Opening a UK bank account as a foreigner

Cloven

Visit site
What kind of "proof of living at that address" did they accept?

If I remember correctly, they wanted sight of a utility bill. I just download one as our utility bills are all available on line. Otherwise I would have had to wait until I had been back to the UK. Point I was trying to make is that the account is linked to my home address (UK) which is not the country that the account is based - France.

Normanby

Visit site
If I remember correctly, they wanted sight of a utility bill. I just download one as our utility bills are all available on line. Otherwise I would have had to wait until I had been back to the UK. Point I was trying to make is that the account is linked to my home address (UK) which is not the country that the account is based - France.
I see. Thanks anyway.

hartcjhart

Visit site
from metro site

NON UK, EEA OR SWISS NATIONAL:
Proof of identity x 1
Valid passport
Proof of right to reside x 1
Your current Visa (with at least six months left on it).
Proof of address x 2
In case we’re unable to verify your name and address electronically, it would be useful to have
two types of address verification
handy

worth a telephone call to them to ask their opinion

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Tried an Isle of Man account? Mum, lives in Sydney opened one there with natwest I think. She does have a UK Passport though.

I went through a similar problem when I moved to the UK. No account, no lease, no address, no account, etc, even though I had a full time academic job....

macd

Visit site
Tried an Isle of Man account? Mum, lives in Sydney opened one there with natwest I think. She does have a UK Passport though.

I went through a similar problem when I moved to the UK. No account, no lease, no address, no account, etc, even though I had a full time academic job....

Worth a try if it were somewhat nearer the West Country, but the hoops are much the same on the Island as they are 'Across'.

Normanby

Visit site
from metro site

NON UK, EEA OR SWISS NATIONAL:
Proof of identity x 1
Valid passport
Proof of right to reside x 1
Your current Visa (with at least six months left on it).
Proof of address x 2
In case we’re unable to verify your name and address electronically, it would be useful to have
two types of address verification
handy

worth a telephone call to them to ask their opinion
Done, and got the same answer - no proof of a UK address? No account.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I know the thread as been dormant for a while but ...

I was on the Isle of Man recently and notice that the Standard Bank (it's African) in Douglas advertises accounts in sterling, euros and Australian dollars. I gather the OP is (or maybe was) Australian, in which case it might be worth investigating that possibility.