Panic! Do I need a courtesy flag for Wales?

Shibumi

Visit site
Now I'm confused. For many people Welsh is their first language - what else would you expect them to speak? :confused:

And what "Gaelic" currency would you offer? Scottish notes with direct parity to English ones? Incidentally, I think you will find that Wales is Celtic country, not a Gaelic one. But you are not anti-Celtic are you? :rolleyes:

My name is 'McGillicuddy'

What Celtic heritage do you claim?

If Welsh is 'their first language' - why were they speaking English as we walked in and why are all their prices in English?

If they don't have their own currency, why should they decry English money?

Last edited:
C

catalac08

Now I'm confused. For many people Welsh is their first language - what else would you expect them to speak? :confused:

And what "Gaelic" currency would you offer? Scottish notes with direct parity to English ones? Incidentally, I think you will find that Wales is Celtic country, not a Gaelic one. But you are not anti-Celtic are you? :rolleyes:

I love sailing in Wales but the Welsh can be extremely rude-I have lost count of the times when I have entered a shop/pub and the staff and locals immediately switch from speaking english into speaking welsh. It seems to be an automatic thing they do without thinking about it. When this is pointed out to the "offenders" they are always embarrassed. Pity about this nationalist undercurent as it spoils a lovely part of the Uk.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I love sailing in Wales but the Welsh can be extremely rude-I have lost count of the times when I have entered a shop/pub and the staff and locals immediately switch from speaking english into speaking welsh. It seems to be an automatic thing they do without thinking about it. When this is pointed out to the "offenders" they are always embarrassed. Pity about this nationalist undercurent as it spoils a lovely part of the Uk.

I've been shopping in Wales for 50 odd years now & never noticed that. They will speak English to English customers but then revert, naturally to their native tongue. I'm always flattered when they think I am a local.

McGillicuddy, my paternal heritage traces to Cork, 3 generations back, my name is Kean.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
Sorry, but if you don't like the Welsh people or our language then don't bother coming to Wales - stay in England or where ever!

As previously discussed you weren't exactly the best occupiers of our country. My mother still tells of how she beaten when she spoke Welsh by her (English speaking) teachers, why shouldn't she have been allowed to speak her native tongue? If the teachers wanted to understand the kids then learn Welsh - after all they were teaching in Wales were people tended to speak Welsh.

Some of you guys should read up on what was done to Wales for own good and their (English owned) profits!

So if you do come to Wales then do fly a Welsh flag (or St David's flag) - it will be appreciated. Don't moan about people speaking their own language - after all its is our natural native tongue unlike English which is not a natural native tongue.

Visit site
Do not fly that Red Dragon monstrosity that the Victorians palmed us of with, along with a 'Prince' Get the flag of St David and fly it with pride!

Miserable toad - Y Ddraig Goch is an attractive flag and very much different to the boring general rule. The flag of st david is associated with Cardiff City FC so its the direct Welsh equivalent of the flag of St George.

Baggy

Visit site
Sorry, but if you don't like the Welsh people or our language then don't bother coming to Wales - stay in England or where ever!

As previously discussed you weren't exactly the best occupiers of our country. My mother still tells of how she beaten when she spoke Welsh by her (English speaking) teachers, why shouldn't she have been allowed to speak her native tongue? If the teachers wanted to understand the kids then learn Welsh - after all they were teaching in Wales were people tended to speak Welsh.

My mother used to tell me

When she was at school in the east end of london, that they were not allowed to talk in class
even one utterance would result getting a beating from the very strict welsh teachers

Cymrogwyllt

Visit site
You will normally find that we generally treat people in the same manner as they treat us.

People displaying what most consider to be normal civility are treated in the same manner.

On the other hand the hotel here
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...hen-staff-from-speaking-welsh-55578-28518306/

will no doubt suffer the same fate as the Waenfawr post office/shop. It refused to heve a Welsh sign in the window. The community voted with their feet. Owners were bust in six months.

johnwest

Visit site
Perhaps out of common politeness the chef in question could at least show a little respect for the local staff and learn a few words of the local language. Or is that asking too much ?

j

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
I have never experienced any animosity from the Welsh and I have no problem with them speaking their own language.
SWMBO has learnt a few useful phrases and it has always been well received when she's used them.
I don't fly a Welsh dragon courtesy flag, but I think I might get one now.

Visit site
On the other hand the hotel here
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nor...hen-staff-from-speaking-welsh-55578-28518306/

will no doubt suffer the same fate as the Waenfawr post office/shop. It refused to heve a Welsh sign in the window. The community voted with their feet. Owners were bust in six months.

I have a lot of sympathy with that hotel manager. You can't run any organisation when the staff are speaking a language you cannot understand and behind your back. If it were, say, a French chef working in Germany you might expect the chef to learn German but this is not a parallel case. The staff are English speaking and they are choosing to speak Welsh out of disrespect to their boss. There can be no other reason.

But then N Wales has a bit of a rep for this, and I've seen it myself. They are all happily speaking English when you go into a bar but as soon as they hear you they switch to Welsh. Oddly the same thing has never happened to me here in S Wales.

Sad. It's great that the Welsh have such pride in their culture and language. I support the bilingual road signs / documentation we get here. But this hotel has a management problem that is nothing to do with Welsh culture or English domination or any of the other hackneyed jingoistic phrases.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I have a lot of sympathy with that hotel manager. You can't run any organisation when the staff are speaking a language you cannot understand and behind your back.

So if you decide to set up a business in a country where the first language is not one you speak, it might be an idea to learn it, no?

The staff are English speaking and they are choosing to speak Welsh out of disrespect to their boss. There can be no other reason.

What about "because it's their first language" or "because it's how they communicate at other times" or "because it's a Welsh-speaking area"? Mind you, the boss doesn't exactly sound worthy of any respect.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
sorry but this makes no sense, you already wear the BRITISH ensign on your boat and as you are still in BRITISH waters there is no requirement to wear anything else.

Nobody is suggesting that it's a requirement, just that it's an additional courtesy which might be appreciated. Nobody in Scotland cares if you don't fly a Scottish courtesy flag, but many of us like it if you do.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
What about "because it's their first language" or "because it's how they communicate at other times" or "because it's a Welsh-speaking area"?

That is the point that most monoglot English people don't understand. I know the area well, kept my boat there for years and still have club membership nearby. I know and meet many locals who struggle to speak English and it's not so long (20 years) since there were some who did not speak English at all. Now that there is such a pro-Welsh attitude throughout Wales, with most services, TV, radio, forms available in Welsh, there must be many who only speak English very rarely.

Many English people insist that 'they were all speaking English when I entered the shop/pub/restaurant/chipshop etc but changed to Welsh when they saw me' but this is baloney. They speak Welsh all the time!