Onwa KP-39A Class B AIS and Chartplotter

Visit site
Hope this may assist anyone who has bought or is thinking about buying one of these.

I purchased this recently and have just finished installing it. It’s really very easy to install - connect the power, plug in the GPS “puck”/aerial and plug in a VHf aerial. Then connect to a DSC VHF (see below.)

Power on, and it found its position within 30 seconds. I have mine fitted at the chart table, flush mounted. I wasn’t sure how sensitive the GPS would be, but I just placed it on top of the unit as recommended (it has a simple magnetic area on top, and the GPS puck just sits there) and it seems to work fine.

Connecting to a VHF. The connection was straightforward - I connected the NMEA0183 outputs to the VHF GPS inputs. So far so good ... but no signal received by the VHF. An hour of Googling and messing about ... you have to set the plotter up so that it’s NMEA GPS outputs are enabled. The Onwa manual (available online ) tells you how to do it. Then you need to set the baud rate too (for my unit, it needed setting to 4800.) So, when these two steps were completed, it then worked fine.

As this isn’t clear from the either the GPS instructions or in the VHF manual, hopefully this may assist anyone else buying this unit.

One could debate all day long whether a “cheapo” Onwa unit is worthwhile or whether it’s better to shell out for a B&G or other brand. From my experience to date, the Onwa is phenomenally good value - for its price (around £550) it gives a 7” colour chart plotter, UK and Northern European charts (their own “K Charts”), Class A AIS (receiver), Class B AIS (transmitter) and it interfaces with a DSC VHF. For my purposes, it does everything I need. It includes a mounting bracket, or can be flush mounted. It included the data cable too.

Hope this may be of use to anyone installing, or thinking about buying, this unit.

No connection to Onwa or the distributors. I bought mine from Mantsbrite in Maldon, and their service was excellent - they have lots of different navigation equipment for sale and it is all rigged up so I could see the unit running, have a demo and the chap who runs it explained how to use it and how to wire it up etc. It’s increasingly rare to find sellers that you can go and speak to(!) and see things working, so well done Mantsbrite, your good service is much appreciated.

superheat6k

Visit site
The Onwa website provides a good deal more support downloads than Matsutec provide. I did try to download the Onwa K charts but with the Matsutec software they wouldn't work.

Did you get details provided on setting up own vessel data ? This is omitted from the manuals. I have the procedure for the Matsutec and I expect it will be the same for the Onwa.

EDIT: I notice the Onwa Support page does have a separate download manual for own vessel AIS setup.

When using the AIS mode does the other ship data still display the Irish tricolour flag against UK vessels on is there now a Union flag ?

I might try a download of the current Onwa firmware and then see if the K charts will work. CMAP is excellent detail, but limited service area on the cards.

Last edited:

jwilson

Visit site
Agree.
Mine is a long way from a compass and the magnet provides a simple solution to mounting the gps puck.

Glad I didn't buy one then for the binnacle pod mounting: I looked at them online last year as an option but went B&G instead despite higher price.

jwilson

Visit site
The B&G Zeus3 has a magnet too - it holds the lid for the card slot closed :p

Next time I dismantle the binnacle housing cover I'll look at my B&G Vulcan 7. I fitted it after checking that moving it around near the desired position (about 40cm from the compass) did not deflect the compass needle, either with power on or off. Boat was ashore at the time so could only check on that heading, but confirmed later once launched with a check on 90 degree cross-heading with handbearing compass well clear. Hopefully if there is a magnet on the card slot cover it's not very powerful. As most modern production boats will have a plotter close to the compass, right in front of the wheel, putting any magnets in them seems just plain wrong.

andsarkit

Visit site
I have also just got an ONWA KP39A but from AVES marine where it was slightly cheaper. I provided my vessel details and Alan did all the setting up for me before delivery. Excellent serevice from AVES.
The GPS puck has the magnet in the puck not on the plotter. It is easy enough to move it to a new position a metre or so away from the plotter and either use the magnet or stick it down.
I had some concerns over this and bought an almost identical puck from CPC to have a spare. https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=gps antenna. This still has a weaker magnet but I'm sure you can find one without a magnet and stick it on the plotter.

Kelpie

Visit site
Likewise. I know one forumite has not been impressed with his ONWA, but other reports are more favourable.

tillergirl

Visit site
I am a fan of the Onwa - so much so I have bought a second unit - the first was so popular it was stolen! Aves are excellent srvice and indeed Onwa have provided some excellent information, promptly and clear.

Rappey

Visit site
Had mine about two years now.. what i really like are the free charts with the option of also using cmap or navionics.

Whiterose

Visit site
I bought bought anONWA from AVES marine last year ..and Alan was excellent so is the Unit ..had no problem getting up and going and great service from AVES