Permenant Mooring Fees

RichieSaps

Visit site
Hi Guys and Girls,

Have my eyes on my first boat, a choice of a couple of Fairline Targas (34, 38 or 40) but haven't decided which one yet. Working on my budget and savings I have everything worked out apart from Mooring Fees.

I live in Cornwall and would like to home base myself at either Falmouth or Fowey. I have 2 questions I need answering

1. What is the rough cost at each of the places, don't mind what type of mooring, just need a rough cost so I can budget accordingly. I know i can email each of the areas but then I will be bombarded by emails.

2. Obviously there will be a waiting list so I will need to moor/anchor up while waiting. Any suggestions/best practise.

Thanks in advance for any info, I tried searching but there's no recent info. Also being ex navy I have experience in both sailing and powercraft operation

RichieSaps

Visit site
Thanks Boathouse for the info.

Still trying to get my head around the different names for the same mooring types and off course the different types of course.

I've always been out on friends boats or hired boats so learning all the time

Hacker

Visit site
1. What is the rough cost at each of the places, don't mind what type of mooring, just need a rough cost so I can budget accordingly. I know i can email each of the areas but then I will be bombarded by emails.

2. Obviously there will be a waiting list so I will need to moor/anchor up while waiting. Any suggestions/best practise.

Thanks in advance for any info, I tried searching but there's no recent info. Also being ex navy I have experience in both sailing and powercraft operation
If you go to the websites for Falmouth Marina, Falmouth Haven, Pendennis Marina and Mylor Harbour you will find that the mooring costs are shown (sometimes needs a bit of digging). Falmouth Haven will also show the costs of swinging moorings in the harbour. Falmouth Boat Co. and Treffusis Estates also have swinging moorings as well.

alandalus11

Visit site
Hi Guys and Girls,

Have my eyes on my first boat, a choice of a couple of Fairline Targas (34, 38 or 40) but haven't decided which one yet. Working on my budget and savings I have everything worked out apart from Mooring Fees.

I live in Cornwall and would like to home base myself at either Falmouth or Fowey. I have 2 questions I need answering

Can't you just ring up the marina or harbour office and ask?? They can tell you straight away what the cost will be and if there's a wait list.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hi Guys and Girls,

I would suggest that you contact the marina directly. You're more likely to be get silence than being flooded with emails.

Note that you can't just leave a boat like that at anchor. It would be very risky and there's no way you'd get insurance for it. You might also find that the demand for a swinging mooring is greater than that for a marina berth.

colhel

Visit site
Thanks Boathouse for the info.

Still trying to get my head around the different names for the same mooring types and off course the different types of course.

I've always been out on friends boats or hired boats so learning all the time
Basically you've got 2 different types, walkashore and non walkashore. A walkashore means you can step aboard from the shore, usually a floating pontoon that rises and falls with the tide, or a harbour/quay/river wall or bank.
A non walkashore usually means you have to access your boat via a dinghy or water taxi. This could be either your boat is attached to a mooring buoy, a mid river pontoon etc.
Walkashore is usually more expensive. Price will be charged per metre of length overall.
A ballpark for walkashore I'm guessing you'd be looking at about £450-£500 per metre per annum in a commercial marina, cheaper if you can find a club with space.
For a buoy, guessing £100-£150 per metre.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
Hi Guys and Girls,

Some swinging moorings are quite cheap per annum (If and when you can get one - in Fowey that could be a long time) but you do have to consider where you will park the car. Somewhere that is:

Cheap or free
Convenient
Safe

The you have to consider where you will park the dinghy. Somewhere that is:
Cheap or free
Convenient
Safe
This is a particular worry if you have a smart tender with matching engine.

For these reasons (plus the inevitable fussing to get people to and from the boat each trip and any state of the tide), many people think a marina berth is well worth the outlay. You are looking at 5 to 7k per year but it solves a lot of problems, esp if you a live a distance away.

oldgit

Visit site
Would suggest you think very carefully regards who is going boating with you when choosing that mooring.
Any "significant other " is not going to amused filling up a dinghy ( or trot boat) with piles of stuff and clambering on and off any boat out on some god forsaken swinging trot mooring especially on dark windy night.
At least if you drive down to your pride and joy on a pontoon in a sheltered marina and the weather ( winter or summer) is rubbish you can spend the day emptying bottles in to glass flutes on table that is stationary .
Try that in a windy day on a trot mooring.
If you can afford to be considering any of the boats on your list you really should be able to afford a decent pontoon mooring ?
Only yachties think that lurching around for hours on end trying to keep food and refreshments on the saloon table is " fun"

Last edited: