B&G v60b antenna question

mrangry

Visit site
I have just purchased a B&G v60b online as I was on the market for an ais transceiver and a new vhf set. Am I right in thinking this unit requires two antennas, one for vhf and the other for ais?

If a second antenna is required for the ais (current vhf antenna on mast top) would it be acceptable to mount it say the solar arch at the stern at just over 2m above the water, or is there somewhere else better suited?

SY Amalie

Visit site
Yes, you need two antennas, maybe it will work with a splitter. I have mounted my AIS antenna on the pushpit and it works fine. The signals will not be as widely transmitted or recieved as it would be if mounted on top of the mast though.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
yes two or a splitter. I was amazed that it doesn't have a built in splitter! Luckily I realised before I bought one and got a standalone AIS with built in splitter for much cheaper.

lustyd

Visit site
I have the v60b and mounted an antenna on the transom. It was fine but I eventually just bought a splitter for better AIS range and also to (massively) improve FM radio reception. I still have the transom antenna as a spare or emergency but only use masthead one now.

lustyd

Visit site
Also if you have the remote mic mount it facing you or get a speaker as well. they are not loud as they’re designed for active calling rather than general listening.