Padstowe Lugger rigging

SteveA

Visit site
I'm got the chance to sail one of these luggers but am unsure what to do when tacking. The main and mizzen sails are hauled up on yards which cross, and bear on, their masts. When tacking is there a need to dip the sails and move these to the other side of the masts. I hope you inderstand what I mean and can give some advice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Sounds as though she is a dipping lug-sail. Yes, you do have to lower the sail/yard and put it on the other side when tacking.

There is a dipping lug-sail at Saint Ives, but they have the boat on trips and rarely use the sail these days. Although dipping lug-sail, she is not all that old, but built on the lines of an old Saint Ives boat.

If you are down at Falmouth some time, call in on Martin Heard at Gaffers & Luggers at Tregatreath Boat Yard at Mylor Bridge. He builds and sails Falmouth Working Boats and would be able to give you some good help - even though these are gaff rigged.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards,
Philip

William_H

Visit site
Please do not try to spoil the captains pleasure by averting your humiliation. You will be told, you need to be told and if you try to pretend you know anything about sailing it just won't suit the captain at all. It will just cause captain to try to humiliate you even more. Play the game and act dumb. Sorry I probably sound dreadfull and the captain and crew are probably very nice people but I am still sure you will see some of what I am suggesting coming through at times. I sometimes think the captains emulate their boats the older queerer and ornery the boat so too the captain. regards will

<hr width=100% size=1>

SteveA

Visit site
Philip,

Many thanks for your reply - It looks like I am going to have some 'fun' with this rig. The way the wind is blowing at the moment (F6/7) I think I'll leave it to a calmer day.

I sail around Morecambe Bay so I will just have to 'live and learn'

Steve

Williamh - I must be a bit slow but you have lost me!!

<hr width=100% size=1>