Orca attack

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Seven Spades

Visit site
If you are going along the coast of Portugal hug the coast and stay within the 20m contour. If you are approaching from offshore do not enter the Straights of Gibraltar instead go to Cadiz and then follow the coast. Yes it is a big diversion but if you do this you are very unlikely to be attacked.

If you can carry sand and pour it over the stern if approached and turn towards the shallows at high speed. The Orcas do not like sand it confuses them, the theory is that they think they are in shallow water.

nortada

Visit site
If you are going along the coast of Portugal hug the coast and stay within the 20m contour. If you are approaching from offshore do not enter the Straights of Gibraltar instead go to Cadiz and then follow the coast. Yes it is a big diversion but if you do this you are very unlikely to be attacked.

If you can carry sand and pour it over the stern if approached and turn towards the shallows at high speed. The Orcas do not like sand it confuses them, the theory is that they think they are in shallow water.
Orcas beach themselves in the South Atlantic to catch seals so suspect they are not too worried about shallow water.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Orcas beach themselves in the South Atlantic to catch seals so suspect they are not too worried about shallow water.
I think the suggestion is based on the route the Tuna follow which is in the deeper waters and the Orca follow them so don't visit the shallower waters that often.

Rum Run

Visit site
Snip
If I was on a boat being attacked by orca it would not be sand pouring into the water 💩

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
There are all manner of ideas for avoiding the orcas. Ultimately, I think it's just the luck-of-the-drawer.

I've been up/down the Atlantic coast and in/out of the Straits about 12 times over the last 4 years in a variety of sailing boats and I've yet to even see an orca. Many dolphins, Pilot whales, Minke whales and even some Fin whales, but never an Orca. I carry a pair of pingers but they've yet to even go in the water.

I think it's important for anyone intending to sail that coast to remember that the chances of being attacked, though real, are slim indeed. Be alert for sure, but don't let yourself become overly anxious or fall prey to the myriad ideas for avoidance. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen - but, in reality, it probably won't.

Zing

Visit site
There are all manner of ideas for avoiding the orcas. Ultimately, I think it's just the luck-of-the-drawer.

I've been up/down the Atlantic coast and in/out of the Straits about 12 times over the last 4 years in a variety of sailing boats and I've yet to even see an orca. Many dolphins, Pilot whales, Minke whales and even some Fin whales, but never an Orca. I carry a pair of pingers but they've yet to even go in the water.

I think it's important for anyone intending to sail that coast to remember that the chances of being attacked, though real, are slim indeed. Be alert for sure, but don't let yourself become overly anxious or fall prey to the myriad ideas for avoidance. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen - but, in reality, it probably won't.
I can tell you, no bloody Orca is going to bite off my very expensive rudders, which are not insured. I'm taking this threat as seriously as a Ukranian might when looking at Russia.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I can tell you, no bloody Orca is going to bite off my very expensive rudders, which are not insured. I'm taking this threat as seriously as a Ukranian might when looking at Russia.
Short of mounting a couple of harpoon guns on your vessel there is no certain way of deterring an orca.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
I'm not suggesting the threat isn't taken seriously. I'm saying that, statistically, it's unlikely to happen. Ultimately, if an orca wants to bite off your rudder, then there's very little you can do to prevent it, so you should have a chat with your insurance company.

If you were attacked then how would you stop it? If you hurt one of the animals how might that end? Let's remember they could sink our boats in the blink of an eye if they actually wanted to.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Is that a serious suggestion?
Could be if you had a big enough boat and could get hold of them. I would work on the basis of if they left me alone I would leave them alone but if they decided to attack my boat then I would use whatever means I had to stop them including killing them. Much the same as I would a knife wielding idiot that tried to stab me in the street. It would be a matter of self preservation.

Major_Clanger

Visit site
Could be if you had a big enough boat and could get hold of them. I would work on the basis of if they left me alone I would leave them alone but if they decided to attack my boat then I would use whatever means I had to stop them including killing them. Much the same as I would a knife wielding idiot that tried to stab me in the street. It would be a matter of self preservation.
What an appalling course of action to consider. There is no analogy with some goon with a knife; orcas are social groups. You kill one of them and what do you think will happen to your boat? They might decide that instead of chewing at the rudder, they'll sink your boat instead. They're intelligent animals, they might well connect you with the death of their mate and once you're in the water how do you think that will end?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
What an appalling course of action to consider. There is no analogy with some goon with a knife; orcas are social groups. You kill one of them and what do you think will happen to your boat? They might decide that instead of chewing at the rudder, they'll sink your boat instead. They're intelligent animals, they might well connect you with the death of their mate and once you're in the water how do you think that will end?
I would take my chances especially if I had several exploding tipped harpoons. But for what it's worth the chances of being able to equip a yacht with harpoon guns is zero or as close as makes no difference so my preferred course of action would be to stay in shallow waters and carry a good number of the biggest firecrackers / bangers that I could find which I would weight and lob into the water should I see an Orca in the near vicinity.