One for the chemists - how pure is water from a dehumidifier

superheat6k

Visit site
The dehumidifier I installed a couple of months ago is producing ~1/2 litre of water per day into the galley sink and over the side.

Now it has thoroughly flushed itself through is the water pure enough to use in my batteries ?

As an aside the ~ 130w power consumption plus the latest heat from the water produced is nicely adding a background warmth to an otherwise cold cabin, and is keeping the cabin temperature above freezing even on the coldest days. The that was forming previously mould has now all gone.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The output from a dehumidifier is in fact a condensate so is close to distilled but could pick up impurities in the process.

The battery top up water is specified as deionized water but my chenistory is not good enough to determine is deionized and distilled the same

VicS would know for sure

CrikeyChris

Visit site
I once made tea using water from my Meaco DD8L (dessicant) and it was undrinkable. A compressor type dehumidifier (as Roger points out) is probably producing pure water.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't, genuine battery water isn't exactly a fortune to buy @ £3 for 5L.
Distilled is just that - condensate from a distillation process; de-ionised comes in various types from ion exchange or reverse osmosis grade DI water (broadly the same a distilled) to much higher purity 18.2Mohm grade DI water which is passed through additional ion exchange- and related filters to better remove impurities (It tastes disgusting by the way).

ylop

Visit site
The output from a dehumidifier is in fact a condensate so is close to distilled but could pick up impurities in the process.
it will almost certainly pick up co2 from the air and form carbonic acid unless you capture it in a way that is not open to the air. It will have whatever fluff, dust, mould spores, paint fumes etc that are blowing round the cabin, quickly mixed in with it too - and potentially metal ions from any pipe work or surfaces it comes into contact with between condenser and bottle. Probably fine for a battery… but killing a battery is an expensive way to save a couple of quid on the right stuff.

The battery top up water is specified as deionized water but my chenistory is not good enough to determine is deionized and distilled the same
Deionized and distilled are not the same although for some purposes the product is interchangeable. Lab distilled water is often double distilled. Deionized water passes through either resin or reverse osmosis or both depending how pure you want it.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I tested water from a number of sources, including dehumidifiers, rain, Ac units, and tap. I compared them to ASTM and battery maker specs.

Obviously RO and DI water is good, but carefully collected rainwater and dehumidifier water met the specs (< 20 ppm TDS). AC water (70-85 ppm) and tap do not. Mostly, I use water from a home RO (<10 ppm), but don't use water from a seawater RO (no seawater RO can come close to meeting the chloride limit).

It's not always about the money. I've run out of water in remote areas where bottled distilled water wasn't an option.

Battery Water SpecificationsEngine Coolant Water SpecificationsTap Water
(typical range)
Trogan BatteriesExide BatteriesZVEI (German Electrical Trade Association)ASTM D3306
Contaminantppm unless otherwise statedppm unless otherwise stated
ColorClear and WhiteClear and WhiteClear and WhiteClear
Conductivity158 uS/cm **158 uS/cm **30 uS/cm79 uS/cm100-1000
pH5-75.5 - 8.56-8.5
Suspended MatterTraceTrace0-5
Total Dissolved Solids10010018 **50***60-600
Organic and Volatile Matter5050202-25
Ammonia8540
Antimony50.1
Arsenic0.50.1
Bismuth0.1
Calcium4020 *0.19 *25-300
Cadmium0.1
Chloride550.52510-200
Cobalt0.1
Copper50.10-0.5
Chromium0.1
Iron340.110-0.3
Lead00
Magnesium405 *0.13 *5-150
NickelNone Allowed0.1
Nitrate101020-5
Nitrite55
PlatinumNone Allowed0-0.2
Selenium20.1
Sulfate5020-250
Tin0.1
Zinc40-2

wonkywinch

Visit site
I direct our dehumidifier drain hose into a small bowl in the sink so I can check it's actually still working whenever I visit the boat.

Despite cleaning the (fairly course) air filter, the water always looks dirty brown where it's picking up impurities from the air.

The fish and oyster farm under the pontoon at Mercury can drink it.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I direct our dehumidifier drain hose into a small bowl in the sink so I can check it's actually still working whenever I visit the boat.

Despite cleaning the (fairly course) air filter, the water always looks dirty brown where it's picking up impurities from the air.

The fish and oyster farm under the pontoon at Mercury can drink it.
And this is why we test things. I tested several (no air filters) and the water was always crystal clear and the tanks unstained (compressor and Petlier types). Something is very different in your system.

B27

Visit site
The frost from the deep freeze at home is probably a lot cleaner?

I have a dehumidifier in my workshop, it collects fine dust and probably a bit of mould because it cycles on and off, so sometimes it's probably warm and damp?
D-water is very cheap in some shops

wonkywinch

Visit site
And this is why we test things. I tested several (no air filters) and the water was always crystal clear and the tanks unstained (compressor and Petlier types). Something is very different in your system.
The boat's not had much use so I'm guessing it's dust in the air that's passing the filter. Or, as it's brown, a rusty heat exchanger.

I see the UK based maker has a sale on and they are £200 at the moment using code FEB33. You can add a 5 year warranty for £45 which might be worthwhile for use in a more hostile environment.

2650e Dehumidifier | White Portable Home Dehumidifier

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I tested that several times. It did not pass, about like AC condensate (40-60 ppm TSS). Better than tap, but not as good as I might have expected.
Depends on your tap water composition. Our very soft water in Wales contained very little in the way of salts. I know of several knowledgeable people who topped up batteries with it.

JayDomK

Visit site
I once made tea using water from my Meaco DD8L (dessicant) and it was undrinkable. A compressor type dehumidifier (as Roger points out) is probably producing pure water.
I assume this device is not designed to produce potable water. I wouldn't risk drinking from it. Unless I wanted a thrill.

JayDomK

Visit site
It is probably the air itself that is different. If the air is more or less clean, the result will be more or less clean. Provided the parts of the device are clean.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I assume this device is not designed to produce potable water. I wouldn't risk drinking from it. Unless I wanted a thrill.
+1 Most desiccants are hygroscopic substances that dissolve in water absorbed from the air. Salt does it to a small degree - that's why it gets damp and clumps up on board (yes, you can put a few grains of rice in with it!) So the liquid resulting from the use of a desiccant is a concentrated solution of whatever they used - I'd imagine Calcium Chloride is a major component. They usually put a dye in the desiccant material so the resulting solution is brightly coloured to warn you NOT to drink it !