Pioneer 9

Minerva

Visit site
I'm considering it! I'm going to lift the ceiling/deck of the main cabin by one foot and I'm going to extend it by one or two feet into the cockpit. I'm going to put a a nice bed under the cockpit with a hatch looking into the cockpit and for extra light, and that is just for starters once I've ripped everything out, sanded down and cleaned it and painted all the interior. When it's finished it will look something like this. See photos

Looks good! Why don’t you go the whole Hogg and have a hot-tub installed on the foredeck too? Perhaps turn the forepeak into a sauna?

Captain Blade

Visit site
I think some people are starting to exaggerate a bit on here. What I thought was a serious forum where I could find expert help and advice is turning into a joke. A Pool Table, a Hot Tub, a bath, somebody is having a joke!

When I've finished my boat will look something like in the attachment. I'm raising the main cabin ceiling and increasing the length of the cabin by about two feet into the cockpit. I'm also going to take out the aft storage locker and expand the cockpit that way.

Attachments

• g49108-moored-fwd.jpg
    g49108-moored-fwd.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 18

Tranona

Visit site
I think some people are starting to exaggerate a bit on here. What I thought was a serious forum where I could find expert help and advice is turning into a joke. A Pool Table, a Hot Tub, a bath, somebody is having a joke!

When I've finished my boat will look something like in the attachment. I'm raising the main cabin ceiling and increasing the length of the cabin by about two feet into the cockpit. I'm also going to take out the aft storage locker and expand the cockpit that way.
It is indeed a serious forum, but from time to time people appear on it with bonkers ideas.

MisterBaxter

Visit site
Captain Blade, maybe you'll get more useful advice if you get more into the specifics. How are you going to build the extended cabin sides to raise the cabin roof? There would be a big problem to solve in terms of strength there.
And how will it work around the mast foot - is the mast deck-stepped or keel-stepped? Both would present some challenges.

Captain Blade

Visit site
Captain Blade, maybe you'll get more useful advice if you get more into the specifics. How are you going to build the extended cabin sides to raise the cabin roof? There would be a big problem to solve in terms of strength there.
And how will it work around the mast foot - is the mast deck-stepped or keel-stepped? Both would present some challenges.
Mister Baxter, you're a bit slow. I'm well ahead of you. Being suspended from this forum as enabled to make a start see attachments: Zeemuze

penfold

Visit site

Notwithstanding the trolling; if you want an LM, buy an LM. Trying to turn a Pionier 9 into one isn't going to end well except for waste disposal contractors and materials suppliers.

pmnfernando

Visit site
i wouldnt say it is beyond salvation but it is a MASSIVE project, both in time and money involved.
this boat is a classic design, said to be the first european GRP produced design. this detail alone makes it worthwhile. but this isnt for everyone. first it needs to appeal to you, second: to what standard do you want to refit it?, third: what kind of sailing will you be doing with it? (this will spill into the refit standard both in materials, equipment and how extensively you want to refit it, ie, money and time (again)
i am currently refitting a Pionier 9 as a go-anywhere boat, the interior is being completely redesigned for one person, 2 at a maximum and for brief periods of time (and they really need to be besties!)
yes there are "better" boats and more confortables one. but i live in Asia, near Hong Kong, and there arent much choices, plus boats here are crazy expensive. so this one belonged to a friend and i made it into my project
although i work as a rigger technician in the entertainment industry i am a trained Art Restorer, so i like old stuff and i look upon it as a testemony of Time, ie, Us humans in (whatever) said time period. Although feasible i wouldnt do any of the modifications aforementioned. more than anything it is wrecking the aesthetics of the boat, messing with mass distribution and consequentely altering the designed performance. but to each its own.

pmnfernando

Visit site
since there's been a bit of an interest in Pioniers 9 of late i leave here a few photos of the work done so far on mine
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-22 at 16.30.14 (3).jpeg
with the bunks removed but with the floor molding still attached (it was also removed)

222.jpeg
empty V berth

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-02 at 21.02.23.jpeg
peeling the gelcoat

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-29 at 23.06.53 (2).jpeg
primed

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-02 at 22.14.58 (6).jpeg
applying fairing compound

painting 2.jpeg
painted but before polishing (i actually didnt like the result of polishing but couldnt do without it as i had a good few runs)

tank skin fitted.jpeg
new keel bolts and a bilge tank skin that i moulded to the hull

first partitions in 2.jpeg
compartmentalizing the initial skin into smaller tanks

first trimming.jpeg
one of the individual tanks

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 19.54.59 (1).jpeg
keel before

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 19.55.00.jpeg
keel after

laminating the  bulkhead.jpeg
anchor locker

pmnfernando

Visit site
wall and floor lams.jpeg
some V berth cabinetry and floor piece

reinforcemen lams.jpeg
stb V berth cabinetry

port locker storage cutout.jpeg
port bunk

rought fit.jpeg
stb bunk and upper cabinets rought fitbefore cutting the floor piece.jpeg
cockpit floor that i decided to lower in order to have standing room under the future bimini

after cutting the cockpit floor.jpeg
after removing the cockpit floor