Orca attack

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know
Wonderful. Now you can get an App and become an Orca stalker..:ROFLMAO:
I know nothing about this app , it could just be another crappy app but if it was useful to cruiser to locate where the orcas where at any time helping skippers to reroute their trip it would be very helpful but before that happen the curpit orcas need to be tagged .
to Many here who read thsee posting the thread of having your rudder ripped or possibly losing your boat even your life is milion miles away a joke to some but to them who have to sail tho seas it’s a real danger and very stress full.
i glade I done my times sailing in tho areas when Orcas was a joy to see and watch swimming around the boat.

Seven Spades

Visit site
If you are going to be traveling in this area there is a resource where they are tracking the Orcas and there is lots of advice. I have just traveled from The med to Lisborn without incident largly due to the accurate information about he orcas locations. There is a website call orcas.pt - Orcas / Sailing boats in Portugal and Spain

You have to register there. Then they send you a link to download "telegram" having installed Telegram on your mobile devices you are sent links to 4 closed groups which you must join.

One of the moderators of the group is working for the government who have tagged three groups of Orcas and so knows their locations. He does not publish live data in order that they are not hunted but provides enough data to let you know how to protect yourself. Recently they have been operating off Barbate and the stratergy is to hug the coast betweek Cadiz and Gibralter. Go inside all the tuna nets except Tarifa which has a line ashore. Keep inshore at Trafalgar go as close to the corner as possible, do not approach from offshore. If you are coming from off shore head to cadiz and then hug the shore.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If you are going to be traveling in this area there is a resource where they are tracking the Orcas and there is lots of advice. I have just traveled from The med to Lisborn without incident largly due to the accurate information about he orcas locations. There is a website call orcas.pt - Orcas / Sailing boats in Portugal and Spain

You have to register there. Then they send you a link to download "telegram" having installed Telegram on your mobile devices you are sent links to 4 closed groups which you must join.

One of the moderators of the group is working for the government who have tagged three groups of Orcas and so knows their locations. He does not publish live data in order that they are not hunted but provides enough data to let you know how to protect yourself. Recently they have been operating off Barbate and the stratergy is to hug the coast betweek Cadiz and Gibralter. Go inside all the tuna nets except Tarifa which has a line ashore. Keep inshore at Trafalgar go as close to the corner as possible, do not approach from offshore. If you are coming from off shore head to cadiz and then hug the shore.
It’s looking like a step in the right direction.
let hope it’s more useful .

JVL

Visit site

I’m on the Algarve at the moment. Speaking with local live aboard friends who cruise the length of the Algarve under sail ( work) I can confirm that the above is there goto to avoid Orca interaction.

cherod

Visit site
Let us all pause from the hysteria for a moment and remember the very learned and distinguished gentleman Roger Payne who passed recently . I am sure that he would have been horrified reading some of your posts , RIP that great gentleman .

Laser310

Visit site
says here theres been no documented attacks on humans by orcas in the wild, so orcas just hate rudders

Best places to swim or dive with Orcas

that claim has been mad for some time about orcas and it might be true.

but one shouldn't rely on activist animal protectors for truth in these matters. They have a goal - often a worthy one - and the goal is always more important than the truth.

I have read publications by people advocating for the reintroduction of wolves claiming that there were no documented cases of wolves killing humans.

now, you may be for or against reintroduction of wolves, but this was clearly false.

and now, recently, there have been a few well documented cases of wolves killing people.

I probably wouldn't want to be in the water with an Orca that hadn't eaten for a while...