One for the sailors !

Seastoke

Visit site
Sorry I don’t know what the rope is called , the one that goes to the top the mast, well one of them. Why do peeps let it rattle against the mast when it is windy. Is it bad seamanship.
Why are asking me I use diesel.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It is usually a halyard (could be one of several of those, or something else).

Some people take little or no care to stop them rattling, but it is sometimes quite challenging to stop them doing it at all without rigging up a cat's cradle of supplementary lines to keep it away from the mast.

Sometimes you can rig it up such that there are no rattles at all, then the wind changes (or the boat turns on the tide) and it starts up.

This typically occurs just after you've settled for the night, or are just resettling after you've got out out of bed, dressed and been on deck to sort the previous mystery rattle start, or maybe when you're halfway on your journey home and your marina neighbour has just arrived at their boat.

johnalison

Visit site
In olden times the sound of slack rope halyards gently rapping against the wooden mast was quite gentle and soothing but the noise from modern stuff against an alloy mast is irritating to all, not least to fellow-sailors who know that it should be dealt with. I have been known to provide a quietening service to boats with absent crews, and the tangle I leave behind is a wonder to behold, though there are situations when it can be hard to achieve silence. The only truly effective way is to take the offending line to the side of the boat well away from the mast, but occasionally the only answer is to slacken the line and allow it to tap occasionally rather than in a rapid rhythmic fashion.

Seastoke

Visit site
Simply to annoy you personally
I take this as a joke , with you being an angry solo sailer , you are one of the type who don’t wave to all boaters , believe you have right of way when you are not at sail. And use your moped on a motorway.

Seastoke

Visit site
It is usually a halyard (could be one of several of those, or something else).

Some people take little or no care to stop them rattling, but it is sometimes quite challenging to stop them doing it at all without rigging up a cat's cradle of supplementary lines to keep it away from the mast.

Sometimes you can rig it up such that there are no rattles at all, then the wind changes (or the boat turns on the tide) and it starts up.

This typically occurs just after you've settled for the night, or are just resettling after you've got out out of bed, dressed and been on deck to sort the previous mystery rattle start, or maybe when you're halfway on your journey home and your marina neighbour has just arrived at their boat.
Thank you ,now I understand it seems a challenge , actually I like them when at anchor it tells me we have not dragged.

Binnacle

Visit site
Hey Seasnake, does your boat have diesel particulate filters and use Adblue, or do you just inject the exhaust gases and particulates directly into the cooling water and then into the sea ?

Just asking for a friend, you understand.

38mess

Visit site
It's the same in our marina, I think the marina charges for the service of shutting these things up. When I had a yacht I used bungee cords wrapped around all halyards and stretched over to the handrail whenever I left the boat, I think it's a case of education, people don't realise until they are gently told.

Seastoke

Visit site
Hey Seasnake, does your boat have diesel particulate filters and use Adblue, or do you just inject the exhaust gases and particulates directly into the cooling water and then into the sea ?

Just asking for a friend, you understand.
Ok the answer is yes t both your questions. I am particular who. I speak to and yes I do drink, Blue nun on board. I hope this meets the sailing police.

billyfish

Visit site
I agree, bad seamanship, my advise is to keep some baler twine on board, go sort it yourself. My dad showed me this many years ago, would get so annoyed, jump in the dinghy row over tie it all up as tight as can be and sneek back. Quiet night followed. Now even better as its not hemp, very hard to untie 🤣🤣🤣

ylop

Visit site
Thank you ,now I understand it seems a challenge , actually I like them when at anchor it tells me we have not dragged.
Usually not as bad on anchor as the owner is (normally) on board to hear it and sort it, as well as neighbours being further away.

When I had a yacht I used bungee cords wrapped around all halyards and stretched over to the handrail whenever I left the boat, I think it's a case of education, people don't realise until they are gently told.

I also use bungees but have to confess to having forgotten (or forgotten to check the crew put them back on / back on so they actually work). If it’s calm when you leave the boat it’s easy to miss the fact that the spinny halyard which you didn’t even use today has been adjusted and now is going to clang when the wind picks up in a few days.

It is easily soluble without the effort of climbing on others boats to adjust their lines (I’ve no objection to people moving a halyard if it’s ratting, but I am sure some would be less happy) - you just get on your own boat, slip the lines and head for a quiet anchorage!