Pioneer 9

pmnfernando

Visit site
thanks guys

i will put some photos of the refit but if you want more a lot more info and photos go to plasticclassicforum.com, go to projects page and then look up for" Introducing Katie J"

pmnfernando

Visit site
cracking on the cockpit floor
gluing the new drain channels i previsouly laminated
glueing up new channels.jpeg

dry fit on the new lockers walls
dry fit partitions.jpeg

dry fit with the cockpit floor
cockpit lockers seen from aft.jpeg

got around to template and cut the water tank baffle (the black line is the final lid height
not sure about the volume but i think its close to 200 liters (55 gallons)
cutting the watertank baffle.jpeg

pmnfernando

Visit site
Nice job but I'm surprised that you are allowed to do that sort of work in the water.
this is China. this marina is a open sewer to begin with and you should see what other people do, on a daily basis, around here. the peeler is connected to the vaccuum which gets most of it and i vaccuum whatever gets on deck . i do what i can to minimize the impact.

pmnfernando

Visit site
That's got to be one of the deepest and most thorough restorations ever!
it has been a lot of work but also alot of fun when you get to redesign and build the stuff and features you want. once you start messing about in it its difficult to stop because just a few inches away there is something that can be improved, or, the classic situation: "well if im doing this, i might as well do that" and on and on and on. it will take me 2 more seasons to have it completely done to my taste, in 2025. maybe...i can restep the mast by the end of this year but its a very loose maybe, maybe it happens, maybe not!

pmnfernando

Visit site
Nice job but I'm surprised that you are allowed to do that sort of work in the water.

marina today
marina water.jpeg

so yummi!
marina water 2.jpeg
its already dead, easy catch!

and the best for last...
marina sewer.jpeg

hehehe yeah, fun times in china! the only things that growns on the hulls are a type of weed, there is absolutely no barnacles. my boat was 4 years without being dry, not a single barnacle or any other thing,

Minerva

Visit site

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
There's a book called "When I Put Out to Sea" by Nicolette Milnes Walker, who was the first woman to sail single-handed across the Atlantic in 1971 - in a Pionier 9 (as she spells it), Aziz.
Marked in my copy of the book, by my father, who owned one in the 70s, is the comment: "The bilge pump was in a stupid place, inside the heads compartment. I had to lift the floorboards, open the exit cock of the toilet and put the exit pipe from the pump into the toilet bowl..." I don't know if they have improved the system, but I vaguely remember something of the kind when I was a little girl.
Two blokes sailed my Dad's Pioneer, Tio Pepe, to Fiji, where the mainsail blew out and she foundered on a reef, about 150 miles from her destination - so what vyv_cox said, but make sure the sails aren't worn out.
Ms Walker's spelling of "Pionier" is correct.

pmnfernando

Visit site
dodger continuation
getting some lines scribled in to shape the windshield
getting the window scribbled 2.jpeggetting the window scribbled.jpeg

before cutting
before cutting 2.jpeg
after cutting
window cut.jpeg
other view points
window cut portside.jpegwindow cut stern.jpegwindow cut. bow.jpeg

uglies to be fixed (the wavy bits)
uglies to fix.jpeg

problems with compound curves
gaps created by twisting over 2 axis upon a short distance.
im going to patch the gaps as you would patch thru hulls, get the overall shape (a bit oversize for a later trim), and slap layers of cloth together, tightly cinged then use thickneed epoxy to bed and bridge the remaining mm
problems with compound curves 2.jpegproblems with compound curves.jpeg

pmnfernando

Visit site
more work being done

for more info go to
Introducing Katie-J - Plastic Classic Forum

finished glassing the under cockpit floor partitions in
partitions glassed.jpeg

scribbled the fuel tank lid inside the locker which will house it
the lid will have a in built tilt towards the centre of the boat to allow water to drain straight onto the gutters ive built
fuel tank line scribbling.jpeg

got around to template the water tank lid
this is the moment where i realized the template was locked in, couldnt get it out, thus meaning the lid will actually be comprised of 2 sections.
i mean...in the end its only a bit more work isnt it?! ahahha
realizing the template is locke din.jpeg