Oyster smack CK273 Primrose

Visit site
This is randomly next to me in Wells, a sorted looking Aldous smack, I wonder if anybody here could put me in touch with the owner? The reason is that she has a businesslike ram on the tiller, some form of autopilot but not an off-the-shelf one, and I would like to ask about it, as my boat has eaten about 3 Ray marine ones and I have thrown in the towel... but Primrose's one has given me fresh inspiration..many thanks.
The OGA boat list online doesn't give the owner, and the brilliant 'Smack Dock' website seems to be a bit moribund.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
If all else fails, perhaps leave a message, with you contact detail, with Bob the harbour master ?

How are you finding Wells ?

Visit site
If all else fails, perhaps leave a message, with you contact detail, with Bob the harbour master ?

How are you finding Wells ?
Thanks, yes I plan to ask the HM just as you say.
Wells is a beautiful little place and I'm glad I pulled in here, mainly due to recommendations on this forum.
The entrance is tricky, no two ways about it. I got towed in by the harbour workboat, because I had a fuel blockage which made my engine stop if opened up faster than tickover, I spent the whole trip down from GY changing filters and blowing through pipes but it was untrustworthy and a power failure coming into Wells woukd have meant a wreck. The workboat turned out after dark in the rain, a really kind act. They put me in the outer harbour with the wind cats etc.
( If I'd had a more experienced and numerous crew, and more wind, I could have sailed in at a pinch, done worse in Norway but the wind died plus my one crew was bewildered and getting very tired, so I swallowed my pride..)
The sunrise over the sands today was totally cosmic, also lots of happy wildlife making funny sounds, and I was deeply reminded of my ancestry, as my mother's family are all local over many generations, allegedly right back to the Iceni!
The town has apparently had a leg up of investment (from the Council combined with wind farm business?)and the place is very pleasant indeed to stroll around, lovely old houses, chatty folk and very pedestrian friendly.
So I totally recommend it. The entrance is very well lit and the website explains in detail the new lights and buoys. Just take care to do it all by the book, properly using all the latest pilotage info. It's worth it in spades. My verdict: 10/10 a gem.

Last edited:
Visit site
Would I be correct in thinking you are moored in the outer harbour?

Yes still here, and the HM workboat has just helped in a singlehanded AWB this evening. They are very willing to assist yachts to enter.
I have got some air lock or fuel blockage to properly make good, then it looks like Lowestoft on Sunday.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks, yes I plan to ask the HM just as you say.
Wells is a beautiful little place and I'm glad I pulled in here, mainly due to recommendations on this forum.
The entrance is tricky, no two ways about it. I got towed in by the harbour workboat, because I had a fuel blockage which made my engine stop if opened up faster than tickover, I spent the whole trip down from GY changing filters and blowing through pipes but it was untrustworthy and a power failure coming into Wells woukd have meant a wreck. The workboat turned out after dark in the rain, a really kind act. They put me in the outer harbour with the wind cats etc.
( If I'd had a more experienced and numerous crew, and more wind, I could have sailed in at a pinch, done worse in Norway but the wind died plus my one crew was bewildered and getting very tired, so I swallowed my pride..)
The sunrise over the sands today was totally cosmic, also lots of happy wildlife making funny sounds, and I was deeply reminded of my ancestry, as my mother's family are all local over many generations, allegedly right back to the Iceni!
The town has apparently had a leg up of investment (from the Council combined with wind farm business?)and the place is very pleasant indeed to stroll around, lovely old houses, chatty folk and very pedestrian friendly.
So I totally recommend it. The entrance is very well lit and the website explains in detail the new lights and buoys. Just take care to do it all by the book, properly using all the latest pilotage info. It's worth it in spades. My verdict: 10/10 a gem.

Glad to hear you like Wells, it's a lovely little town. Used to go there a lot by road with my wife, before we were married, and after, the kids loved it too.

Hope you get the fuel issue sorted.

Where's next after Lowestoft ?

Visit site
Next inked-in stop is Shotley, ( one last look before it gets turned into flats :p ) but somewhere intermediate, and as yet unknown to me, would be interesting to prod into, on the way down because S. of LT is retracing my footsteps. I've never been into Gt. Yarmouth. Nor Southwold, there was a poster here who works in the yard I think.

Plum

Visit site
This is randomly next to me in Wells, a sorted looking Aldous smack, I wonder if anybody here could put me in touch with the owner? The reason is that she has a businesslike ram on the tiller, some form of autopilot but not an off-the-shelf one, and I would like to ask about it, as my boat has eaten about 3 Ray marine ones and I have thrown in the towel... but Primrose's one has given me fresh inspiration..many thanks.
The OGA boat list online doesn't give the owner, and the brilliant 'Smack Dock' website seems to be a bit moribund.

The OGA boat register does show an owner's name (owner from 2012) but you have to log in as a member to see it. You can also see member's contact details in the member's yearbook (last printed in 2018, the next will be in 2020)

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Visit site
The OGA boat register does show an owner's name (owner from 2012) but you have to log in as a member to see it. You can also see member's contact details in the member's yearbook (last printed in 2018, the next will be in 2020)

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Oh yes I should log in of course.
(If you take the Gaffers Log, there is a snippet in the Summer one about my boat, and her modest adventures in Norway. Another exciting instalment to come, in this Autumn's edition!)

Edit: I have just noticed that you are the secretary, sorry :)
so you may have seen it already..

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Next inked-in stop is Shotley, ( one last look before it gets turned into flats :p ) but somewhere intermediate, and as yet unknown to me, would be interesting to prod into, on the way down because S. of LT is retracing my footsteps. I've never been into Gt. Yarmouth. Nor Southwold, there was a poster here who works in the yard I think.

Shout out when you get to Shotley (or when you're on your way), there's a few Shotley berth holders on here, always good to meet in person over a pint or a cuppa.

Gt. Yarmouth doesn't offer much, IMO. Southwold is a bit Marmite, i'm personally not a big fan, but a lot of people love it, i'd think it was a good place for you to call into. Not a difficult entrance, although the tide runs through pretty fast. Be prepared to raft up or tie up to posts. I'm sure others, more intimate with Southwold, will dive in with better advice.

Matthew Riches is the poster that works in the boatyard, i believe he's the yard boy, or tea boy, or something like that :):)

fredrussell

Visit site
Is the tiller pilot spotted on the smack a Pelagic I wonder? I’m waiting for a decent review of one by someone on here who I think I’m right in saying has just ordered one from USA.

Jokani

Visit site
Is the tiller pilot spotted on the smack a Pelagic I wonder?.

That was my first thought, but the 'not of the shelf' phrase made me think it was more of a DIY system.

I ordered a Pelagic, on unboxing the tiller ram is even better manufactured than my research led me to believe, the other parts looked a little more 'Blue Peter' but all looked serviceable and I do not have any concerns. I have had some installation issues, so I have not had the opporunity to test yet, when I have I'll post or add to a thread. Last time out my Raymarine refused to function due to water ingress, so looking forward to getting the Pelagic up and running.

Ben Danziger

Visit site

Hi Ohlin,
I don't know if you are still interested but I am the son of Primrose's Owner, Josh. We are currently on board her at the moment on a circumnavigation around the UK. The autopilot has proved tremendously useful for us as it allows for single handed sailing. It is used constantly when we are on night watch and even has a remote so you can change heading or tack while working with foresails. Do let me know if you would like to know specs as I am sure my Dad would love to fill you in.
All the Best,
Ben

MikeBz

Visit site
I don't know if you are still interested but I am the son of Primrose's Owner, Josh.

I snapped you motoring up the Orwell yesterday. I sailed quite a lot on Primrose with her previous owner. She is a super boat.

IMG_1183.jpg

Aquaboy

Visit site
Saw her off Felixstowe Friday afternoon........ I was out there but too distant for pics.......... and it rained!

Cantata

Visit site
Rang a bell with me, I was sure she was in Oare Creek for a while. And indeed, from the National Historic Ships website, "PRIMROSE is an Essex smack, a fishing vessel of timber carvel construction, iroko on sawn oak frames. She was built in 1892 by Aldous of Brightlingsea and is powered by sail alone. The vessel was built for fishing and oyster dredging from West Mersea and then Maldon. She was saved in the 1970s from the Roach and rebuilt by Testers of Faversham between 1998 and 2000. "

MikeBz

Visit site
They rebuilt her without an engine, which is how the smacks sail best IME. After cleaning up all the smack races with Primrose they rebuilt Alberta (somewhat larger), also engineless, and raised the bar further. I believe Primrose now has an electric motor - the weight of the motor must be negligible and I guess the batteries replace concrete in the bilge.

MikeBz

Visit site
It could be - the colour scheme (corporate Tester) looks right. Although there appear to be some subtle differences comparing your pic to the one below (cutouts in the transom below the name being one). It’s hard to get a grip on the size from that angle. She was fitted with an engine by Testers to sell, at the end of 2011 I think. Unless I’ve got my years muddled up I was on board for the 2012 Swale match but can’t see myself in the picture. This pic is of her at that match (I’m on the helm, then-owner is standing in the pink shirt):

84477950_2902891973090674_1784045322861820661_n.jpg

We were beaten by Emmeline on handicap. On the broad reach back up the Swale the wind was building, being new to the boat that year we were concerned about the loads on the guy and so dropped the spinnaker. Dan told us afterwards it would have been fine.