Pin Mill

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Surely there must be a nice Toby Carvery in Kettering.

In my opinion there is nothing nice in Kettering. Which is why I'm aiming to move away from the area as soon as I possibly can!

Btw, Mr Kipper, I live about a mile from the Trading Post (never been in it cos there's a perfectly good pub between me an it), slightly bemused by the concept of a fine seagoing vessel changing hands in the middle of the Midlands!

sailorman

Visit site
In my opinion there is nothing nice in Kettering. Which is why I'm aiming to move away from the area as soon as I possibly can!

Btw, Mr Kipper, I live about a mile from the Trading Post (never been in it cos there's a perfectly good pub between me an it), slightly bemused by the concept of a fine seagoing vessel changing hands in the middle of the Midlands!
Wicksteed park was good when i wus a kid

Colvic Watson

Visit site

It was halfway between Ipswich and Wales :)

Cotillion

Visit site
I've sailed past Pin Mill many times over the last fifteen years. In spite of its' reputation I've never been tempted to stop. Looks a dump from the river so not surprised by the photo.

Reminds me of the time my brother in law took me around the old town in Nice. I said to him, "It maybe called quaint in Nice, in Hackney it's called a slum."

johnalison

Visit site
I've sailed past Pin Mill many times over the last fifteen years. In spite of its' reputation I've never been tempted to stop. Looks a dump from the river so not surprised by the photo.

Reminds me of the time my brother in law took me around the old town in Nice. I said to him, "It maybe called quaint in Nice, in Hackney it's called a slum."
Pin Mill is not a slum. Personally, I like seeing stuff which is old and battered, because it makes me feel young and handsome in comparison. Part of the East Coast way of life involves pumping up the dinghy in the rain and rowing it ashore with the children/dogs/hangers-on and then tramping through the mud hoping that you have left it high enough not to escape in the rising tide while you have drinks ashore or walk up to the village where they have sold the last of your newspaper.

dancrane

Visit site
attachment.php

I haven't been there, though I believe my grandfather was a local. That would have been well before the era when Arthur Ransome's stories were set and written.

Can't say I'm much tempted to visit, by this photo. Is Mr Daydream Believer really so wide of the mark in his judgement?

Lots of places look that way these days - piles of scrap, dumped by folk unconcerned by the fall-out from their hobbies or business. Is the claimed affection in this thread, a joke?

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
[i wasn't that impresses the last time I shopped for F&C in Southminster either. Lots of bored youths about making a racket. Never heard that at Pin Mill-too upmarket for that sort of malarkey QUOTE=Daydream believer;5291072]How can you say that looks good
It could be a typical scene from some 3rd world country
Why do we allow people to create such a mess?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TimBennet

Visit site
Is the claimed affection in this thread, a joke?

That particular corner isn't very appealing, but it's not typical of the place as a whole.

But 'care in the community' has presented society with all sorts of challenges. I'm sure lot's on here would love to see the council move in, bulldoze it all into a bonfire and ship the owner off to some institution 'where they would be better able to cater for his needs'.

Daydream believer

Visit site
[i wasn't that impresses the last time I shopped for F&C in Southminster either. Lots of bored youths about making a racket. Never heard that at Pin Mill-too upmarket for that sort of malarkey QUOTE=Daydream believer;5291072]How can you say that looks good
It could be a typical scene from some 3rd world country
Why do we allow people to create such a mess?
[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure where anyone has suggested southminster as a holiday stay. However, when people dump their rubbish in the middle of it all the local council moves in to rectify the matter
But the suggestion that the rubbish ruining what could be a nice place (Pin Mill) is acceptable, is not--in my view- acceptable
i expect that the " silent majority" is not that much impressed either

Seajet

Visit site
I haven't been to Pin Mill either - know it from the Arthur Ransome books of course.

I also have a lot of time for liveaboards, who as far as I've met are way, way different from pikeys ( for whom, after personal experiences, I think a heated red hot spear and a gatling gun is too kind ) BUT if I were a liveaboard I'd be careful to be very ' green ' and not make any sort of mess, knowing that one is in a bit of a tenuous situation especially when waterfront property is at a premium...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Over the year we spend a lot of year Liveaboard , and nearly every Liveaboard I met have gone out of there way to make sure they leave no foot print behind if any thing some spend winter months help clearing up other people mess , the culprit are , people who are out for a few weeks ,dumping there black tank in anchorage and leaving alsort of rubbish about , two years ago after a BBQ on a beach involving a well know charter company the lead boat had to be stopped from leaving an anchorage by other yachties to clear up the mess they made
the night before, paper places and cups all over the place .
Has I write this I just witness another charter of I think French ( sorry all our French friend if your read this ) leave a rubbish bag on the rocks because there not a bin about , we now have to go and remove it before it get spread very where .