pacific destinations - suggestions please

snowleopard

Visit site
planning our next trip, westabout to australia. we plan to pass through panama around 1st june, then the galapagos and across to the marquesas and finally down to NZ for the southern summer.

any suggestions for 'must see' stops between say tahiti and auckland?

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
nonono!

remember this forum is supposed to be for the lucky few who are doing it! those who are still wage slaves and restricted to sundays on the solent should be on scuttlebut or pbo.

only joking of course, while we were out there we seldom had time in internet cafes to join in forum discussions, now we're ashore at plymouth of course, there's plenty of time. i live in hope of some replies from down under later in the day.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Re: nonono!

Can't help with Pacific islands full of dusky topless maidens, but aren't you cutting it a bit fine to get from laid up in Plymouth to Panama by June 1st? I take it you don't intend any dalliances in the Atlantic.

(P.S. Isn't this forum as much for humble mud-creek dwellers as for blue-water heros? More so actually since the latter out doing it mostly lack opportunity for more than occasional postings).

ChrisE

www.simpleisgood.com
In the vainest hope that you want a serious answer

A book I'd recommend looking at.

Assuming that you've got Jimmy Cornell's books then there's The Paciifc Crossing Guide by the RCC updated by Pat Pocock of the OCC, I reviewed this for the CA a couple of month's ago and was most impressed. It has detailed strategies of which combinations of islands are do-able dependng upon how long you have/time of year you are there.

Like Andrew, I'm assuming that you are leaving another year/will have nitrox in your diesel tanks/like 5000 mile unbroken passages/have your boat somewhat closer to the canal than here.
<hr width=100% size=1>

rallyveteran

Visit site
Musket Cove on Malolo Lai Lai just to the west of the main island of Fiji is one of the most yacht friendly spots I have visited. Has ferry connection to the international airport, shore power, some water, cheap beer and is a great jumping off spot for the Yassawas.

Rarotonga is great ashore, but there is no all weather shelter. The island is the perfect size to hire bikes and cycle round in a day, with the mountain on one side and the beach on the other.

Vavau in Tonga has yacht charter fleets, so is reasonable for parts etc, but I found Tonga disappointing ashore.

Just my pennyworth, but DYOR and take your time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: In the vainest hope that you want a serious answer

interested to read your comments on the Pacific Crossing Guide. i wan't too impressed by the atlantic version. it had a few useful bits on routes and timetables but it was swamped by a huge amount of padding about boat preparation and pilotage in selected ports, both of which are covered much better elsewhere.

i intend to get jimmy cornell's book when i can afford it, i went to a seminar on the subject by him a couple of years ago and found it very informative.

concerning various other comments-

yes, i am serious

no, not this year. i could make it to panama in 5 weeks from the uk but what a waste!

it's always worth getting first hand recommendations, however many books you read.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
So ... the truth is out ...

Are you just a wanabee wage slave with distant ambitions, like the rest of us!?

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: Wage Slave

thanks for that brian

rather to my surprise swmbo, no sailor at the best of times, not only spent 3 years helping me build the beast with two hulls but stuck it out throughout our 14000 miles at sea to date. she liked the places we went but was a bit stressed about the wet bits in between.

since then a few trivia like house building have got in the way and she lives in hope that i've 'got it out of my system' so the debate about the next trip goes on. offsping in oz provide a good excuse but for some strange reason she finds 24 hours in a 747 preferable to 18 months at sea. i will probably have to resort to 'are you coming with me when i go?'

<hr width=100% size=1>

elenya

Visit site
Hi Chris

Your first two stops are taken care of by the fact they break the voyage to a couple of big hops rather than one huge one!! Both the Galapagos and Marquesas are supreme. Lots of people miss out the Tuamotos, due to the dread of reefs. I found these atolls to be one of my best stops. The diving here is supreme, get the flood tide into the lagoon through the pass, stunning. I stopped at Ahe and Apataki ( north end) both had easy entrances as long as you follow the normal rules.
Only spent a short (2 days) time in Tahiti, didn't like the crowds! Friends who spent longer did some good exploration and walking and had agreat time. Moorea and Bora Bora were also great.
I missed Nuie on my way past but those that stopped said it was one of the most incredible islands they had been to. Whales in the anchorage about 20 m from your boat was one of the wonderful sights. The island had great diving ( not sure now as acyclone went through a couple of months ago). Tonga ( Ha'apai and Vavau Group) are also a great stop. I ve been back to Tonga a couple of times and enjoyed the sheltered ( mainly) cruising and great wildlife.
We spent a few months in Fiji and had a marvelous time. From rain forest to sandy beaches its got the lot. Good repair facilities and great locals. Would like to have gone for a longer longer look around but time ran out. I can recommend New Zealand as the best cruising area as it has brilliant facilities and great scenery ( but I might be biased!). Best stops in NZ for the winter are opua (bay of islands) very scenic, Whangarie town basin, very freindly and good facilities and finaly Bayswater marina in Auckland if you want to be in the city or work.
The "Charlies charts" series of books is a pretty good pilot book as are the small "Captain teach press" cruising guide to Ha' apai...... Fiji..etc.

enjoy the cruise.

jim d

<hr width=100% size=1>

jonnyhull

Visit site
Maybe a little off your route but New Caledonia is one of the most spectacular places I've ever visited. Wide range of geography - The Riviere Bleu park is stunning. The Isle de Pins just to the South is idyllic - there are a few Japanese honeymooners there since one of their travel writers described it as the closest place to heaven on earth.
Tahiti was good fun but overdeveloped, Moorea next door was a bit bland. I much preferred Houahine.
Have to say that all the above were visited by plane - cruising trip is planned in the next 5 years - similar route to you Panama - NZ via Galapogos, Marquesas and Nouvelle Caledonie!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Re: thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.landfallnavigation.com/minervareefs.html>Minerva Reefs</A>, two mid ocean reefs which are completely submerged at high water and barely appearing at low water; roughly between Fiji and NZ

<hr width=100% size=1>

pragmatist

Visit site
OK OK big bruvver - or should I just say lucky s..d ? But will the rig stay up this time ? I recommend a nice solid Rival myself.

Anyway, shouldn't you be cultivating all those vegetable patches I saw in the photo not swanning off on the boat ?

Don't forget lots of postcards for those of us more firmly rooted - since I'm going back to my broadband trench in a moment the "firmly rooted" is just about literal !

<hr width=100% size=1>a pragmatist is an optimist with a boat in the UK

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I'v always been told that the difference between an optimist and a pessimist is this:

An optimist knows that two and two makes four;
a pessimist know that too, but feels it isn't enough.

<hr width=100% size=1>Experience is a good teacher, but she sends in terrific bills.

pragmatist

Visit site
Him indoors claims its "an optimist in full possession of the truth" - rather hard to live with !

Currently a pragmatist is a broadband cable layer with a boat out of the water till after Easter ! Are you launched yet ? Did you see Scylla from boat or shore ?

pragmatist

Visit site
Correct no. of hulls

If you had the right no. of hulls (i.e. one) then I'd be saying when are you going !