Orca attack

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
But you would have to buy a boat first.
Been there worn that T shirt, now at 74 after some careful consideration over the last two years and supported by the fact that I live about 1000km from the nearest water I would care to sail in I have almost certainly given up boat ownership and sailing. But with a long time of sailing on various boats I still have something to contribute albeit occasionally contentious to tongue in cheek.

zoidberg

Visit site
I claim no bril insight... but I do suggest there is something about some rudders, and rudders' interactions with the water, which attracts this attention.
Permit me to outline what's brought on this 'great leap of intuition'.

Several years ago I left Baltimore, Co. Cork, under sail. About a mile out, I was joined by a pod of large dolphins. Nothing unusual so far. but what was most unusual was that they were fascinated by my windvane 'in water' blade. They all crowded, shoulder to shoulder and pushing, to get really close to this white-painted appendage. The largest of them stayed, almost glued, within a few inches of the ply blade as it swayed from side to side. From time to time this big beasty would roll and stare up at me staring back down at him/her. Very aware...

I was, of course, concerned they would do some damage. That didn't happen, and after about half an hour or so, they pushed off.

Now, orcas are close cousins to my Atlantic white-sided dolphin friends. and I've wondered long about why they were so interested in my Seafeather windvane water blade..... and not in my rudder, much deeper.

I'll offer the hypothesis that what interested them was the nature of the vibrations given off by the blade's passage through the water - a presumed unusual occurence in the world they inhabit. I'm also aware that various structures - cables, wings, rudder blades - shed vortices.

'In fluid dynamics, these are called a Kármán vortex street which is a repeating pattern of swirling vortices, caused by a process known as vortex shedding, which is responsible for the unsteady separation of flow of a fluid around blunt bodies.'

It is known, but not deeply understood, that dolphins, orcas and other fishy creatures perceive the world around them, in differing depth of detail, by sensing patterns of subtle pressure change and a complex of 'returns' from their clicks-sonar. So also do whales and, clumsily, submarines. I'm positing that vibrations aka 'Karman vortex streets' streaming from certain rudders cause vibrations that 'seem' similar to food items. Hence, the orcas try to eat them.

lusitano

Visit site
Today, Ocean Vibes in Faro, Portugal, encountered orcas from the Atlantic sub-population.
Message from Ocean Vibes' post, Faro, Portugal, Saturday, June 15, 2024
👇

The pod of Iberian Orcas was seen feeding on their favourite prey: Tuna! The foraging occurred at very shallow waters, at some point at 20 meters deep
🐟

🤯
This family included one of the biggest (2nd biggest?) orcas of Portugal & Spain known as “Levi” (which might still be growing, and one day perhaps surpass the big Pingu - that also visits the area every year )
🤯

⚠️
WARNING TO SAILORS: This pod is slowly moving West over the last days. We recommend to AVOID the area between Faro beach and Albufeira tomorrow. As of Faro-Olhão area itself, we kindly remind everyone that contrary to other parts of the Peninsula, the orcas tend to pass VERY close to shore here
⚠️

❗️
2 sail boats reported an interaction this morning, before our sighting with the same pod, and one of them having collateral damage. The animals DID NOT show any interest in our RIB boat nor any recreational or fishing vessel in the area. The “targets” at the moment seem to be sailboats & their rudders only
❗️

📸
Photo Credits: @alexinwaterlust
Click on the link to see the original post with more photos.
👇

https://www.facebook.com/oceanvibesalgarve/posts/991709432960848