Placement of Rope clutches

coopec

N/A
Visit site
There's a lot of threads on installation of rope clutches which I have yet to read but before I start drilling holes in the deck is this Spinlock clutch about in the right position? (It is 10 inches away from the Arco 44 winch)

imgonline-com-ua-resize-j4RXjCNjfDerB.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Would suggest you align the clutches central to the winch. If the winch is not already bolted down, consider moving that a bit further outboard first.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Take a length of string through the deck organiser ( or whatever the line is intended to turn on), and around the winch. The central clutch of the group should be aligned with this. Its distance from the winch should be within the distance the smallest member of your crew requires to work it, and not so far forward as to interfere with any sprayhood that might potentially be installed. Naturally, the further forward you mount it, the smaller will be the angles made by the lines coming through the two outer clutches in the clutch.

Wing Mark

Visit site
Consider also whether it's only the 3 clutches you need to think about?
You may want either more clutches there. or lines running past the clutches direct from winch to mastfoot blocks, I've sailed a boat where the reefing lines did that, also things like pole foreguy.
Winch makers and clutch makers may give data?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Would suggest you align the clutches central to the winch. If the winch is not already bolted down, consider moving that a bit further outboard first.
Thanks for that. But the winch is bolted down. If I moved it out too much the winch-man would have to kneel on the cockpit seat.
Another thing I'll have to consider is where to put the halyard tails? Is this the way to go?

IMG_4282.jpeg

fredrussell

Visit site
Mine has halyard bags like that but facing aft into the cockpit.

Top tip: calculate how many clutches you need and then add two or three to that figure. There are seemingly never enough of the damn things. I’m up to fourteen and still running short!

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Consider also whether it's only the 3 clutches you need to think about?
You may want either more clutches there. or lines running past the clutches direct from winch to mastfoot blocks, I've sailed a boat where the reefing lines did that, also things like pole foreguy.
Winch makers and clutch makers may give data?
I have two Spinlock XTS/3 clutches.
I've only ever sailed socially so you mustn't get too technical:rolleyes:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Thanks for that. But the winch is bolted down. If I moved it out too much the winch-man would have to kneel on the cockpit seat.
Another thing I'll have to consider is where to put the halyard tails? Is this the way to go?

IMG_4282.jpeg
Either stuffed into halyard bags like that, or dumped down the companionway. Don't coil them in case you need to drop them quickly, such as in the 'unlikely event' of catching pot-buoy line on your rudder, which will swing your boat stern to wind, making dropping the mainsail difficult or impossible, thus causing severe stress to your rudder stock. Of course if you have a furling headsail that halyard can remain coiled.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I disagree. The rope does not meet the winch at its centre.

The natural line of the rope out of the clutch should make a tangent with the left-hand (in this view) edge of the winch drum.

Pete
There will be three ropes in that particular set of clutches, one of them, preferably the central one, will meet the winch at a tangent, the other two will make shallow angles. Of course the further away from the winch the clutch is installed the less this angle will be, with less consequent friction and chafe.

prv

Visit site
There will be three ropes in that particular set of clutches, one of them, preferably the central one, will meet the winch at a tangent, the other two will make shallow angles.

Yes, of course. But lining them up with the middle of the winch as Tranona suggested would work against that.

Pete

pandos

Visit site
If you have not fixed in place the organisers you should probably, thread all of the lines through the clutches and the organisers, put in place the spray hood and see how they all fall into place.

I'd make sure the main halyard (if you intend to use that) comes to the winch at the best angle. That will probably be the outermost line so your clutches may need to be fitted slightly askew depending in how/if you are fitting organisers...

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Either stuffed into halyard bags like that, or dumped down the companionway. Don't coil them in case you need to drop them quickly, such as in the 'unlikely event' of catching pot-buoy line on your rudder, which will swing your boat stern to wind, making dropping the mainsail difficult or impossible, thus causing severe stress to your rudder stock. Of course if you have a furling headsail that halyard can remain coiled.
I disgree. Stuffing ropes anywhere is not the way to go. Coil the ropes & hang them neatly. When you need to let them off the coils are neat to hand & can be fed out at whatever speed required. Leaving them tangled is a recipe for getting a knot in the line & is just lazy sailing.
Dumping lines below leave them open to getting caught. One cannot immediately see where that may be without going below, thus wasting time

Wing Mark

Visit site
I have two Spinlock XTS/3 clutches.
I've only ever sailed socially so you mustn't get too technical:rolleyes:
Main halyard
Topping lift
Genoa halyard. (x2?)
Spinnaker halyard (x2?)
Pole uphaul
Kicker
Outhaul
Reefing lines x2 or x3 or maybe x 4 or x6....
Genoa furler maybe?

Not all of the above need to be clutches, and not all need to be right in front the winches.

Putting 3 clutches on each side then wanting to add more is how my new-to-me boat became in need of a serious re-think.
The chance to start from a clean sheet is a great thing, don't waste it!

I'm looking at moving outhaul and kicker out of clutches by fitting some more powerful tackles and using cam cleats, in order to free up jammers for a reefing system that works better than what I have.

Also laying out the controls so all the loose tails are not dumped on top of one another has some appeal.
It's easy to say 'coil them up nicely' but kite halyard and kicker need to be ready to be eased.
Shaking out a reef, several lines need to be worked, and all those need to be free at that time.