Orca attack

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com

Lightwave395

Visit site
They're moving North now - in the SE corner of Biscay:

Orca interaction / attack 20nm north of Zumaia between San Sebastian and Bilbao.
Translation : In the last few hours, two attacks by a group of orcas on sailboats have been reported in the waters of the Bay of Biscay, a few miles from the Basque coast. The first incident took place on Saturday about 20 miles north of Zumaia when a group of five killer whales hit the rudder and the hull of a sailboat, which fortunately did not register significant damage and was able to continue sailing until it reached the port of Mutriku. Once there they verified that the incident did not cause any breakage, just a few scratches.
Article. https://www.deia.eus/bizkaia/2023/08/14/grupo-orcas-golpea-veleros-cerca...

Frogmogman

Visit site
FWIW, I’m with a friend at the moment who is a crew on a 32m Royal Huisman aluminium sailing yacht. She tells me that on their way out of the Med last year they were attacked by orcas, but their alloy rudder proved too tough for them to chew up. They nudged the boat for a while, sails down and engine off until the orcas lost interest quite quickly. The boat was slipped to inspect for damage, but none of any significance.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
FWIW, I’m with a friend at the moment who is a crew on a 32m Royal Huisman aluminium sailing yacht. She tells me that on their way out of the Med last year they were attacked by orcas, but their alloy rudder proved too tough for them to chew up. They nudged the boat for a while, sails down and engine off until the orcas lost interest quite quickly. The boat was slipped to inspect for damage, but none of any significance.

To me this confirms that a metal (aluminium of steel rudders) would survive an Orca attack.

Even on a GRP boat a aluminium of steel rudder would survive better than a GRP rudder plus water inclusion if the rudder is correctly constructed corrected

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Sheathing rudders with stainless was discussed a while back,don’t remember the opinion on that
Te issue there is water getting between the stainless keel and the wood

This is my steel rudder which is hollow and r\presser tested it is also a airfoil shape for best lift efficiency

This shows the internal structure of a stainless steel rudder I made formy self steering gear, Again hollow and pressure tested after fabrication

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Interesting but not really relevant to most. A 32m boat whether made of GRP or Al or any other material will have a rudder stock much stronger than your average cruising boat so less likely to be bent. Look at many of the rudders which have been damaged and it's not just the rudder ripped but the stock bent.

Zing

Visit site
Interesting but not really relevant to most. A 32m boat whether made of GRP or Al or any other material will have a rudder stock much stronger than your average cruising boat so less likely to be bent. Look at many of the rudders which have been damaged and it's not just the rudder ripped but the stock bent.
Indeed. I don’t think large ships are troubled by all of this.

Sailfree

Visit site
Posting from phone so can't do link but in yesterday's e mail from Smithsonian Institute there was a study on Orcas behaviour and passing it between pods. It mentions an activity of swimming with a dead fish on their nose that got taken up by other pods. It also discusses the current activity of biting rudders.

Best if you read the informative scientific article yourself. If someone can post a link it would be helpful.

Zing

Visit site
pingers have been widely tried and shown to be ineffective. Firecrakers work. Lots of info on the Facebook pages. Including orca wearing fish.
Thanks. It seems so. I tried to buy some in the UK just now. I discovered they are banned! We had so much fun with them as kids.

Wansworth

Visit site
The Darwin theory is circumvented by laws so nobody developes common sense,in the all protecting state the downside is the state controls……unless your like the Spanish who sort of circumvent state laws😂

awol

Visit site
The Darwin theory is circumvented by laws so nobody developes common sense,in the all protecting state the downside is the state controls……unless your like the Spanish who sort of circumvent state laws😂
bulkpyrosupplies.co.uk seem to have a range of devices. No idea if the fuses work under water and I am not advocating their use, just an idle Google search.