outboard wont start

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Change the plug

it's always the plug...

You don't say what motor.

Have you changed the fuel, I had a tank on my ol' mercury that had been contaminated and was 50% water and sludge. I had been happily using it the week before, I to this day never worked out how it happened.

change the plug

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
sorry, I was thinking of simple stuff while I typed, if you see the style it is written, blubbering on without coherent grammar, see, I' doin' it again ..

johndove

Visit site
Always found first start of the year or when left for long time a little easy start helps. Little spray in the air intake!

Not good if used often

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
why does everyone hate it so much... it has been a life saver to me in the past. I keep a tin on board and although we have never used it yet, will not hesitate should a time arrive.

I hear on here of engines becoming addicted to it and other rubbish; I think maybe these 'junkie' engines should have been repaired long ago, hence they seem to need it every time, is a symptom not cause.

mtb

Visit site
never use easy start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

because it can do more damage than good, it will pre ignite so before you know it you could cause a fire !!!! aside from possible valve damage /piston ring clearances its just not good enough !

If the compression of an engine is so low then why is it any where near your boat !!! easy start !!! my a##

ok so out board not starting if you left it with fuel in over the winter what do you expect, the carb must be stripped cleaned all orifices blown through with compressed air, also check the diaphragms re pump are ok

cheers
Mick

trying

Visit site
Re: never use easy start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as you only use sensible amounts you won't do any damage.

Allan

Visit site
While motors don't have a "memory" I have a theory as to why you need to continue using easy start products. One of the most usual causes of starting problems is lack of compression. These products are solvent based and can clean the bores and piston edges. This reduces the seal and therefore the compression. So starting continues to be difficult. With diesels I recommend a little oil, as mentioned above. It drains to the piston rings and inproves the seal long enough for it to start, heat up and seal better. I also believe that the oil burns, causes coking and can slightly improve the compression. Based on experiences with a very worn Buhk.
Allan

johnneale

Visit site
That was quick replies - just had my dinner...
I repeat - Got a good spark (at removed plug). good compression and good (new) fuel. Carb been stripped down and jets blown out.
Engine is an old Yamaha p65 (aircooled). Reed valves stripped down & cleaned. all gasket surfaces cleaned and re-gooed. I don't even get a bang. Have no easystart, but have tried WD40 (worked well in the past).
I am exhaused (is this a clue ?)

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
you say good compression. If you have a spark and fuel, try some oil in the piston to seal the bore - it could be that you don't have quite the compression you think.

is the p65 two stroke? if so maybe you haven't got enough petrol/oil mix around it yet to seal the bore and once it starts you'll be okay. this certainly works with my old two strokes when they won't fire

trying

Visit site
Depends what you mean by cleaning the bores. Actually one of the worst problems in engines is bore glazing. In fact a clean bore which beds well with the piston rings gives better compression and oil control than a glazed bore.