at the end of the day.. A piece of bent wire inserted up the outlet & rotated usually sorts the issue.

Khaos

Visit site
Is the motor actually overheating, or is it just the water outlet nozzle that's blocked?

Not sure what engine you've got, but usually on engines above a certain size that "tell tale" is just a visual indication that the impeller is working. Most of the cooling water goes down the outboard leg and out through the propeller with the exhaust.

Where I am, the outlet nozzle is always getting blocked with pieces of shell or weed. But the cooling water is still being pumped around the engine block, and it all works fine.
It's a Mercury 4 Stroke 5hp Sail Mate. It appears to be working normally aside from the water only dripping out. The dripping water is pretty hot, though not too hot to touch.

It's a nice newish motor and so I don't want to risk damaging it. Is there a way I can tell if the water is still being pumped?

Khaos

Visit site
The outboards in our club RIBS suffer from salt in the pipe where the water exits the engine if not sufficiently flushed by the RIB crews at the end of the day.. A piece of bent wire inserted up the outlet & rotated usually sorts the issue.
I'll try this. I have some fishing line that might do it.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I'll try this. I have some fishing line that might do it.

It needs to be a bit stiffer than that.

Think paper clip, or a thin piece of wire.

It is also a good idea to pull the rubber pipe off the top of the nozzle under the cowl. Otherwise, if it's shell or weed that's blocking it rather than just a salt build up, you'd only be pushing the blockage up the pipe, from where it will work its way back to the nozzle.

Khaos

Visit site
Ok. All sorted. So all set for Sunday. Should be quite favourable conditions.

Some of the mono fishing line I have is really thick fluorocarbon. I got it to make leaders for pike fishing. Feeding it into the hole has worked!

Seems my motor is unusual as there doesn't seem to be any water hoses that can be disconnected .The hole connects directly to the engine block with rigid plastic.

Khaos

Visit site
I can honestly say I never went aground…
Not saying I never touched the bottom … But I never got stuck.

Having lifting dagger boards did help.
I'm currently agound somewhere in the vicinity of Walton backwaters. 🙄

It got really dark and cloudy at the wrong time and I couldn't find the bouys. I can see them now though.

I've assessed the situation and it's not too bad. Wind is going to drop overnight so I can just stay here until first light.

Daydream believer

Visit site
View attachment 181021

Chilling in the dinghy as it's pretty uncomfortable on board at this angle.
Many years ago I anchored somewhere around Mersea island in my Stella. I woke up to the sound of the kettle crashing off the fixed cooker on to the floor. I had a serious migraine, as a result of the angle. The same happened when I tried to kip when waiting for water to get in to Bradwell creek. I woke with an awful headache. Anchoring etc is not for me.

Khaos

Visit site
Many years ago I anchored somewhere around Mersea island in my Stella. I woke up to the sound of the kettle crashing off the fixed cooker on to the floor. I had a serious migraine, as a result of the angle. The same happened when I tried to kip when waiting for water to get in to Bradwell creek. I woke with an awful headache. Anchoring etc is not for me.
Why don't boats have hammocks anymore 🤔

Low tide now so will start to level out soon.