Planning ahead for the big retirement cruise

st599

Visit site
I think your “several months” is in fact 18 months
I quote
You will be entitled to import your boat into the UK without becoming liable for UK VAT under temporary admission rules. The following conditions apply to temporary admission: The vessel must not be located in the UK for more than 18 months.

Also it’s about transfer of goods so citizenship does not apply in this case.
Citizenship doesn't but residency does, a UK resident can't use UK temporary import and an EU resident can't use EU temporary import.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Does being dual citizen helps? Maybe not in theory, but maybe yes from a “practical” point of view.
I think the OP is an Irish citizen so he can use the boat in Northern Ireland without limit and in the mainland U.K. for 18 months without paying VAT.
I have dual nationality (actually tripple but that’s another story) but my home address is in mainland U.K. so I will have to pay VAT immediately on mine if I ever bring it to U.K. which is a bit of a pain unless I become resident in the Irish Republic ( doesn’t work with a NI residence). Oddly I still have a Euro bank account with Bank of Ireland based off my brother’s NI address whereas the French bank I had one with has closed it.
Brexit is so f**ked up