Pin Mill

BlueChip

Visit site
I was in Ipswich last week and dropped off at the Butt and Oyster for a pint.
It's many years since we were last there, it was a favourite weekend trip in our Jaguar 25 when we moored at Maylandsea
The pub has been tarted up a lot since we were last there but doesn't seem to have been spoilt. The beer is still good and straight from the barrel.
Pleased to see that the liveaboards are still going strong and the council haven't moved them out, the scene below is just as I remember it 25 years ago.

pinmill.jpg

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Funny we use to have a jaguar 25 merry years ago and moored it in the new cut , at the end of the Orwell , I have many a fond memories of trapping thought the mud to get to B and O kids up to there knees in mud loving it . Thanks for posting this ,

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Having read Arthur Ransome as a kid, the Butt and Oyster is (still) on my list of Places To See....

Alma Cottage is a holiday let ... on my list of places to stay, ideally combined with a trip on the Nancy Blackett. With a bit of luck she'll come up the river and miss her mooring while I am pottering about in a dinghy.

horatio_nelson

Visit site
Directly opposite Pin Mill on the north bank is Orwell Park School - my alma mater :)

Learnt to sail there (although we always sailed from Waldringfield on the Deben rather than anywhere on the Orwell).

image.jpg

Last edited:

Debenair

Visit site
If you think that's bad what about the elephants graveyard of rotting fishing boats a little further downstream?
Technically the houseboats which are on the tidal mudflats could I suppose be deemed to be vessels at anchor and therefore not subject to the T&CPA?
In any event they are typically also moored to the shore above MHW mark, and take services via conduits laid in or under land, in the ownership of the National Trust.

Leighb

Visit site
I think the houseboats do pay council tax, and are subject to planning permission, basically Babergh won't allow any more in the future. They do
use services and are connected to water and electricity.

Binman

Visit site
You can't really be a daydream believer, if that photo doesn't stir something in you, as a boy I would have explored that scene, you have to half close your eyes and make believe. Yes it could be a third world country, how exciting, I have made many trips to kovolam in southern India for holidays, and explored the many alleyways behind the sea front, with tailors busy at work, they will make you a shirt you can pick up on the way back from the beach, then heaps of garbage and choked streams, old temples with a service going on, looking at the way they dress and dance, all sorts of little stop offs for a drink or curry, using your fingers to eat it with, then further in land lovely rivers, with king fishers darting about, little island villages, a surprise round every bend, I could go on for hours, having a shave with a cut throat in the barbers hand, it's amazing where your imagination can take you, enjoy.

Independence

Visit site
We also had a Jaguar 25 at Pin Mill...small world.

I organised what was the first (and possibly only) Jaguar owners meeting at Titchmarsh marina many moons ago, perhaps you were there!

Still at Pin Mill but in a different boat. Wouldn't want to be any where else.

Daydream believer

Visit site
You can't really be a daydream believer, if that photo doesn't stir something in you, as a boy I would have explored that scene, you have to half close your eyes and make believe. Yes it could be a third world country, how exciting, I have made many trips to kovolam in southern India for holidays, and explored the many alleyways behind the sea front, with tailors busy at work, they will make you a shirt you can pick up on the way back from the beach, then heaps of garbage and choked streams, old temples with a service going on, looking at the way they dress and dance, all sorts of little stop offs for a drink or curry, using your fingers to eat it with, then further in land lovely rivers, with king fishers darting about, little island villages, a surprise round every bend, I could go on for hours, having a shave with a cut throat in the barbers hand, it's amazing where your imagination can take you, enjoy.

Enjoy-- You must be joking
thanks for the description of Kovolam - sounds a right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must admit, I liked watching "An Idiot Abroad" on TV - saved me from ever wanting to go to those places
Went to Tangiers for our honeymoon. Never again
A walk around Dale Farm is enough for me anytime

xyachtdave

Visit site
^^

He's got a point about the state of the liveaboard section!

I was expecting a couple of bicycles and a BBQ on a pontoon not the old pallet/rubbish going on there. Fair play to them but run the broom round when you get 5 minutes chaps....

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The photo don't do the place justice , pin mill have got this old and unique look about it , you need to see it to appraceate he feeling about the place , in the summer people sail from Holland , Belgium , Germany just to anchor or pick one of the bouys which are normal free , now and then a ship will pass and at low water , if you too close in the ship would suck he water away and for a few moments you end up on the mud , at night the peacefully of the place is over coming and in the morning your wonken by the birds singing , now and then a boat would dry up on the post for a scrub as we have done many time , the only down side is ( if it's a down side ) the hard isn't long enough and at LWS you could end up after coming out of the pub having a long wait before you can get your dinghy back in the water or if you mad enough or drank enough you could try and drag it though the mud ,
The pub , boat yards , little cottages by the water side , old barges , scrubbing post , the stream that runs by the Side of the concrete hard and the mud make Pim mill what it is , a very charming place
I not see the place in six years now so how much chance there been I wouldn't know but I hope there not been much.
As we sail around the Med , if you talk about Pin Mill someone will coment that they have been there or heard about it .

Last edited:
Visit site
Some photos for anyone interested -- the Butt & Oyster, Alma Cottage, and The Hard --

pin-mill2.jpg
pin-mill3.jpg
pin-mill1.jpg
Mike