Planning first passage. Brightlingsea to Walton Backwater

Yorkshire Exile

Visit site
The pilot book shows a landing at Kirby Creek. :unsure:

If I were to anchor near Titchmarsh what would be the arrangement for going ashore there? Brightlingsea has the town jetty and Wivenhoe and West Mersea have club pontoons that visitors can use. That's all the places I've been. Would it be the same sort of thing? I figured it wouldn't since it's a private marina.
There is a small jetty at the head of Kirby Creek near Honey island, accesssible by dinghy. But it's long walk to the nearest village where there is a shop. I would not fancy taking a yacht as far as Honey Island in a fin keel yacht without an echo sounder (but I am a coward).

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There is a small jetty at the head of Kirby Creek near Honey island, accesssible by dinghy. But it's long walk to the nearest village where there is a shop. I would not fancy taking a yacht as far as Honey Island in a fin keel yacht without an echo sounder (but I am a coward).
Also, Kirby Creek dries, so you'd have to time your shore time carefully to avoid being stranded.

Khaos

Visit site
I'm going to try to fix the echo sounder. But I'll only move around on a rising tide anyway. And slowly.

MikeBz

Visit site
Kirby Creek doesn’t dry, at least only around the SE/E part of Honey Island. We overnighted just North of Honey Island week ago, I think we saw just under 3m at LW. A couple of other boats overnighted there as well, further N than us. I wouldn’t recommend anchoring where we did though, the horrible sounds from the anchor chain indicate that it’s quite rocky/stony there - next time I would stick further North. The following morning we motored out of Kirby Creek into Hamford Water about an hour after LW and had > 2m (mostly quite a bit more) all the way. It’s only at the entrance to the creek that the depth is quite variable, and there it is soft mud.

This pic is about 2 hours after LW (facing S) the boats you can see on their moorings (W of Honey Island) don’t dry.

IMG_2024-07-05-124221.jpeg

johnalison

Visit site
I'm going to try to fix the echo sounder. But I'll only move around on a rising tide anyway. And slowly.
The sounder on our then Sadler 29 packed up when we were away and we had to cruise round the Frisian islands without one, so you needn't feel out of place going for it. You will want a falling tide coming out of Brightlingsea, so you basically have three choices.
Leave at HW and cross the Bar where you wish, but risk getting to the Naze too early and have to hang around.
Leave a couple of hours after high and trust to luck when crossing the Bar at about mid-point, which should be OK.
Leave a couple of hours after high and go all the way round the Bar buoy.

steve yates

Visit site
I would definitely fix the sounder if at all possible, or replace it with a simple nasa one. The transducer should be a straight swap out and fit no problem. A word of caution, try and not run aground going into the backwaters as its hard sand, much more forgiving once your in and amongst the mud.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Kirby Creek doesn’t dry, at least only around the SE/E part of Honey Island. We overnighted just North of Honey Island week ago, I think we saw just under 3m at LW. A couple of other boats overnighted there as well, further N than us. I wouldn’t recommend anchoring where we did though, the horrible sounds from the anchor chain indicate that it’s quite rocky/stony there - next time I would stick further North. The following morning we motored out of Kirby Creek into Hamford Water about an hour after LW and had > 2m (mostly quite a bit more) all the way. It’s only at the entrance to the creek that the depth is quite variable, and there it is soft mud.

This pic is about 2 hours after LW (facing S) the boats you can see on their moorings (W of Honey Island) don’t dry.

View attachment 179485
Sorry - I meant the inland part, where the landing is.

Khaos

Visit site

View attachment 179485
Thanks that's really useful.

ianc1200

Visit site
The varnished boat, Will O' The Wisp, grounds slightly on the mud beach of Skippers Island if an easterly breeze. Between her and the buoys where the small Hillyard Lindy II is there's a deep hole close to Honeypot Island, with an easterly drop the anchor very close to the west side of Honeypot Island.

Has anybody anchored in the Dardanelles Creek overnight? I've only seen one craft do that, the small Thames Sailing Barge that used to be seen around here.

Aquaboy

Visit site
To get down the wallet in comfort you want the wind behind you....but to get into the Backwaters that will be a head wind.....

A nice southerly would be pretty good, just a jibe in Dovercourt bay......perfect. You might even fetch out of the colne if it had some west in it to begin with.

I'd leave around high water and if I got to pie end too early I'd anchor and let the flood get going before heading in if unfamiliar with the area. Handford water is easier as the tide races around Stone point once it gets going.

Did the first part last Friday morning (windy) from the Piefleet, cut the colne bar. 4 1/2 hours to inside the Harwich break water. Went up the Stour in the afternoon, about another 4 hours to Manningtree. I can sit on the mud so no issue.

johnalison

Visit site
To get down the wallet in comfort you want the wind behind you....but to get into the Backwaters that will be a head wind.....

A nice southerly would be pretty good, just a jibe in Dovercourt bay......perfect. You might even fetch out of the colne if it had some west in it to begin with.

I'd leave around high water and if I got to pie end too early I'd anchor and let the flood get going before heading in if unfamiliar with the area. Handford water is easier as the tide races around Stone point once it gets going.

Did the first part last Friday morning (windy) from the Piefleet, cut the colne bar. 4 1/2 hours to inside the Harwich break water. Went up the Stour in the afternoon, about another 4 hours to Manningtree. I can sit on the mud so no issue.
Take four brownie points for getting up and down right. I have never anchored off Pye End, which doesn’t sound ideal, and I think I’d do a scenic tour round Harwich harbour instead.

The trouble with southerly winds is that they never last long and always turn into westerlies, often strong. A NW would be better as it is not adverse on the return either, if a short trip is planned. It might be colder though. I wouldn’t put people off Stone Point. Although the current runs fast just after the spring ebb starts, it is just a matter of following the buoys.

Last edited:

MikeBz

Visit site
The varnished boat, Will O' The Wisp, grounds slightly on the mud beach of Skippers Island if an easterly breeze. Between her and the buoys where the small Hillyard Lindy II is there's a deep hole close to Honeypot Island, with an easterly drop the anchor very close to the west side of Honeypot Island.

We anchored (or picked up a buoy? Can’t remember) S of Honey Island a few years ago, next door to Lindy. We stayed afloat although I wouldn’t have been bothered if we hadn’t as we had bilge keels back then. The landing stage is clearly visible:

IMG_2024-07-05-214707.jpeg
Has anybody anchored in the Dardanelles Creek overnight? I've only seen one craft do that, the small Thames Sailing Barge that used to be seen around here.
No but it was on my mind to do when we had bilge keels… I suspect it pretty much dries? There is enough water some way up Landermere Creek (it’s narrow at LW) arrowed here - one of my favourite spots:

IMG_2024-07-05-215833.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2024-07-05-215346.jpeg
    IMG_2024-07-05-215346.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2024-07-05-215833.jpeg
    IMG_2024-07-05-215833.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 17

Khaos

Visit site

How soft is the mud? If I grounded slightly would my keel likely sink into it?

Khaos

Visit site

Thanks. Sounds like you had a nice trip.

I'd prefer to get there early so may well have some waiting around to do so might end up either anchoring or aimlessly sailing around a bit.

Khaos

Visit site
We anchored (or picked up a buoy? Can’t remember) S of Honey Island a few years ago, next door to Lindy. We stayed afloat although I wouldn’t have been bothered if we hadn’t as we had bilge keels back then. The landing stage is clearly visible:

View attachment 179509

No but it was on my mind to do when we had bilge keels… I suspect it pretty much dries? There is enough water some way up Landermere Creek (it’s narrow at LW) arrowed here - one of my favourite spots:

View attachment 179517
Thanks. It looks really nice!

Khaos

Visit site
My plan after this is to continue to amble up the coast to Yorkshire. Not in any particular rush as I'd like to get to know the places I visit. But getting past Norfolk looks pretty difficult. It involves sailing a long way with nowhere to stop. Have you guys ever done this in a small yacht?

MikeBz

Visit site
My plan after this is to continue to amble up the coast to Yorkshire. Not in any particular rush as I'd like to get to know the places I visit. But getting past Norfolk looks pretty difficult. It involves sailing a long way with nowhere to stop. Have you guys ever done this in a small yacht?
Not me… furthest I’ve been is Lowestoft but want to get to Wells one day.

Daverw

Visit site
We’ve done hull to wells in 23ft a few years ago, took just over 12 hours and just made it, way back harder but not as time critical as having hitting the bar at wells, either way it’s a challenge but doable you then have to get then to Bridlington which is also doable but you have to get times right as the harbour drys.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
We’ve done hull to wells in 23ft a few years ago, took just over 12 hours and just made it, way back harder but not as time critical as having hitting the bar at wells, either way it’s a challenge but doable you then have to get then to Bridlington which is also doable but you have to get times right as the harbour drys.
I've done Whitby - Lowestoft. It took about 28 hours in a Moody 31. Didn't attempt Wells, as it's a difficult entrance and we couldn't rely on getting there at the right state of tide; the passage could easily have been longer of shorter by several hours.

Khaos

Visit site
I'll particularly enjoy Hull to Bridlington as I'll be sailing past all the beaches I used to spend school holidays at. I'm very familiar with the harbour area too so it will be really nice to spend some time there and see what's changed. I gather the harbour entrance can be difficult?

I really need to buy a pilot book that covers the area.