Orca attack

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Just been chatting to a Dutch couple who are launching this afternoon. They have a high frequency transmitter of the type used to scare dolphins and orcas away from fishing nets. Self contained unit with internal batteries, which can be towed with a plastic trawl to keep it submerged. Evidently, fishermen report 75% reduction in attacks.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I thought they said 1800 kg?
You are quite right. I listened again more carefully and also turned on subtitles because of the background noise. The lady clearly says 1,000 and then pauses for a second. The guy says "800 kilos" and she replies "800 ... kilos" and he says yeah, "6 metres long". I thought she meant 1,000 and he corrected her to 800. It does now sound as if she was just thinking "what's English for 800" after saying the 1,000 part. So probably 1,800 kg.

I think 6m is a little under average size but weight well below an adult.

steveallan

Visit site
Fishtecmarine sell the pingers for £75 each.
Minimum order 5 off with delivery to Spain / Portugal @ £30 lead time up to 10 days.
They recommend you buy 3 off and deploy 1 each side at 5 metre depth leaving 1 spare.
I only wish to purchase 2 off.
So if anyone wishes to share an order with me I could place the order and would be willing to deliver to anywhere on the Algarve.
Alternatively if anyone has some available and would be interested in buying 2.

Kelpie

Visit site
Possibly to inform people planning to traverse those waters in the next few days.

- W
Exactly. Those wishing to know more detail can easily look it up.
The reason this thread was made a sticky was to help people keep track of where the attacks are happening.

Travelling Westerly

Visit site
Fishtecmarine sell the pingers for £75 each.
Minimum order 5 off with delivery to Spain / Portugal @ £30 lead time up to 10 days.
They recommend you buy 3 off and deploy 1 each side at 5 metre depth leaving 1 spare.
I only wish to purchase 2 off.
So if anyone wishes to share an order with me I could place the order and would be willing to deliver to anywhere on the Algarve.
Alternatively if anyone has some available and would be interested in buying 2.
Do these pingers work? Any evidence? Would be great if they did but to buy 5 is bit expensive for a punt. How are they kept submerged during sailing?