Ostende and red diesel - BEWARE

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Re: Ambassador's reponse to CA

I'm not clear about the CA's position on this, but I would say that the RYA's pressure to retain red diesel coupled with the 60/40 split has resulted in us wasting the opportunities to address the issues and seems likely to result in us effectively being banned from the whole of mainland Europe soon.

And I would agree with you but with the caveat that a great deal of the pressure has actually come from the inland waterways organisations rather than the RYA (albeit true that the RYA fully supported the lead taken by the likes of the IWA and NABO but they weren't the prime movers)

Tin Tin

Visit site

And I would agree with you but with the caveat that a great deal of the pressure has actually come from the inland waterways organisations rather than the RYA (albeit true that the RYA fully supported the lead taken by the likes of the IWA and NABO but they weren't the prime movers)

Let us not forget the BMF who have actively campaigned - on behalf of the marina operators - for the retention of red diesel.
The argument was that cleaning their diesel tank was an unnecessary expense for marina operators.
When was cleaning fuel tanks ever an 'unnecessary expense'?

When our boat was still based in Britain, diesel bug was common. I always had Marine 16 on board.
We've now been based in France for 4 years, never had any diesel bug problem with my white (FAME) diesel.

Bav34

Visit site

L

When our boat was still based in Britain, diesel bug was common. I always had Marine 16 on board.
We've now been based in France for 4 years, never had any diesel bug problem with my white (FAME) diesel.

Interesting.

We saw two French boats where we knew the owners who were towed in this year due to fuel bug, and another passage making boat was also towed in.

An overnight shock treatment of bug treatment seemed beneficial as the diesel pumped out by the Volvo mechanic looked much better than the diesel sample taken from the filters.

Enough products here to say they have the problem too:

http://www.bigship.com/catalogue/en...tretien-moteur/star-brite-star-tron-diesel-1l

http://www.accastillage-diffusion.co.uk/catalog/125-ml,58462.html

Cantata

Visit site

I have been querying this for years but never had an answer. Certainly when I looked in a chandlery in France this year there was a large choice of different fuel treatment products on the shelf, most of them very much cheaper than those on offer in UK.

Daydream believer

Visit site

The Eu Meeting was supposed to be on the 18th Sept - any news on the outcome?

Weather permitting, I have organised a small club cruise in company to Ostend on the 28 Sept 2017 for 4 days
I do not expect any changes to have filtered down yet. I will have a chat to customs officers if I get the chance.

XTE

Visit site

The following is the latest from the Cruising Association

Following a spate of fines imposed without notice by Belgian customs this summer on UK registered boats carrying red marked diesel, a meeting was held on September 18th to unify EU members' approach. Belgium announced a suspension of its controls in advance of these discussions.

As a result, the Belgian Ministry of Finance has now announced that controls on foreign leisure craft carrying red diesel remain suspended until further notice, the position adopted until now by other members of the Union.

No reports of fines have been received for a number of weeks and there is room for cautious optimism pro tem. The operative term remains "suspended" because the Commission has in no way relented from its position that even if full tax has been paid on red marked diesel carried in small craft, the use of this fuel complicates members countries from overseeing EU regulations that non-commercial craft may not use marked diesel at all.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site

I know it’s a late follow on, but while I was servicing the engine today I started mulling over the idea that this is just a suspension of hostilities.
Are there any plans by East Coast marine diesel suppliers to start a white diesel pump? Not Ramsgate, I understand they do it already, but further North.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk

We very nearly lost it at Southwold, this year as there were very few takers and at one point they were selling it as red as that tank was empty.
Lucky enough at that time we had an influx of Dutch yachts so they bought another 2000 lts of white.

Billy Blue

Visit site

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM

http://www.ybw.com/news-from-yachting-boating-world/uk-sailor-fined-for-red-diesel-in-belgium-55746
No fines for use of red diesel in UK vessels visiting Belgium
"However, 100% fuel duty must still be paid on all red diesel which is purchased before a trip to Belgium. "

Just to clarify, am I right in assuming this means that the receipts must show 100% propulsion and no split at all propulsion/heating?

That's how I read it, which means it's still nigh on useless as a 'concession' to those of us who have split invoices (as allowed in the UK) even if we genuinely use it for domestic. WE have the added issues that we don't fill up every year (1600 litres in a motorsailer!!) so may not have the right date on the invoice. Still avoiding Belgium as it's too risky until they are more sensible about things.... i.e. you are ok as long as you have paid the correct duty in the country of purchase.....

Momac

Visit site
How much diesel are you required to have a receipt for at 100% duty? If you have a diesel car and save vat receipts over a few months would that do the trick?

Biggles Wader

Visit site
How much diesel are you required to have a receipt for at 100% duty? If you have a diesel car and save vat receipts over a few months would that do the trick?

I wonder what they would make of a recent receipt for 50 litres of DERV from Watford Gap services?:cool:
I use white from the local garage bought in a jerrycan but I only buy about twenty litres a year and must have some traces of red still in the tank from ages ago. I don't have any paperwork for any of it.
Ive not heard that those people who were fined last year got their money back. I wont be visiting Belgium.

Momac

Visit site
Not if you were using red fuel in the tank. I would imagine it would be seen as a deliberate attempt to deceive & more likely to attract a fine
If there is red diesel in the tank the unmarked diesel added to the red will immediately be stained red . I don't see how they know whether you had added some unmarked diesel in or not ?