Opening a UK bank account as a foreigner

Normanby

Visit site
I've just arrived in the UK, bought a boat, and i'm preparing to spend the coming summer wandering around Europe.
I flew here with a whole bunch of cash (GBP notes) and thought i'd open a UK bank account and perhaps later another account in a favourable country in Europe.
But i've been knocked back at two UK banks so far;
Lloyds didn't like the stamp in my passport that is too light to show how long i'm allowed to stay, and
Barclays want proof of a fixed address. I'm 'care of' a Cornish marina for now, but obviously plan to be of no fixed address.
So i'd be grateful for info on the best place to put my cash so that i'm not carrying it around with me, and so that i can spend it online and in Europe.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For the Europe one I suggest ABNAmro in Holland. I have a Euro account with them, they have an English language version of their website and everything works smoothly. We can withdraw Euros at any ATM in Europe without charges or commission.

charles_reed

Visit site
I've just arrived in the UK, bought a boat, and i'm preparing to spend the coming summer wandering around Europe.
I flew here with a whole bunch of cash (GBP notes) and thought i'd open a UK bank account and perhaps later another account in a favourable country in Europe.
But i've been knocked back at two UK banks so far;
Lloyds didn't like the stamp in my passport that is too light to show how long i'm allowed to stay, and
Barclays want proof of a fixed address. I'm 'care of' a Cornish marina for now, but obviously plan to be of no fixed address.

So i'd be grateful for info on the best place to put my cash so that i'm not carrying it around with me, and so that i can spend it online and in Europe.

Looks as though you're running into the EC regulations against money laundering.
You'll need 3 pieces of evidence:-

1. of identity - passport will do.
2. of permanent address - usually an utilities bill or council tax notice.
3. alternate identity proof - signed driving licence with photograph will do.

It appears you have only one - some banks will accept a long-term contract with a marina (even a Cornish one will do) instead of the #2
I fear, wherever you go in Europe you'll find the same demands on you.

macd

Visit site
I've no idea of the precise letter of the EU regs, Charles, but they are certainly interpreted in different ways...between branches, banks and countries. I've found no difficulty opening two accounts with different banks in Spain (with no marina contract), and the experiences of posters in the link in my post #2 certainly supports shopping around in the UK. Evidence of address, in particular, seems to be interpreted more-or-less flexibly.

GrahamM376

Visit site
A Portuguese nephew went to work in UK, living in accommodation where the landlord paid rates, gas, elec etc. Had a hell of a job opening a bank aaccount without utility bills and IIRC Lloyds were the only ones who would accommodate but no credit card or cheque book for 12 months until established. His employer also had to confirm work address.

Sinbad1951

Visit site
Get your Ozzie bank to transfer a few hundred dollars to a receiving bank in the uk. They will have a reciprocating bank here which will receive the money. That receiving bank should set up an account for you. Even for an Australian!

macd

Visit site
Far from the identity and other documents being prescribed, as Charles and others suggest, there seems to be considerable legal latitude. In fact the relatively short list of documents banks often seem to stipulate seems to be as much about their convenience as the letter of the regulations.

This from Citizen Advice website:
You will...have to provide proof of your identity including your full name, date of birth and address. You usually have to show the bank two separate documents that prove who you are, for example, your passport, and where you live, for example, a recent bill. If you don't have any of the documents that the bank wants, they should accept a letter from a responsible person who knows you, such as a GP, teacher, social worker or probation officer.

This would seem to give a bank/branch some flexibility in the way it determines identity.

However, the advice goes on to state this:
A bank or building society can refuse to open an account for you. They don't have to give you a reason, and there's usually nothing you can do about it.

Then there's this from the FSA (which one would expect to be fairly authoritative): https://www.fca.org.uk/static/fca/documents/fsa-know-your-rights-guide.pdf
It describes considerable flexibility in documents proving identity and address. Along the way it also says that even a homeless person is not barred from opening an account.

wazza

Visit site
I tell you, I'm an ex-pat and I had a bloody hard time changing my bank account to one with better rates let alone opening a new one as a foreigner... Left it as was in the end... Red tape arrrgggg..

V1701

Visit site
What about those prepay debit/credit cards? They only work if you are in credit. Can't remember the names of them off hand, think Post Office have one amongst others. Most banks also have basic accounts that they don't publicise but maybe still have to provide same ID docs?

Normanby

Visit site
I'll try Nationwide and see how i go.
I have passport, driver's licence and an invoice from the marina.
I emailed a couple of the currency card companies, both of whom said they had no facility to accept cash - they only service UK bank account holders.
I spoke to both my Aussie banks before i left, asking about reciprocal arrangements, and got the "compu'er says no...".
One of my banks, ING, is Dutch, and i asked them "surely, i can easily get myself an ING Europe account", but they said no.
'Global' in name only. Even PayPal says that if i have moved i have to cancel my AU account and open a new one. Sure, the AU one works, but it's impossible to stipulate a non-AU address.
I'm told by a banking industry bloke in AU that the AU regulations are particularly restrictive, and force international banks to create a stand-alone AU banking entity. HSBC AU told me the same thing; they have one global banking entity, but have to have a stand-alone entity in Oz.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Co-operative Bank may be able to help - it is part of their 'ethic' to provide banking services to those outside the mainstream system.

If they prove awkward with a conventional account, persevere and ask about a 'Basic' account. These are for those who do not qualify for full banking. You will not get a cheque book (who writes cheques these days?) a credit card or an overdraft, but you should get a debit card and internet and phone banking.

JVL

Visit site
Went through this nonsense last year with a friend he's is Danish tried all the majors, some jumped through hoops once they realised he is a major player in Scandinavia result zero. He rang a friend who happens to be the chairman of a Swedish bank, sorted. Dutch or French banks will help forget the uk only proper crims can open an account here?

Normanby

Visit site
Went to two more banks and building societies today in Plymouth and got the same rigmarole - without proof of a permanent address (who want's a permanent address?!) they won't even let me have a 'basic' account. Which is all i want.
I even went to the Post Office and got the brochure for "Post Office Money" - but there is a limit there too. If you want to load the card up with more than 750 GBP you have to do the proof of permanent address thing.
One of my Aussie accounts is with the Commonwealth, and they appear to have a 'branch' in London. I'll email them and see what i can find out. I'm cautiously pessimistic though, it was their pathetic exchange rates and high fees that prompted me, in a fit of pique, to draw out a bunch of cash and change it to GBP at a shopfront Exchange joint, where i got a whole 4% better rate and no fee. Makes a big difference when changing $30k or so (about $1,200).
Maybe i will go have a short holiday in Holland - is it any warmer there?